Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Too many broncos!
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have some engine upgrades in my future, so decided that it would be a good idea to Dyno the truck now and see how the upgrades workout. Unfortunately i didn't do this before my exhaust upgrade (Y-pipe) back.. but it should be interesting none-the-less.

Now to be upfront, iam not an experienced gear head and don't have allot of knowledge in this area, so i'm learning as I go. I'm interested in your opinions and ideas, however I'm pretty set on some aFR-165 heads and maybe some headers.. again i replaced everything Y-pipe back

I know the basics of the Dyno results and talked to the tech as we worked through it and did the runs. For being almost a stock 302 with 95K it seems to be doing ok.

My current config:
engine stock, y pipe 3" through cat, reducer to 2.5" to muffler out.
35" tires, 4.56 gears

The stock original config for a bronco that i found was:
1994 5.0 (302 ci) - 185 hp @ 3800 rpm - 270 ft/lb @ 2400 rpm

The first chart was through all the shift points, overdrive off.

the 2nd and 3rd charts are from 2nd gear runs

anyway here are the results.

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
not too shabby man, not too shabby, for what you have done, i would be happy

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
pretty sweet numbers. my stock 5.8 made 170/258

·
Registered
196 Posts
That's awesome, most people don't ever dyno a Bronco so good info.
The HP is very high considering 185HP was crank before drivetrain loss and your still making more then that at the rear wheels.
Was it a dynojet or some other brand dyno?

·
Too many broncos!
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's awesome, most people don't ever dyno a Bronco so good info.
The HP is very high considering 185HP was crank before drivetrain loss and your still making more then that at the rear wheels.
Was it a dynojet or some other brand dyno?
I believe it was a DYNOmite dyno setup..

·
Registered
326 Posts
Landshark99, what's the latest news on the truck? I have to get my Bronco on the dyno for some "before and after" numbers.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Looks like the dyno is STD correction instead of SAE. That likely adds about 15-20 peak Hp to his numbers. But good numbers none the less especially with big tires.

·
Too many broncos!
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Landshark99, what's the latest news on the truck? I have to get my Bronco on the dyno for some "before and after" numbers.
Well for the time being I have decided to leave the engine as is as I do have low miles and It's running really well. In addition I just regeard and honestly I couldn't be happier with the lower gears - went from 4.56 to 4.88 - , the Bronco really pulls up these mountains now. Also I have an SAS in the works so that been taking up most of my attention. But honestly I have decided to enjoy the truck and run it as is for a while as I have done allot to it in the last 2 years.

I have most of the parts to build up the engine, but honestly I'm not ready to tear down it down.. I will probably buy a 302 roller block and build that up separately and then do a swap. I haven't ruled out a 351 either :)

In any case I will let it run for a while and enjoy it!

Looks like the dyno is STD correction instead of SAE. That likely adds about 15-20 peak Hp to his numbers. But good numbers none the less especially with big tires.
Yup the technician did say something along those lines. But I was impressed with the number none the less.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
OP, good job, I need to dyno mine to see what it can do. What I would suggest is for you to record the temp and base timing if you haven't done so. If you make any other changes, you can use this information as a reference. If you ever start dyno'ing with a eec modifier, you should data log your session. It would be very interesting

I highly doubt it would be that big of a difference, your only talking 2-3% difference between Standard & SAE. So at worst his peak 198hp could be 4hp off.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Your right! I keep thinking in terms of 500-600 rwhp mustangs. You can pick up quite a few hp by increasing base timing until it causes detonation then back it off a couple degrees. You would need to run 93 octane though. Don't be surprised if you re-dyno the numbers could be off quite a bit from the last dyno run. I dyno'd 557rwhp then a week later it dyno'd 574rwhp at a different shop on the same brand dyno with no changes.
Good numbers on your bronco.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts