Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi first off I wanted to say I am new here. I am going to look at buying another bronco to replace my 84 I had a few years ago. Well here is the problem. When you drive in with the OD light on it will shift into OD but it WILL NOT shift out of it. SO I have to turn the OD OFF to get it to down shift again. Then it will shift firmly and nicely into each gear. I searched and I am still not sure exactly what it can be. And what I am thinking is maybe the MLPS? but any suggestions would be great right now? thanks

Dave R

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

That little light on the end of your shifter, is an overdrive CANCEL button. Meaning, if you press it, the truck will NOT shift into overdrive. It will just go 1-2-3.

Your post wasn't very clear, maybe you could better explain what is going on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry when I posted that I was just getting off a long day of work. I will try to clarify my last post.

When I drive with the OD ON and go from say 50mph to 0 mph and then try to accelerate again the truck goes no where. It acts like it is still if 4th gear.

Then I will depress the OD button off, the Bronco will drive normal and I wait until around 45mph to press the OD button back on. The tranny will shift fine back into OD.

After that I will slow down to a stop with the OD button ON the truck will not move again until I turn the OD button off.

I sure hope this was a little easier to read. That was a terrible first post!

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
check your fluid and change it if you cant remember the last time it was done

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Ahhh there ya go... Yeah, check the fluid and see how it is, and change it if it hasn't been done in a long time. Check all the wiring on the side of the transmission and clean any contacts that are messed up. Pull the codes too and see if anything comes from the transmission.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Sounds like a sticky solenoid pack to me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I am going to pick it up today hopefully. I will check fluids then. Thanks for the help. I am coming from the world of Late Model mustangs to Broncos and restoring a 70 Mach I, so Fords are not new to me but E40Ds are.

SIPEPBlue: on the stickie solenoids. That is what my tranny guy guessed. Were are these and can I replace them without taking the tranny out? Also maybe a heads up on what the solenoid pack will cost?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checked fluid. It looks and smells perfect. I am going to change it anyways. I am also going to order a external cooler and an external filter. Kind of a stupid quesion but is the remote oil filter and tranny filter the same thing?

I went to pull codes but I must be blind as a bat! I can't find the connection for the tester? If you guys could help me out with that, it would help me out a lot!

Also I was wrong with what the tranny would do. It would actually act like it was in neatrul when the OD button is ON. Also the previous owner says it has a shift kit in it. Is there any way to tell if he is telling the truth or not. I mean I know the obvious that it does shift firmly like it does have a shift kit but I read when I was searching that the computer may do that as if it was in "limp" mode.

THanks

Dave

·
Super Moderator
25,823 Posts
Dave, what year do you have? a 90? see here for DTC troubleshooting Links; btw don't bother w/OBD II info.
if you have these DTC's:
67 Manual Lever Position Sensor Out Of Range/A/C On O/C
etc. bte, I suspect this DTC is iffy bec. other info does not show this as a MLPS possibility
some 3 digit DTCs fyi for later years
634 Manual Lever Position Sensor Voltage Higher Or Lower Than Expected C/O
667 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Below Minimum Voltage C/O
668 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Above Maximum Voltage C/O
675 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Voltage Out Of Range O/R
or
654 Manual Lever Position Sensor Indicating Not In Park During Self Test O
655 Manual Lever Position Sensor Indicating Not In Neutral During Self Test
wtc., see:
"...It would actually act like it was in neutral when the OD button is ON..."
E4OD Trouble Shooting info (OD light flashes, delay then a hard shift into 2nd gear, neutrals out intermittently in Overdrive & 4th gear) by becontrols.com
"My E4OD transmission neutrals out intermittently in Overdrive and 4th gear. It seems to be very erratic, sometimes you can make a 300 mile trip witout any problems, and other times it will neutral out 3 or 4 times on a 10 mile trip. When the problem is not present it works perfectly. What could cause this problem?

The most likely cause for the problem you describe is a bad manual lever position sensor (MLPS). The MLPS is also called a transmission range sensor (TRS). The problem is mainly related to water intrusion from a poor connector seal. Ford sells an update kit that comes with a new Range sensor, and an updated connector with an improved seal. The Ford part number for the update kit is F5TZ-7A247-AA. Your local Ford Dealer will sell this for around $100.00. You can order this sensor update package from us for $75.00."

E4OD Manual Lever Position Sensor (MLPS) article by Pete L via Ryan M (Fireguy 50) at fordfuelinjection.com

btw, Ford price is ~$103.00

more MLPS Links :
E4OD MLPS Adjustment Info & pic by Richard C (Bigric, Money Pit) at FSB Forums fullsizebronco.com
E4OD MLPS Alignment Tool, Ford E4OD (Atec model T-2327) illustration by The Parts Bin thepartsbin.com
E4OD MLPS No Start, due to, Ford by ocaelectrical.com
E4OD MLPS pic w/Alignment Marks (from a Mercury, but similar) by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperFord.org
E4OD MLPS pic & Failure Causes by motorcraft.com
E4OD MLPS Removal Discussion & Tips at fullsizebronco.com
E4OD MLPS Sensor Connector Diagram (no pin-out info) in a 92 by Richard C (Bigric, Money Pit) at SuperFord.org
E4OD MLPS Water Intrusion of TSB 95-2-12 by Ford for 89-94 via miesk5 (Al M) at comcast.net
see my site

E4OD Limp Mode, general by autotransinc.com doesn't sound like your problem unless i read your info incorrectly.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Solenoid packs are a hair over a hundred bucks. I wouldn't go through a Ford dealer, however. Do a search, there's a few reputable places that have them for much less than what Ford wants for them.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to pull codes first. The connector you're looking for is actually obscured a bit; it's hiding in a little black plastic housing that says EEC TEST in capital letters ~5mm high. You should be able to find it on top of the driver's side fender, towards the 'outside side' of the brake booster. There' actually two connectors there, one a single pigtail, the other a trapezoidal piece. All you need to pull the codes is a paperclip to act as a jumper wire, and they show which terminals there in the Haynes manual.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help.... I found the test connector. the plastic cover was missing and it was buried in other wires. I will pull some codes later today. thanks

dave

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry been working all day today. No codes were found. It gave me the code that it passed and that was it. SO I will be under the Bronco this up comimg week to figure out the problems. Also looking at it closer is that the Tranny has been painted blue. Ford didn't paint their trannies for the Broncos did they? I think it may have been overhauled at some point. THat explains the very very clean ATF and firm shifts. Any other suggestions?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts