Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
FJ80 Expedition Rig
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently blew out the E40D in Tusk. :banghead I was actually so ticked off at one point that there was a for sale sign in it. But, I regrew my brain, and decided to keep her. So i was wondering, is it a lot of trouble to swap in AOD in place of an E40D (i've not heard good things about E40Ds, my dads went out on his bronco too) and if there are any benefits to doing this, like the price of the tranny, and mainly reliability :shrug

G

·
Get a good converter. Rebuild the trans it will last twice as long as the stock one did.

E4OD is heavy duty. Get and external trans cooler, less heat.

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
94_chickentaco said:
Get a good converter. Rebuild the trans it will last twice as long as the stock one did.

E4OD is heavy duty. Get and external trans cooler, less heat.
:stupid An E40D is stronger than an AOD anyway. Just get it replaced

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have about 150 miles on my rebuild and so far its real nice. Suppose to to be "bullet proof" bigger gears, servos blah blah blah. I did put a tranny gauge in it just to keep an eye on thing. It already has the tranny cooler in the radiator and an external one also and i have another external one that i might put on next summer. Plenty cold here now.:thumbup

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Bypass the radiator cooler...

The radiator gets hot enough as it is, With a good external, You shouldnt need the radiator cooler.

Mine was starting to shift hard on the highway, and i couldnt figure out why...bypassed the radiator and just to the external cooler....MUCH better.

Although, You may not have to deal with 95 degree weather, and 100% humidity on an almost daily basis.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yeah, what these guys said. The E40D isn't half bad with a good rebuild, but personally, I wish I took the money on the rebuild and put a manual in.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah my original plan is to by pass the rad cooler and run the 2 external coolers since the one is already hooked up. Since it is only 45 degrees out now and is only going to get worse i think it can wait until spring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.