Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on using these axles in a Ranger but the truck had some title problems, so instead these axles will go into my 83 trail rig. This swap will start off at a snails pace but should take off Summer 2012 and hopefully done short after.

Vehicle:
1983 Bronco
Stripped down to the absolute bare essentials
4.9 inline 6
C6 trans
Np208
Mix and match 35" tires

The Pig

Plans:
D44 solid front w/ leaf springs
Lunchbox Spartan locker, 4.88s
9" spooled rear, 4.88s
Np435 slush box
Np205
37s
Slowly make upgrades to the D44 such as CrMo axles, etc

Current parts pile:
76-77 D44

Late 70s 9" axles, one to build, one as spare parts

Np435

Still looking for the np205

Fred

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starting off by removing the wedges

Then some disassembly

Ready for some new parts.

Fred

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
diggn' the half doors:thumbup
Thanks man. It was first set ever. I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out. Next time I'll incorporate some more creativity.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Waiting for parts, so time to turn the attention to the 9"

I was scraping off all the old grime on the housing and this fell off, any ideas where it goes?

Round 1 with the wire wheel

This kept getting in the way

Goodbye

Stripped and 2nd round with the wire wheel

Time to start gathering more parts.

Fred

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is where I need help. I'm looking for about a 2-4" lift from the leaf springs. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to start looking?

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,880 Posts
spool out back huh, this isnt a DD i take it.

as for lift just look into AALs or do a shackle flip out back. going to a solid front end your going to get at least 6" lift upfront.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
Here is where I need help. I'm looking for about a 2-4" lift from the leaf springs. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to start looking?
You have a couple of different options. Cheapest and best ride quality would be to keep your factory springs and you can use an add-a-leaf and shackle flip. Plus the shackle flip will help with articulation if set up properly. That'll net you about 4-4.5" of lift.

Other than that, 4" Lift leaf springs are the equivalent of a 6" Lift (2" lift is just a 2" front spring, 4" lift is 4" front springs and 2" leaves, 6" lift is 6" front springs and 4" leaves etc etc) so you have to be careful mix and matching.

What size coil springs are you running in the front?

·
Too poor for FSM
1,395 Posts
I didnt even know that the wedges on a radius arm 44 came off....
How hard are they to get off?

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,816 Posts
[hijack]
They only come off on the 77 and older axles. Just grind down the welds and they come off like any other bracket on the axle. On the 78 & 79, they cannot be removed.
[/hijack]

2" lift is going to be very hard to get, but 4" shouldnt be a problem.
I would probably start with stock front F350 leafs, or front K5 leafs, as both are all but flat. Then run a stock length shackle out back, and build the front spring hangar as short as you can to still get a good caster angle.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the SAS is back on with it will be with either radius arms or a 3 link. More to come soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts