Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

I just finished draining the transmission pan and refilling the E4OD as part of the regular maintenance on my 93 Bronco (302 V8). After refilling with 4 quarts, I let the engine idle so it would warm up, and I started adding one quart at a time while going through the gears and checking the dipstick after each additional quart. I ended up adding about 9.5 quarts total til the fluid reached the top part of the crosshatch on the dipstick.

I noticed, however, a kind of hissing sound coming directly from the tranny at low idle when in Reverse, Drive, 2Low and 1Low. The hissing noise immediately goes away when in Park, Neutral, or if I give it a touch of gas to increase the idle speed. It test drove find around the block, too, but as soon as the idle got low, the hissing sound would come back.

I did a search and found this thread:

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20560&highlight=E4OD+sucking+air

According to that thread, BlancoBronco's E4OD was starving itself for fluid as the extra grommet left on the filter tube by a previous owner resulted in the filter sucking air. The hissing noise in my E4OD kind of sounds like a "sucking air" sound, but I did not change the filter. I only did a drain and refill. I did double-check to make sure the filter was on right by pushing up on it, but that was it.

Even so, I have no idea if the hissing sound on mine is the same thing as what happened with BlancoBronco's E4OD, or if it's normal and I simply didn't recognize it until now since I'm more cognizant of any sounds after having done the drain and refill. Sure, I can always drop the transmission pan again and pull out the filter to double-check there isn't an extra grommet, but if it's one of those normal noises, then I'd rather not have to go through the mess of dropping the pan again and buying 9.5 more quarts of Dexron III. Of course, if y'all tell me it ain't normal, then I'll just have to get messy again dropping the pan and buying more trans fluid.

Any advice, tips or opinions are welcome.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shadofax said:
Why did you decide not to change the filter?

Check your fluid level again? Still ok?
I had already installed an external, in-line trans filter and figured it would do the trick, so I didn't bother to change the regular filter above the pan. Plus, I'll admit it - I'm a lazy, cheap bastid - :toothless

Anyway, I'll go ahead and check the fluid level again to see if it's still in the crosshatch.

Thanks for the quick reply!

·
Lick my balls
13,048 Posts
Why would you not change the filter???? You can't even buy a tranny gasket without the filter. At least not at the parts store I deal with. But any ways, I'm sorry, I can't help you, except to say remove the pan again.

·
Lick my balls
13,048 Posts
equin said:
I had already installed an external, in-line trans filter and figured it would do the trick, so I didn't bother to change the regular filter above the pan. Plus, I'll admit it - I'm a lazy, cheap bastid - :toothless

Anyway, I'll go ahead and check the fluid level again to see if it's still in the crosshatch.

Thanks for the quick reply!
that filter can get clogged eventually, renderring your external filter useless, maybe that's what is happenning now, it's partially clogged.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
waltman said:
that filter can get clogged eventually, renderring your external filter useless, maybe that's what is happenning now, it's partially clogged.
yea, plus, if you are a CB (cheap bastard) equin, boy won't you be hating life to be the one to cause an $1800 tranny rebuild. makes no sense.:twak

this is why I don't like the extra filter idea. NEVER think you can bypass the stock filter, or not change it due to this bling external setup you put on. leave factory stuff alone, and change it like you're supposed to.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dang it, you guys are most probably right. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be a cheapskate. Looks like I'll be changing the stock filter tomorrow morning and gettin' messy again - woo hoo!

And yeah, you can buy the gasket without the filter at the dealer and at NAPA. I need to make a trip to the parts store anyway to recycle the used trans fluid, so I'll pick up the trans filter and more trans fluid while there.

P.S. - Nice avatar Waltman

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
equin said:
Dang it, you guys are most probably right. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be a cheapskate. Looks like I'll be changing the stock filter tomorrow morning and gettin' messy again - woo hoo!

And yeah, you can buy the gasket without the filter at the dealer and at NAPA. I need to make a trip to the parts store anyway to recycle the used trans fluid, so I'll pick up the trans filter and more trans fluid while there.

P.S. - Nice avatar Waltman
The combo filter/gasket at nappy is $37 for the E4OD, but hey a VALUE if it does it's job and keeps your tranny happy for many miles. Knock on wood, 120K and counting without a single E4OD hickup.

Don't be cheap. Be value driven. :twotu: but two thumbs for you for not thinking peeps are ragging on you.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,423 Posts
While you're there spend another $3 and get a trans pan drain plug to install while the pan is off. It's really easy and takes a lot of the mess out of the job. I have an external spin on trans filter too. Having the external one doesn't mean you should stop changing the internal one. I do like Steve recommended, change the spin on one every month and still change the fluid and internal filter every year.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,696 Posts
RLKBOB said:
While you're there spend another $3 and get a trans pan drain plug to install while the pan is off. It's really easy and takes a lot of the mess out of the job. I have an external spin on trans filter too. Having the external one doesn't mean you should stop changing the internal one. I do like Steve recommended, change the spin on one every month and still change the fluid and internal filter every year.
any welding included in that Bob, or just drilling and tapping?

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,423 Posts
Nope, just drill a 1/2" hole then install it(no tapping either). There is a bolt that sticks though the pan with a plastic washer and a nut on the inside that you tighten it down with. The bolt is drilled through with a plug threaded into it that you remove to drain the fluid. Once the pan is off it only takes about 10 min to install the drain plug. Don't tighten it too tight or you will squish the plastic washer too much and it will leak. I might have pics in my Superfrd page, don't remember for sure if I posted them.

You know, I think that's the first time I ever wrote or typed the word "squish"

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
RLKBOB said:
Bob, did Steve really recommend this? Seems like a waste to replace the spin on monthly?

Also, the yearly change? I can dig it, but remember this, the tranny is aluminum. I am pretty careful and have already stripped one bolt, and partly damaged another, despite my caution on too much torqure. So, the factory (manual) states every 30k. my suggestion is getting in there every 2yr/20k roughly.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,423 Posts
The monthly interval might have been for the first few months after install on an old trans to clean it out gradually but you definitely don't want it getting clogged up. I've had to rebuild a few transmissions in the last several years and my trans guy in VA recommended changing the fluid every year just to be safe. After all the money I've spent on rebuilds I always put on coolers and change the fluid yearly now. Cheap insurance.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,696 Posts
Shadofax said:
my suggestion is getting in there every 2yr/20k roughly.
I tow a lot....excessive weight. Just dragged a Bronco to Ohio from Connecticut. I worked the hell outta that E4OD....so for it working so hard for me, i am changing the tranny fluid.

It all depends on how you drive your truck.....i don't stick to standard rates for fluid changes, i keep an eye on the fluid and change it when i think it's ready.

I change or get my oil changed every 2-2,500 miles, i change the tranny fluid everytime i either pull excessive weight, or 7-10k miles. There is no such thing as your fluids being too fresh.

I had the engine oil, the tranny/t-case oil, and the differential fluids changed about 4 times in the first 6 months that i owned this truck. The Previous owner never did it, and i didn't like the way the fluids looked until about the fourth change.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Bronco Rob said:
I tow a lot....excessive weight. Just dragged a Bronco to Ohio from Connecticut. I worked the hell outta that E4OD....so for it working so hard for me, i am changing the tranny fluid.

It all depends on how you drive your truck.....i don't stick to standard rates for fluid changes, i keep an eye on the fluid and change it when i think it's ready.

I change or get my oil changed every 2-2,500 miles, i change the tranny fluid everytime i either pull excessive weight, or 7-10k miles. There is no such thing as your fluids being too fresh.

I had the engine oil, the tranny/t-case oil, and the differential fluids changed about 4 times in the first 6 months that i owned this truck. The Previous owner never did it, and i didn't like the way the fluids looked until about the fourth change.
2 things, 1 I disagree on fluid freshness. Stick to a reasonable interval. if it sees hard towing, fine, change fluid right after, and then get back into a reasonable interval. 2, my post also mentioned possibility of stripping threads or creating leaks. Don't do this. stick to something reasonable. My opinion, and folks will do as they like.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,696 Posts
Shadofax said:
2 things, 1 I disagree on fluid freshness. Stick to a reasonable interval. if it sees hard towing, fine, change fluid right after, and then get back into a reasonable interval. 2, my post also mentioned possibility of stripping threads or creating leaks. Don't do this. stick to something reasonable. My opinion, and folks will do as they like.
i guess i should re-phrase that. It does need break in time. But with the age of my Bronco and the miles on it, hard and soft miles. I don't see it as saving money by not changing the fluids regularly.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Bronco Rob said:
i guess i should re-phrase that. It does need break in time. But with the age of my Bronco and the miles on it, hard and soft miles. I don't see it as saving money by not changing the fluids regularly.
How many miles? I see "regularity" as the key for the trannies getting on in age. You don't have to be giving them an enema daily. Just let them do their business on a regular schedule.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I replaced the trans filter inside the pan with a new one, but the hissing noise is still there. I didn't see or find an extra grommet, either, like what happened to BlancoBronco's E4OD in the link I included in my original post. Anyway, it only happens when the engine is warmed up and idling in Reverse, Drive, 2L or 1L. In Park and Neutral, or when I give it a bit of gas to increase the RPMs a bit, the hissing sound goes away completely.

FWIW, I change the trans fluid every 10K miles as recommended by a trans shop tech who claims to have done his share of E4OD rebuilds. According to him, the E4OD is finicky, requiring numerous and expensive rebuilds, and frequent fluid changes can only help it, not hurt it. But yeah, I already stripped one of the transmission pan bolt holes near the rear of the pan. So who knows?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Anyone else's E4OD hiss or sound like it's sucking air when at low idle in Reverse, Drive, 2L or 1L? Just want to know if this is a normal noise or if I should add this to the list of ever growing potential problems on my love/hate 93 Bronco.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts