Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 93 xlt with a 5.0 and an e40d runs good and hasn't thrown any codes, but recently the transmission suddenly doesn't use 1st gear. All the other gears work fine. If I manually shift into 1st gear, it feels like I'm trying to accelerate with my foot firmly on the brake. Bump it into D and it just doesn't use 1st. From 0mph it wont shift till like 30-35mph then its normal operation. I replaced the fluid and filter probably 2.5 to 3 years ago with amsoil full syn. The fluid isn't burnt or low. Id like to know if this has happened to anyone else before and what might cause this. If its easily repairable without removing and rebuilding the transmission. I have purchased but have not yet installed a new mlps, or neutral safety switch. But I don't think that's it. Id like to install a punisher at some point. I prefer the firmer shifts. But, my truck does have 309k miles on it aswell. lol.
I'm currently preparing to remove and replace the unit but if I don't have to, I don't want to, ya know? Its cold as hell here lately and I'm currently in the middle of a total rear end rebuild on my Lightning. The garage floor is not my favorite place right now.

·
Super Moderator
23,696 Posts
Yo mettler,
Shift Concerns: No Manual 1st Gear
Possible Component​
Reference
Shift Concerns: No Manual 1st Gear
Possible Component​
Reference/Action​
216 — ELECTRICAL ROUTINE
Powertrain Control System
  • Electrical inputs/outputs, vehicle wiring harnesses, powertrain control module, shift solenoid 1, shift solenoid 2, Transmission Range (TR) sensor
  • Run On-Board Diagnostics. Refer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual for diagnosis. Perform Service Manual Pinpoint Tests A and D using Rotunda Transmission Tester 007-00085, Cable and Overlay 007-00107 and the Transmission Range (TR) Sensor Cable "B" (MLPS Manual Lever Position Sensor Cable) 007-00086 or equivalents as outlined in this section. Service as required. Clear codes, road test and rerun On-Board Diagnostics.
316 — HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL ROUTINE
Shift Linkage (Internal/External) or Cable
  • Damaged, misadjusted, not connected
  • Inspect for damage. Service as required. Verify linkage adjustment as outlined. After servicing linkage, verify that the transmission range (TR) sensor is properly adjusted. Refer to In-Vehicle Service in this section.
Main Controls
  • Bolts not tightened to specification
  • Retighten bolts to specification.
  • Gaskets damaged
  • Inspect for damage and replace.
  • Manual control lever, manual valve, low reverse modulator valve, 1-2 shift valve, 2-3 shift valve, BS1 check ball, 4-3-2 timing valve — stuck, damaged
  • Inspect for damage. Service as required.
  • Shift solenoid 1 malfunction
  • Refer to Electrical Routine No. 216.
  • Air bleed for shift solenoid 1 circuit damaged or missing
  • Inspect for damage. Replace case.
  • Wrong parts used in rebuild
  • Verify that proper parts were used.
Low One-Way Clutch Assembly
  • Damaged, misassembled
  • Inspect
  • Rotunda Transmission Tester 007-00085, Cable and Overlay 007-00107 and the Transmission Range (TR) Sensor Cable "B" (MLPS Manual Lever Position Sensor Cable) 007-00086 or equivalents as outlined in this section. Service as required. Clear codes, road test and rerun On-Board Diagnostics.
  • miesk5 note, this is the self test for codes.
  • E4OD Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) is a LED and overdrive on/off switch at end of the Transmission shifter stalk; flashing OD light is an indication of a transmission related trouble code in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
    Is it flashing while driving?
  • ●●● MLPS TEST w/ Connector Pin Diagram w/colors by RLA @ https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford-trucks.com-vbulletin/1004x637/80-1993_f_series_mlps_pinout_and_testing_2cb56e2ae312f5db2a43e732b5c9092d719e2c82.jpg
316 — HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL ROUTINE
Shift Linkage (Internal/External) or Cable
  • Damaged, misadjusted, not connected
  • Inspect for damage. Service as required. Verify linkage adjustment as outlined. After servicing linkage, verify that the transmission range (TR) sensor is properly adjusted. Refer to In-Vehicle Service in this section.
Main Controls
  • Bolts not tightened to specification
  • Retighten bolts to specification.
  • Gaskets damaged
  • Inspect for damage and replace.
  • Manual control lever, manual valve, low reverse modulator valve, 1-2 shift valve, 2-3 shift valve, BS1 check ball, 4-3-2 timing valve — stuck, damaged
  • Inspect for damage. Service as required.
  • Shift solenoid 1 malfunction
  • Refer to Electrical Routine No. 216.
  • Air bleed for shift solenoid 1 circuit damaged or missing
  • Inspect for damage. Replace case.
  • Wrong parts used in rebuild
  • Verify that proper parts were used.
Low One-Way Clutch Assembly
  • Damaged, misassembled
  • Inspect

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm suspect of the solenoid pack. I may just replace the solenoid pack and install the new mlps and see if that fixes it. The fluid is less than 10k miles old. Im not getting any flashing od light. I need to really dig into the shifter cable alignment too. I had swapped in a c3p2 ecu and after that I noticed wot 1-2 shift was strange. It would slip real hard and then like side step the clutch and bang into 2nd gear. Idk, all else fails I install a couple new parts to find out the trans is actually broken and I still have some new parts for the next one. lol Thank you miesk. I'll update this post when I learn more.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It works now. I threw parts at it till it worked. I had in my stash a new motorcraft mlps and I picked up a remaned servo pak and I installed a new punisher accumulator vb. new filter gasket and amsoil. it works better than ever. I never did get a trans code.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now its time to go back in and install new mevotech ball joints, new tracloc ls front and rear and the 4.10 gear sets I got. stoked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts