Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trans is shot. trying to find a good e4od reasonably priced around here is rediculous! my dad has a 2wd e4od with very low miles on it. what is involved in making the 2wd trans into a 4wd trans?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just have to replace the output section... of course that means you have to completely dissassemble the whole thing :toothless

Well, maybe I spoke too soon. Some years had a snap ring that held the parking pawl in place (big failure mode) the later ones had a different style output shaft that was machined to keep the pawl in place w/o a snap ring. The output shaft is probably a different length for the 2x vs 4x, I'll look at my books for that.

What model years for the 2 trannys?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looked through the books I've got and the output shafts appear to be different.

To make it work both trannys would have to be torn down all the way to the reverse planetary to remove the output shaft snap ring so you can swap the output shafts.

I've done it, but wouldn't suggest it unless you've got a lot of time on your hands and either feel like buying or building some specialty tools.

Another thing to consider if you've got the transmission that far apart is to go ahead and rebuild. If you go that route get an ATSG manual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts