Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi thanks for reading and any positive suggestions/opinions.

I’ve got a ‘93 with a 351w and an e4OD. Bought it from a gal who said the trans was “bad” because it was leaking fluid out of the inspection plug. She bought a new car the next day and didn’t even consider taking it in. Anyways I bought this thing for damn near nothing and got it running. I pulled the trans and replaced front pump seal and threw it back in the truck. No leaks. Sweet

I took it for a spin and had no issues, but a longer trip into town the next day (10 miles) almost left me stranded. Pump seal was leaking again. Started about a mile from getting back into my driveway.

I noticed my top radiator hose was tight and figured I may be needing a new thermostat soon. I’ll be replacing it tomorrow, but I am wondering if that could be what caused my trans to overheat and hemorrhage fluid past the front pump seal once again. My best guess is the trans cooler isn’t getting fluid from a system with a thermostat stuck in the closed position? I replaced the seal on the trans this afternoon (not stoked to be doing it yet a second time), and want to make sure I don’t end up doing this all over again to replace a 8 dollar seal hahaha we can all have a good laugh about that

Thanks for the help

-Scott

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Have a 4r70w explorer that did the same thing; I replaced the seal @96k on the rebuild. at exact @100k on the rebuild it exploded all it's fluid out while cruising 70 mph on the interstate. Took it apart. pan and torque converter full of clutch material. It throw a code on the last 1000 miles that I hadn't gotten a chance to pull. Ruined my whole year as I had to take it down again but this time install a JY 4r70w that is still working.

tldr: it's probably not going to work but if you want to waste your time try a bigger transmission cooler but it may end up getting filled with clutch material and ruined. There's local ads on craigslist for e4od rebuilds at $600. Probably the best route. That or pull a junkyard 4r100 and use it's internals on the rebuild.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts