Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went though a deep water hole and have lost 3/OD and reverse. so I have read the E4OD Diagnosis thread and still not having any luck.
I have checked for wet plugs and or lose wires, replaced the ALT and replaced the MLPS (checked it and wasn't getting any good readings off of it)
can i check the solenoid to see if its working?
something else I need to check before taking it to a shop

thanks

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Yup. Sounds like a bad solenoid pack. Check out stangmatas e4od diagnosis thread

·
Registered
263 Posts
also changed the filter and pulling no codes.

anyway to check the solenoid to see if its working?
You said you replaced the MLPS. Did you but did you check the sol pack plug on the passenger side of the trans? the plug stands straight up and if you went thru deep water, it could be pooled inside the connector. Also, the ecm can get flooded also, although I'd expect to see more codes.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Yes, I would ensure that the Solenoid Pack Connector is dry, but I would also look at the top of the transmission breather line for signs of water contamination and change the transmission fluid and filter looking for foaming or other contaminates. If you are going to regulary ford streams and other water obstacles, consider insulating the connectors with dielectric grease and relocating your trans and axle vents as high as possible with a filter.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep checked the solenoid plug and filled both with dielectric grease before putting it back together. changed the filter and fluid, fluid looked nice and bright red when I drained it.
will check the ecm today

·
Super Moderator
26,998 Posts
yuo,
Have it scanned for Codes for Free at a parts store; ensure that NO Matter What they may say, that bother Key-On, Engine Off AND w/engine @ norm op temp that the Key-On, Engine RUNNING tests are done.

Post Any Code(s) found here by
KOEO
and
KOER

Possible MLPS Codes are;
DTC 624, 625, P1746, P1747 The Electronic Pressure Control solenoid is a variable force solenoid. The variable-force type solenoid is an electro-hydraulic actuator combining a solenoid and a regulating valve. It supplies electronic pressure control which regulates transmission line pressure and line modulator pressure. This is done by producing resisting forces to the main regulator and the line modulator circuits. These two pressures control clutch application pressures. Failed off — maximum electronic pressure control pressure, harsh engagements and shifts. May flash transmission control indicator lamp. CAUTION: The electronic pressure control pressure output from the variable force solenoid is NOT adjustable. Any modification to the electronic pressure control solenoid will affect the transmission warranty. (*Output circuit check, generated only by electrical condition.) Possible causes, Damaged harness connector. Damaged EPC solenoid. Damaged MLP sensor. Intermittent harness continuity. Damaged PCM connector pins. Pin Point testing; READ MUCH MORE @ http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2452835

btw; Ford likes to confuse us by ref to the MLPS as da Transmission Range (TR) Sensor

P1705 Transmission Range (TR) Sensor Transmission Range (TR) Sensor not in park. On-Board Diagnostics not run in park. � Rerun On-Board Diagnostics in park
P0705 Transmission Range (TR) Sensor Transmission Range (TR) Sensor out of range. Indicated voltage drop across Transmission Range (TR) Sensor exceeds limits established for each position. Harsh engagements, firm shift feel. May flash TCIL
P0707 Transmission Range (TR) Sensor Transmission Range (TR) Sensor circuit below minimum voltage. Transmission Range (TR) Sensor circuit or powertrain control module shorted or grounded. Increase in electronic pressure control pressure.
P0708 Transmission Range (TR) Sensor Transmission Range (TR) Sensor circuit above maximum voltage. Transmission Range (TR) Sensor, circuit or powertrain control module indicates open. Increase in electronic pressure control pressure

P0783a Shift Solenoid 1, Shift Solenoid 2 or Internal Transmission Components 3-4 shift error. Engine rpm drop not detected when 3-4 shift was commanded by powertrain control module. Improper gear selection depending on failure mode and transmission range selector lever position. Refer to Shift Solenoid Operation Chart. Shift errors may also be due to other internal transmission concerns such as stuck valves or damaged friction material. May flash transmission control indicator lamp.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine just recently did this same thing after going through water.. My reverse came back when I changed the fluid but the 3/OD never did. I had to have the whole transmission rebuilt. It ran me 1500 for everything and newer parts that supposedly fix the problems with E4OD. Has been working fine ever since. But I like you thought it could be something easy like the alt, mlps, etc and replaced them but it did not fix it. Sorry to hear it but you could be looking at a full rebuild too

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tried pulling the codes again with the truck warmed up. didn't get any codes running or not. not sure if it means much but I have noticed the RPM's raise a little when shifting into reverse.
found a local shop that will hook it to their computer cheaply so I might take it down there

1 - 9 of 9 Posts