Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! First off I love this site. I have found some great looking bronco's here and any tech questions I have read over everyone has seemed helpful.
Ok, here is some history: I have a 92 bronco with a 302 and e40d I traded for. When I got it it was starting in gear, regardless of where the shifter was put, it would only go forward, no reverse. I pulled the trans and replaced it with a new(rebuilt) e40d. New trans installed now and I'm still having issues. When I first installed the trans I only had 2nd and reverse. after doing a search here, I replaced the mlps and set it as directed. Still no change. I changed my coils in the trans this weekend and now I have 1st,2nd and reverse. No third or od . I cleaned all electric connections with cleaner and still no change. The fluid is right on the full mark, and looks like new with no burnt smell. So my question is could it be my torque converter? I have done a search and pulled codes and all I get a 111 code. Do any of you great gurus of the e40d have any ideas? Right now I am ready to give up and just put a c6 in my truck. Sorry the post is so long but I wanted to explain everything thus far. Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
Dont Give up. The E4OD is a good Trany. Keep working at it. Since you replaced it, Did you not go with a NEW Torque COnverter?
Is the E4OD you put in the same Year as the one you took out? If you had a early E4OD and put in a 95+ E4OD there could be wiring differences.
You could always have caused something else to break too. You know how old trucks are, fix one thing, break another. Sounds like you need Miesk to help you out.

Specs on your vehicle in your profile would greatly help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm working on the profile now. The trans came from a 93. The torque converter came from the 93 also, I didn't replace mine with a new one, probably should have. Also I noticed my od light on my shift lever won't light up on or off. I will add that I replaced the tps and the idle air control after doing some searches here also and I had a rough idle.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yeah I'm working on the profile now. The trans came from a 93. The torque converter came from the 93 also, I didn't replace mine with a new one, probably should have. Also I noticed my od light on my shift lever won't light up on or off. I will add that I replaced the tps and the idle air control after doing some searches here also and I had a rough idle.
So, both the trans and the converter are NOT new. Are you sure that the trans didn't have the problem before you installed it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The trans was rebuilt before install. But no it isn't new. I am in the process of changing the converter today with a fluid and filter to see if that does anything. After that, I don't know what else to change except transmissions again. But it will be a c6.

·
Super Moderator
26,961 Posts
yo jrock,
Just to confirm, did you do both KOEO And KOER...
The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test

and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test

Some guesses;
Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) & Switch/Cap Installation in 92-96; could be caused by a bad LED, switch or wiring worn at the column. At times the light may simply fail to light, flicker erratically, or glow very dim. Tapping the shift knob lightly may affect the operation of the LED, causing it to work temporarily. These complaints are usually due to a faulty O/D indicator LED. To replace the LED carefully pry the cap off the end of the shifter and pull the LED/switch out. Slide the new switch into position and snap the cap back on. Note: Don’t confuse the above conditions with a steady flashing pattern of the O/D cancel light. A steady rhythmic flashing pattern indicates a malfunction has been detected by the computer.; Part #F58Z-7G550-A. It is easy to replace & under $12.00 from local Ford dealer or a FSB Sponsor; Jeff's, or at some parts stores that carry Dorman HELP brand (#49299, Gear Shift Knobs and Bushings) OD Shift Button & Cap, Detailed Applications; Year Make Model Engine Application FORD TRUCK BRONCO V8 - 5.8L (351 CID): GAS: FI: N: HV8 - 5.0L (302 CID): GAS: FI: N: be ready to catch the switch/LED assy when prying it off; it is spring loaded..not much force; and; I need to look for my notes on what fuse blew due to a harness short under strg column that affected the OD Cancel Light (it blinked randomly, no Trouble Codes or tranny malfunctions though); think it was 6 or 7
Source: by miesk5 at FSB http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...highlight=Transmission+Control+Indicator+Lamp
Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) Troubleshooting in 92-96; "...because wiring may be misrouted causing a short in the steering column and a blown #17 fuse in TSB 92-22-5 for 92 Bronco & all Light Trucks
Source: by miesk5 at FSB

Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) Troubleshooting in 92-96; "...check the wires coming out of the shifter handle, I have had several trucks have those wires short out and cause some strange symptoms. Just pull the plastic cover off the top of the column and take a look, it's pretty obvious when it happens..."
Source: by jrainw

Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) Troubleshooting in 92-96; "... Several different complaints concerning the overdrive cancel indicator may occur due to a faulty O/D cancel LED. At times the light may simply fail to light, flicker erratically, or glow very dim. Tapping the shift knob lightly may affect the operation of the LED, causing it to work temporarily. These complaints are usually due to a faulty O/D indicator LED. To replace the LED carefully pry the cap off the end of the shifter and pull the LED/switch out. Slide the new switch into position and snap the cap back on. Note: Don’t confuse the above conditions with a steady flashing pattern of the O/D cancel light. A steady rhythmic flashing pattern indicates a malfunction has been detected by the computer.; Part #F58Z-7G550-A..."
Source: by ATC-Distribution Group Inc. atcdg.com via web.archive.org

Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) Troubleshooting in 92-96; "... The flashing OD light is an indication of a transmission related trouble code in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). When it has a trouble code related to the transmission it usually commands full line pressure to try to protect the transmission from damage. Normally this is caused by a transmission slip code. Have your computer scanned to see what transmission codes are stored. If it is a torque converter slip code keep in mind it could be stored from converter clutch slippage, or slippage in another transmission clutch pack ..."
Source: by Baumann Electronic Controls, LLC becontrols.com

Consider Ford Fuel Injection and Electronic Engine Control: How to Understand, Service and Modify, 1988-1993; & Ford Fuel Injection and Electronic Engine Control: How to Understand, Service, and Modify All Ford-Lincoln-Mercury Cars and Light Trucks, 1980 to 1987 by Charlie Probst
Available at Barnes & Noble, E bay, AMAZON, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mr Miesk, and to anyone else following along
I changed out my converter today and its still a bust. As before I have 1,2and reverse. But no 3rd or od. So I have ran out of ideas except maybe somehow during the rebuild someone screwed up. My next step is to bite the bullet and take it into a $hop..unless someone wants to trade my two e40d's for a c6 ha ha. Thanks to everyone who offered info. I greatly appreciate it. And if anyone has any other ideas please let me know because I won't be able to take it to a shop until after the holidays are over. Thanks again.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
.... sounds to me like a solenoid pack problem

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jason, I changed my solenoid pack out on Saturday. Also changed out the nss or mlps, tps and iac. I have read the alt can cause shift problems. I am going to try to pull codes again tomorrow so maybe something will show up. I believe I am the only person on the board that hopes his BKO is throwing codes haha.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
doesnt mean you didnt throw in a defective solenoid pack though... got access to an air compressor?

·
Super Moderator
26,961 Posts
yo j,
In case you need to test;
I have Solenoid Diagnosis & Testing, etc. LINKs in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=63
such as;
Solenoid Resistance Tests (ohms); "...Shift Solenoid 1: 20-30 Shift Solenoid 2: 20-30 Torque Converter Solenoid: 20-30 Coast Clutch Solenoid: 20-30 Electronic Pressure Control: 4.0-6.5..." READ MORE
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at FSB

Solenoid Resistance Tests in a 95
Solenoid Wiring Diagram
Solenoid, Shift Solenoid Operation Chart
etc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts