Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Ford Bronco Custom
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just had a quick question. I have the Duraspark II ignition system in my 78 bronco with a swapped 400 out of a 77 pickup. I'm trying to wrap my head around the Ballast resistor and resistor wire. I understand the purpose to retard the voltage to 9v from 12v to not overheat the ignition coil.

If you could see the attached picture and explain where the ballast resistor or resistor wire would be or if I even need it?

Attachments

·
Registered
1978 Ford Bronco Custom
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello, just had a quick question. I have the Duraspark II ignition system in my 78 bronco with a swapped 400 out of a 77 pickup. I'm trying to wrap my head around the Ballast resistor and resistor wire. I understand the purpose to retard the voltage to 9v from 12v to not overheat the ignition coil.

If you could see the attached picture and explain where the ballast resistor or resistor wire would be or if I even need it?
I figured it out. Ford puts a resistor wire near the ignition switch from factory. Its the pink wire under the dash. If this wire is damaged or missing, since its difficult to replace, you just put a ballast resistor of equal resistance in the circuit.

To check, just read out the voltage from the coil, if its reading 12v, you need a resistor.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
556 Posts
learned it, as I have 12v at the coil, no ballast, the coil is shot, but plugs are still firing, but maybe not strong enough.

but good info you give, to have others learn it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts