Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of 4 new 32" Dunlop Mud Rovers but have yet to try them in the mud. I have put about 10,000 street miles on them so far and they have bben great. Almost no tread wear. But I want to know if anyone know how well they will be in the mud, the tread looks real nice, I think they will work pretty good anyone know anything about them? Heres a pic of one.

And these two reviews said they are some of the best mudders http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/dunlop_mudrovers/page2.asp
http://www.dirtroadmagazine.com/dunlop.htm
But I wanted to hear from some bronco owners those review are about jeeps, so lets hear it!

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
A buddy of mine has some 35" ones on a grand cherokee. They did pretty darn good. I bought 33's but they were on a 3 month back order at the time, so i got an "upgrade" to steel radial mud kings for free....

·
Registered
490 Posts
i have them in 31x10.50

they are great, treated me very well so far, havent used in heavy mud yet

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
They're awesome in the mud. I was going through mud and I mean thick swampy mud up to the tops of the tires. Several time I got stuck over the top of my front bumper and had to dig for tow points in thick stuff. They really rocked in the mud. For a daily driver they were poor. Mine didn't balance out each one was over 6 ounces off so I kept throwing wheel weights off and eventually ended up bead balancing them. In the snow they are awful, it's similar to driving a 5000lb figure skater. I put about 10k on mine and I'd say they have 70% left but I put a glass bottle through one near the side wall, it's patchable but I didnt patch it. I drive to school almost every day in 1-5" of snow and I swapped them out for a set of BFG Mall Terrains. So if anybody wants a nice set of 33x12.5x15 dunlops let me know $200 obo could arrange delivery in WI, MN, MI and IL

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. Its sorta funny though because at the first review I posted over at rockcrawler.com they loved em in the snow. They even said they went ice racing at a track and got really good traction. But maybe it worked better on the jeep since it didnt weigh 5000lbs?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
i can vouch for their shittiness in the snow. on Todd's truck they sucked something hardcore in the snow it was like driving with drag slicks in the snow. He slide all over the road. But in the mud he got deeper in the holes then most of us dreamed. Crap we had a hard time getting him out.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
i think the snow handling depends on what else you have driven in the snow. I mean, if you have an AWD car with snow tires...then go to driving a beastly bronco around in the snow, its porbably gonna suck no matter what tires are on it

Could account for the varied opinions....just thinkin out loud

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
well i drove my bronco in the snow with Goodyear A/T's, Goodyear MT/R's and they were decent now i have my tahoe i drove this with firestone A/T's they were horrible. and now BFG A/T's and they are great compared to the rest of the bunch. The MT/R's are the second best out of the 4 set of tires.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Had them on my 84 F150, were great in the mud, however, the BFG M/T's I had on my 97 F250LD were a bit better. Also the BFG's were better in the snow.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
i just switched a set of 35x12.5 out. i drove them into the ground.
they were pretty good, not great in the snow, even aired down a little, but not horrible. i ran some good trails in all kinds of terrain and they were really pretty good. i just ran the same set thfough ocala and in the mud they were better than i thought they were going to be. in sand they were way better than i thought also.
they did balance poorly, wear poorly and were really bad in the rain. but overall they weren't all that bad.
i just got a set of baja radials and they so far seem to be much better, at least on the street, they are rolling better, quieter.
i am not likely to buy another set of dunlops, i would go gy.mtr's, if i were to go that way again, but since the truck is not going to be a dd for much longer, it aint gonna happen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ToddACimer said:
They're awesome in the mud. I was going through mud and I mean thick swampy mud up to the tops of the tires. Several time I got stuck over the top of my front bumper and had to dig for tow points in thick stuff. They really rocked in the mud. For a daily driver they were poor. Mine didn't balance out each one was over 6 ounces off so I kept throwing wheel weights off and eventually ended up bead balancing them. In the snow they are awful, it's similar to driving a 5000lb figure skater. I put about 10k on mine and I'd say they have 70% left but I put a glass bottle through one near the side wall, it's patchable but I didnt patch it. I drive to school almost every day in 1-5" of snow and I swapped them out for a set of BFG Mall Terrains. So if anybody wants a nice set of 33x12.5x15 dunlops let me know $200 obo could arrange delivery in WI, MN, MI and IL

What about Indiana? Got a picture of em?

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
magnumpi said:
i think the snow handling depends on what else you have driven in the snow. I mean, if you have an AWD car with snow tires...then go to driving a beastly bronco around in the snow, its porbably gonna suck no matter what tires are on it

Could account for the varied opinions....just thinkin out loud
I'm pretty sure you couldnt drive worth shit in the snow no matter what. Ryan will vouch for me doing 55 at opposite lock with the dunlops they dont hook up worth shit in the snow but they're fun. I've never 4 wheel drifted that well in 4x4 as I did with the dunlops.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
pics

They glass cut on the inside, probably patchable

Tires are with me in South Range, MI. My parents are coming up next weekend could deliver them back to Chicago. $200

·
I see Broncos
6,010 Posts
I have had the remmington version of that tire and just loved them, good traction dry wet sand dirt mud, no opinion on snow never got any of my sets in the snow (I have had 3 sets) but elsewhere they worked great. The only real diffrence between those and my remingtons is the remmys have a little bit of siping in the lugs but otherwise they are the same tire. Each set I got at least 40K out of one I pushed to almost 48K

·
Registered
976 Posts
I so far am highly impressed by them. Bang for the buck theyu are great as far as snow havent had them their yet but for mud they are great, they clean very well and keep you moving forward. I can see if you are in packed snow probably not the best, powder they should do well. I run mine in alot of sand/rock type enviroments and they do very well. I wish they were a bit stickier feeling in the rocks but so far they have not let me down.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have them on my 88 for a year now and i think they are alright in winter. in 4wheel your ok but in 2wheel its hard to get traction in the snow. Ive ended up going the opposite direction a few times after giving a little gas. The one thing I dont like about them is i think the rubber compound is too soft. Mine are pretty cut up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts