Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searching and I found Stangmata's guide to problem solving for the tranny issues in the E40D. It said the hard shift between 1-2 is normal, my question is- is it normal for the tranny to make the 1-2 @3,000 rpm's? No matter what you do, it only shifts at 3,000 rpm's. All other gears shift fine.

What do you guys think?

Thanks-

Aaron

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VSS or transmission nuetral sensor
What is the nuetral sensor? the neutral safety switch? and how does that affect the shifting- forgive my ignorance, I know nothing about these trannies.

I sent you pm to, I have a few questions about your SAS if you have time to take a call.

Thanks-

Aaron

·
Registered
290 Posts
Mine does a similar thing

Goes up to 3k then shifts really hard at about 22mph. Does the same (but softer) at 40mph. All the higher gears seem to shift fine.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,536 Posts
The VSS and the trans range sensor are very important for proper solenoid operation, as well as TP sensor position.

·
Super Moderator
26,992 Posts
yo,
a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19

Look Codes up in my broncolinks.com site using the new Search function if in a hurry.

And Post em here according to
KOEO
&
KOER

is Amber ABS light on all the time?
same for CEL
and Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) (OD on/off) Switch/ LED

Late 1-2 Upshift; "...Accumulator Body Problems; The small valve indicated in the picture above will wear the hole causing the small valve to stick partially open. When the valve would stick, it caused a late 1-2 upshift, you actually had to let up on the throttle for it to shift, then all of the other shifts were perfect. We spent hours checking the TPS Sensor, PCM..."
Source: by specialtytrans.com

DTC 617 - 1-2 shift error. "...IF this code persists and you have noticed shift problems while driving, its going to be a shift servo inside the E4OD tha has failed. (Computer needs to control when the tranny is shifting)..."
Source: by greystreak92

DTC 634; "...Hard 1-2 shift after she warms up...1-2 accumulator problem. Also the line modulator valve can cause intermittent harsh shifts, but generally it would happen on more than one gear change..."
Source: by Baumann Electronic Controls, LLC becontrols.com

DTC 91 & 92 in E4OD; "...1-2 Shift solenoid circuit failure; 93 Coast clutch solenoid circuit failure(e4od), 94 Converter clutch solenoid circuit failure, 99 Electronic pressure control circuit failure, and another with two descriptions. 56 TOT reads & minus 40deg. F or circuit open and 56 Vaf or MAF circuit amove maxium voltage; I'd try pulling & cleaning the shift solenoid pack connector, and then inspect the lines from the PCM to that connector for shorts and opens. All of those codes are pointing to a problem with the connections to the solenoid pack, in the harness, or in the solenoid pack itself. I wouldn't keep driving it like you are, though. The 'default' gear is 4th, so you're creating a lot of heat trying to get going..."
Source: by SigEpBlue (Steve) at FSB

This book goes for $35.00; dnload & save
E4OD Description & Operation, Identification Tag, Parts Break-Out Diagram w/Nomenclature, Seals, Rings & Gaskets Locator, MLPS/Transmission Range (TR) Sensor & Lamp Operation, Transmission Shift Patterns, Main Components & Functions, Electronic Control System, Diagnosis & Testing, In-Vehicle Service, R&R, Cleaning & Inspection, Specifications, & Special Service Tools/Equipment; "...Covers assembly, dis-assembly, diagnosis, troubleshooting, and electronic controls & operation..."
Source: by Automatic Transmission Service Group (ATSG) via akpp.in.ua @ http://akpp.in.ua/files/program/FORD/E4OD.pdf

same for this book:
E4OD Update Handbook; "...covers engineering changes that have occured from 1989 to 1995, parts affected by the change, interchangability & part numbers. Includes: Valve body and checkball changes thru 1996; 1989-1995 valve body checkball location; 1996 valve body checkball locations; early 1989 case checkball locations; late 1989 case checkball locations; 1990-1995 case checkball locations; 1996 case checkball locations; spacer plates and identification; main valve body differences and identification; lower valve body differences and identification; case differences and identification; output shaft changes; overdrive section failure; 4th clutch snap ring change; low roller clutch inner race change; cooler line fitting changes; low roller clutch assembly change; overdrive sprag changes; ball bearing center support change; overdrive carrier and input shaft change; cast iron overdrive carrier; direct clutch housing change; solenoid pack change for 1995 models; front pump change for 1995 models; intermediate servo piston change; sun gear differences; 1989-1995 valve body; 1996 valve body (exploded view); new design pump cover and stator shaft (blocked cooler); reverse clutch lip seals for 1996; larger design low roller clutch change; new design forward ring gear hub and planetary; ew design overdrive clutch piston and housing; cooler by-pass valve added to some 1997 models; lube orifice cup plug added to 1997 models; new design front pump for 1997-1998 models; new design 6 pinion forward and rear planetary arriers; new design sun shell; ntermediate diode freewheel failure; increased overdrive clutch capacity..."
Source: by Automatic Transmission Service Group (ATSG) via akpp.in.ua @ http://akpp.in.ua/files/program/FORD/E4OD-HB.pdf

Aaron, Forgot to mention soon in your profile, include your year, engine, trans, Xfer case & locking hub type (auto or manual) and any major mods such as body or suspension lift, etc. or in any question post. You'll get more accurate replies

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info Miesk5. The bronco I bought is still in florida, I'll have it in a week or so. My avatar pic is what I bought anyway. I'll post more pics and info once I get it and post the progress of the build I plan on doing- the SAS, updating the interior-front seats are shot, 6" lift, roll cage for Silver Lake Sand Dunes, rims and 35" tires. Its basically going to be just a summer cruizer- the body and under carraige are in excellent condition-rust free so I want to keep it out of the MI salt.

The motor runs great even though it has a ton of miles on it but I need to see if I can figure out what is going on with the 1-2 shift- I am planning on running the stock combo for awhile so I want to try the cheap fixes first then do a big block and C6 swap later down the road.

·
Super Moderator
26,992 Posts
yo Aaron,
ok, gl and post the build pics..always good to see more info and builds here.

·
Crusher Mike
6,111 Posts
What is the nuetral sensor? the neutral safety switch? and how does that affect the shifting- forgive my ignorance, I know nothing about these trannies.

I sent you pm to, I have a few questions about your SAS if you have time to take a call.

Thanks-

Aaron
yes the nuetral safety switch its odd to think it would have an effect but it does. I had the same problem when I was running 35s with stock gears when I put the 4.88 gear set in and changed the the speedo gear it went away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts