·
A D M I N in training
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any wheel able dunes near angleton tx?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Never heard of Angleton til I maquested it. Looks to be close to Galveston and the coast. Are you referring to beach dunes or sand dunes? If beach dunes, I don't think it's legal to wheel on the dunes themselves although I understand you can drive on some the beaches near there, just not the dunes or vegetation further inland from the beach sand.

If sand dunes, then I doubt there are any around there. You'd probably have to drive 10 or more hours to West Texas to find any sand dunes, like maybe near Big Springs or Kermit, but I really don't know.

·
A D M I N in training
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks angleton is kinda of big but not much bigger than lake jackson

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Well, if it's where I think it is, and if you're looking for areas to legally trail ride near you, then my best guess is that Spring Creek is probably the closest to Angleton, which is relatively near Houston. Hope this helps.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
Wassup, Ironhorse! Matagorda Beach is about an hour Southeast of Angleton. There is close to 22 miles of beach with vehicle access. Once you get past 9-10 miles from the entrance, there are some trails behind the dunes going back to East MAtagorda Bay. The sand is very soft, and will easily devour a fullsize 4WD vehicle. However, there is some awesome wheeling right along the beach. While the first 10 miles is relatively flat, furher on turns into shell cliffs and ledges. You need a $6 annual permit to drive on the baech, which you can get at area convenince stores. Check out www.matagordabay.com or www.matagordatourism.com for webcam and info. There is a new entrance to the beach behind the condos that I see noobies stuck at alot. The sand next to the dunes is very soft and will bury you, too. Once you get to the surf, it's often hardpacked sand and easy driving. Need to be aware of the tides if you travel several miles, since it can be rough driving next to the dunes. The area is not maintained like Galveston, and there's quite a bit of debris from offshore rigs as well as large trees you have to drive around. If you want to check it out and need a guide, let me know. I try to fish the surf a few times a month.

I haven't been to Surfside Beach in quite a while, but it used to be really hard to impossible to drive the beach there for very far. It's located in Freeport, TX which is a few miles away from you. I quit going there due to the gang problems and constant shootings on Holiday weekends.
There's also PINS (Padre Island National Seashore) in Corpus Christi, about 2 hours Southeast down the Coast. Miles and miles of beach access there ,too. JSM84

·
A D M I N in training
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
have u been there?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just got back from Matagorda. We have a place down there. I took the bronc out wheelin for the 1st time, and had a blast. Drove the beach for a while then hit the mud pits behind the dunes. I dont have tires that are very good in the mud, but I was very suprised of how well a stock 302 w/ stock tires did. I was doing great for about 45 min, then I got caught up in a big pit and was unable to get out. Found a big cummins to pull me out. It was alot of fun and very managble in a stock truck, but also had enough stuff for more aggressive trucks.

Selkirk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey, I know this is an old thread but wanted to say 'Hi!'. I live in Lake Jackson and just got an 89 full size. White with red down the side, it has a roof rack made by the PO. Other than that, not a lot of identifiable stuff. I got it last weekend, taken it to Quintana a couple times, both times I ended up getting someone else un-stuck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts