Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any words of wisdom on how to remove the seal? Special tools? We have tranny out to replace the seal and can't get it and don't want to cause damage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
if anybody was wondering-seal puller from sears $7.99. 1 1/2 hours to find/get right tool and 2 seconds to use it. hope this helps if anybody ends up in the same spot

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
:beer A few of these too?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I did mine. Not really a problem getting it out, I took a flat piece of bar metal (1"), went to the grinder and made a slanted point on it. Just kept working it out - carefully. Putting the new one in: I happened to have a 18" long piece of PVC. The plastic pipe fit over the shaft and was a perfect size for the seal, tapped it in with a block of wood and a hammer. Don't remember the size of the pipe, I could go out in the garage and measure it. :-/ How about measure your seal and call the hardware store.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Make sure you blue loc-tite the new seal in. Fords' TSB for front Seal blow out (after repairing the cause) says loc-tite the new seal in, i thought 'I dont need to do that' and it blew out on me in less than 200mi.

·
#1 Asshole
1,452 Posts
Make sure you blue loc-tite the new seal in. Fords' TSB for front Seal blow out (after repairing the cause) says loc-tite the new seal in, i thought 'I dont need to do that' and it blew out on me in less than 200mi.
Thanks for that one I did not know that and will be changing one today before doing an install. The tranny I pulled had the same thing happen to it in about the same amount of miles and cost me a tranny(burnt 1st gear)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what does the loctite do for the seal? it was hard to get back in place but i guess if you had the tool for that job it would be easier.

·
#1 Asshole
1,452 Posts
I believe it will help to keep the seal from blowing out of the front pump.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts