Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On hot days I'll let my truck idle with the air conditioning on for 30 minutes or even sometimes (rarley) 1.5 hours. I only do this when its really hot outside and I have the dog with me. I'll let him sit in the back seat while I'm in a store/restaurtant/or where ever and have the A/C going to keep him from getting too hot. There is no problems at all with the radiator handeling this, and since its so hot and for a short period of time I know there won't be any wet stacking problems. I'm just was wondering if theres any other issues that can come up from doing this? I'm hopeing that me doing this regularly through the summer hasn't contributed to all the EGR problems I have had.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,531 Posts
extended idle will cause a coking buildup within the intake manifold, egr cooler and egr vavle itself. this can cause the egr valve to stick once it gets an excessive coking build up on it. Also the egr cooler will plug up and cause check engine lights etc. I doubt you will have that problem since you dont let it idle all day or everyday. this is mainly a problem with low mileage trucks that idle all day. so yes this can be a result of why they have had to put several egr vavles in it. fuel quality can have huge part in how much coking does get built up. I would recommend running the ford diesel cetane boost additive if you contuine to let it idle. also after an extended idle i would jump in the truck and run piss out of it. I mean put your foot on the floor. do a few WOT accels from a light or whatever. this will help heat of the intake manifold and burn off that coking deposits. you may also notice some black or white smoke from the tailpipe the first couple WOT accels. dont be afraid to romp on it hard.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well since I put the exhaust and tuner on it I run it WOT on a regular basis.

I'll check in to that cetane booster if you think it might help. Will the Ford parts counter guy know what it is?

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,531 Posts
he should. I can get you a part number if you need.Its real good stuff. I recommend running it

·
Registered
276 Posts
They usually have it sitting on the counter when I go to the stealership.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
MikE2 said:
On hot days I'll let my truck idle with the air conditioning on for 30 minutes or even sometimes (rarley) 1.5 hours. I only do this when its really hot outside and I have the dog with me. I'll let him sit in the back seat while I'm in a store/restaurtant/or where ever and have the A/C going to keep him from getting too hot. There is no problems at all with the radiator handeling this, and since its so hot and for a short period of time I know there won't be any wet stacking problems. I'm just was wondering if theres any other issues that can come up from doing this? I'm hopeing that me doing this regularly through the summer hasn't contributed to all the EGR problems I have had.

yep, pretty much everything Dustin just said.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts