Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i would like to put a an E4OD into my 88. I own and operate a motorcycle shop in portland so i am very mechanical so no issues with doing the work i would just like to know if this is a direct swap or with i have modify or change anything out i.e the shifter on the column, linkage, driveshafts, t conveters ect. please send me a link or be detailed in your response and thank you ahead of time. By the way my name is Robert

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,881 Posts
you have a lot of work ahead of you. wiring, computer, possible rear diff, drive shafts the list goes on. you would have an easier time going with a zf 5 speed manual to gain overdrive or look for an AOD which again is more of a drop in. What motor do you have in your bronco?

Im in oregon city, could swing by your shop and chat more about it

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you have a lot of work ahead of you. wiring, computer, possible rear diff, drive shafts the list goes on. you would have an easier time going with a zf 5 speed manual to gain overdrive or look for an AOD which again is more of a drop in. What motor do you have in your bronco?

Im in oregon city, could swing by your shop and chat more about it
I have a 5.0p efi, as far as i know the drive train and running gear is all stock. That would be great you can give me a call at 360-990-0885 if you want to swing by, that is my cell and shop phone thanks Robert

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
So i would like to put a an E4OD into my 88. I own and operate a motorcycle shop in portland so i am very mechanical so no issues with doing the work i would just like to know if this is a direct swap or with i have modify or change anything out i.e the shifter on the column, linkage, driveshafts, t conveters ect. please send me a link or be detailed in your response and thank you ahead of time. By the way my name is Robert
The simplest answer is to find a donor vehicle of 89-91 and swap everything you need. The rear end will not matter as an 88 takes the VSS signal from the VSS located in the tailshaft of the transfercase.

My truck is a 90 that was originally equipped with a 5.0/AOD from the factory. I found a donor F250 5.8/E4OD 91 truck and swapped. I used a newer 5.8 roller motor, I had built along with a newer E4OD I also had built. I used all the harnesses from the 91 donor. I had to swap linkages from the 91 donor to the newer transmission.

An easier route maybe the Baumann standalone transmission controller. I researched it some after I had already purchased the 91 donor truck. I probably would have went with this controller if not for money already spent.

If you go factory, pretty certain you have to swap most if not all of the harnesses. Engine, transmission of course, and seems like chasis too. Not too undoable, but not a walk in the park either. The reason I had to swap chasis harnesses may have been model year differences, but you will have that problem too, as the 88 wasn't available with the E4OD.

I am pleased with my swap, but depending on purposes and goals a properly built AOD may suit your needs just as well. I mostly swapped instead of building the ailing AOD in mine due to the fact Ford never put the AOD behind a 351, so I wanted it to "look" like it should have. Of course they never put a set of aluminum heads or GT40 intake on a 90 4X4 either. lol

You can research the advantages/disadvantages between the E4OD and the AOD transmissions and decide if one or both suit your goal.

hth
tim

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I have a 5.0p efi, as far as i know the drive train and running gear is all stock. That would be great you can give me a call at 360-990-0885 if you want to swing by, that is my cell and shop phone thanks Robert
I should have included this in my first post. You will need driveshafts from the donor vehicle. The front will be longer and the rear shorter. The linkages I spoke about are the "arm" on the transmission. There is an thread on here I have posted in detailing the proceedure. I have provided the link to someone in another thread. The original thread is detailing the differences in newer versus older E4OD transmissions. If you get the correct year one you will not have to be concerned with this. It seems like the "shift rod" from the column to the transmission is different and the transfer case linkage is different too.

After reading your last post, an AOD was an option in F series truck of this year with a 302, so probably were in the bronoco too. This swap shouldn't be too involved, although you will still need some of the parts mentioned. Find a similar year donor vehicle and you will be good to go.

tim

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should have included this in my first post. You will need driveshafts from the donor vehicle. The front will be longer and the rear shorter. The linkages I spoke about are the "arm" on the transmission. There is an thread on here I have posted in detailing the proceedure. I have provided the link to someone in another thread. The original thread is detailing the differences in newer versus older E4OD transmissions. If you get the correct year one you will not have to be concerned with this. It seems like the "shift rod" from the column to the transmission is different and the transfer case linkage is different too.

After reading your last post, an AOD was an option in F series truck of this year with a 302, so probably were in the bronoco too. This swap shouldn't be too involved, although you will still need some of the parts mentioned. Find a similar year donor vehicle and you will be good to go.

tim
I didnt realize there was an AOD when i was considering thw swap out until kemical had said something about it if it closer to a direct bolt up then i will go with it instaed i have found several on cl that will work just fine for what i want. I just want to have an over drive gear as this is a daily driver besides my bikes. thanks for the input though

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
I don't think it will work. It's a big block bolt pattern. A 351 (was an aod behind a 351?) or 302 will work. Well according to the sticky at he top of the section it was only behind a 302. Kind of weird. I don't know what the 460 engine and aod is then.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
now there is a guy on cl saying he has an AOD that was behind a 460 but if i read correctly on the tranny list in the stickys it says the AOD is for a 302 am i reading this wrong. Or ?

HERE IS THE LINK TO CL ADhttp://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/2716869525.html
You will need a transmission from behind a small block ford or a 300 six. (I think the six shares the same bolt pattern)

The transmission will bolt up to a 351 but never came behind one in a 4 wheel drive vehicle. It did come behind the 351 in some heavy ford passenger cars. But you will need a transmission from a 4X4. With all the other pieces you will still need, I'd look for a donor vehicle or at least a junkyard one you could pull everything different between the two.

If you are just wanting to increase fuel economy/drivability behind a 5.0, I'd look closely at the AOD. Good luck

tim

·
Registered
104 Posts
just fyi you will need an aod flywheel for the 351. aod flywheels are different than a c6 and the aod flywheel for a 302 is 50oz balanced. 351 needs a 28oz balance
e40d flywheel will be the same as c6

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I apreciate the feed back everyone i will be doing some research into it. and yes the main reason is to increase economy and drivabilty. I dont off road that much at as i have my dirtbikes and and street bikes to keep me busy so im not worried about that stuff.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Forward Some Money
5,054 Posts
This looks like what im looking for when i do the swap. Good write up. Did you ever find out how it improved in the highway.
I still haven't taken a road trip in it yet. The only thing I really notice is the significant reduction in RPMs and noise. At 70, it revs about 1500, with stock tires. If you have , or anticipate installing, larger diameter tires, you might then consider a bit of a (future) diff gear change. I know it sounds goofy, but with the AOD gearset, it's a little sluggish in first and 1500 is probably too low. Especially if you might be towing a boat out there.

I can definately live with it the way it is.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,881 Posts
yea i recommend following J.R's post on the swap. My work hours are kinda screwed but will see what i can do. that CL link regarding that AOD, not sure what crack that guy is smoking. that AOD he has isnt a standard AOD because the bellhousings cant be removed so he must have some sort of adapter plate.

when i had my 88 it came with a 5.0/AOD, after about 8months that way i swapped a 5.8 in and liked the combo alot. I will say thought that i never put the AOD into overdrive unless i was going over 55mph. the overdrive band on that tranny just doesnt like getting lugged around and can burn up. so if you find yourself not driving much on the freeway you might reconsider. What size tires are you running right now on your bronco?

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
yea i recommend following J.R's post on the swap. My work hours are kinda screwed but will see what i can do. that CL link regarding that AOD, not sure what crack that guy is smoking. that AOD he has isnt a standard AOD because the bellhousings cant be removed so he must have some sort of adapter plate.

when i had my 88 it came with a 5.0/AOD, after about 8months that way i swapped a 5.8 in and liked the combo alot. I will say thought that i never put the AOD into overdrive unless i was going over 55mph. the overdrive band on that tranny just doesnt like getting lugged around and can burn up. so if you find yourself not driving much on the freeway you might reconsider. What size tires are you running right now on your bronco?
I drove my 1990 F150 5.0/AOD combo for 120K+ miles with 33" tires. Most of those miles were with 3.55 gears. The last 1/3 were with 4.11 gears. But for about 2 years I drove the truck with a 3.00 gear. I know people say to use the OD sparingly. I NEVER did. The truck had 248K on it when I swapped out the combination. I am not the original owner, but am fairly certain the transmission was the original unit. Everywhere I went the truck was in OD unless I was towing something. Then it depended on what---lawnmower, usually still OD.

My truck regularly got 15mpg per tank full of all around driving. Granted I don't live in a major city, but did travel back and forth to Charlotte NC for work. This only dropped after the Maxis tires and the AOD started to show its age. The best mpgs were after the 4.11 gears, factory 5.0 mustang headers and dual exhaust. Those changes also helped the "power" factor a noticable SOTP amount.

hth
tim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts