Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first, thanks guys for all the info on the 4x4 system stuff... Totally helped!!

Now i'm trying to tackle my second problem...

I THINK I have an E40D (93 w/ 5.8L...PRN OD 21), and even in regular ol city driving, especially when jsut taking it really easy, the tranny is all over the place with the shifts, acts like it can't find the right gear... I'm used to HARD shifts between gears and this has me a bit worried... Checked the tranny fluid (nice placement by ford on filling that stuff up...yikes) and it was perfect... If that is how mushy that tranny is, is there a shift kit to firm it up a bit?

·
Registered
‘90 EB Full Custom build -Mega Truck Bogger
612 Posts
I think you might have an AOD tranny in that year bronco..double check that first..if it is an e4OD I have had expirence with hard shifts as well...the speedometer cable can cause problems since its an electronic controlled tranny.....you can check there

·
Too poor for FSM
1,395 Posts
I thought AOD only came with the 302?
As for your problem i do not know, sorry

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
if it has a button (with an LED) on the dash to turn off overdrive, then it's an e40d. if there the shifter goes P R N (D) D 1 then it's an AOD.
i believe for that year with a 351, it should be e40d.

yes there are shift kits available. the e40d's from the factory are verrryyyy "smooth" shifting, which is the primary reason they have a bad reputation (soft shifts = high wear) this has been my experience, anyway.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
C'mon Kidz, pay attention. This is what he posted first;

..PRN OD 21

Jeeze, even Stevie Wonder can see that......:toothless

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
:stupid I'm with rhauf. That's what my E4OD says...

And, Yes! the E4OD shifts are veeeeery smooooth from the factory. After installing a Transgo Transmission Reprogramming Kit (PN E4OD-HD2-D), and then a B&M Racing ShiftPlus Electronic Shift Improver Kit (PN 70381), my shifts are moderately smooth when cruising and firm when I get on it.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,123 Posts
You do have an E4OD. This trans is computer controlled.

Sounds to me like you have over sized tires, and a PSOM that hasn't been calibrated.

What size tires are you running?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, led to turn the OD off.... Its DEFINITELY an e40D...

I think the tires are 35x12.5x15.... So yeah they are a bit larger, but not stupid big... TONS of other mods, that I'll have to list at al later date when I can actually find the list but I dont' think the tranny has ever been touched.... TOTALLy annoying soft "smoooooth" shifts, and then at about 40 if I'm not stomping on it, it can't seem to figure out which gear to be in... Yes, it is a 351, has the FIPK, Flowmasters (no headers though....that's going to change...as is the exhaust...Don't really like it much..) but I need to get the mechanicals sorted out first before the goodies...

My main concern is its gonna shred that tranny and quick shifting like that, and if I can either reprogram the shift points via EPROM or programmer, great!! If I need to do a B&M kit or what not, that's ok too. If I have to junk the tranny that's a problem... I was under the impression that the E40D is one of the "preferred" trannies for a FSB...

The only other MAJOR concern left is a small oil leak... The guy said it was a "main plug" or something??? said almost all the 351's had it and its not that big of a deal, but I do other stuff in my garage and i'm tired of the oil on the ground... :) We'll get to that later though... Tranny now... :)

So to fix, if I understand correctly, is reprogram shift points with a re-programmer? Any suggestions on brand? Type Model etc...?? Again, LOTS of programming experience on a Haltek E6K, but no Ford experience as of yet...

Option 2, Shift kit and all the necessary evils with that?

correct me if I'm wrong... and any suggestions on Reprogrammers is VERY much appreciated :) (also, I'm getting about 6-8 miles to the gallon if that... 36 gallon tank and I'm getting about 210 miles on it.... mostly "city" ie stop and go 45-50 mph max for about 15 miles a day...) New gears needed??

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,123 Posts
My main concern is its gonna shred that tranny and quick shifting like that, and if I can either reprogram the shift points via EPROM or programmer, great!! If I need to do a B&M kit or what not, that's ok too. If I have to junk the tranny that's a problem... I was under the impression that the E40D is one of the "preferred" trannies for a FSB...

So to fix, if I understand correctly, is reprogram shift points with a re-programmer? Any suggestions on brand? Type Model etc...?? Again, LOTS of programming experience on a Haltek E6K, but no Ford experience as of yet...
This is what you need to do and read.....

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55005

Literally a two minute job. Takes longer to read. And read the last post which is mine http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2350776&postcount=221

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Correction on my part..... The tires are 33x12.5x15 BFG's.... Sorry about that if that makes a difference....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im pretty sure all that's been done. It was a aftermarket stupid whiteface guage cluster from "Speed Dynamics", The speedo works fine and is pretty much spot on....

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,499 Posts
If you want to firm up your shifts get a valvebody from thePUNISHER. He is a vendor here. If you want to change the shift points you will need a Tweecer, Moates Quarter horse or a custom chip burned (assuming your PCM supports a chip/adapter on the J3 port).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts