Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the E4OD internal filter is a metal grid or mesh filter? My local shop told me that they do not change internal filters on E4ODs since it is this type filter. Are they correct?

WJR

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
They are smoking crack. And shooting heroin. Find another shop.

BTW, I believe the filter media is almost a synthetic sponge-like material, or at least that's what it was on my E4OD. The C4 (possibly C6) transmissions used metal mesh filter media, but that's about it.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
The E4OD uses a canister type of filter, and the actual filter element is inside and out of sight.

here is a pic........

·
Super Moderator
26,081 Posts
btw, see that grommet on the pic Streetgang posted above? Make sure that comes out intact when replacing the filter.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys. I was worried about that. Do you think he was just confused about the whole apparatus? They are flushing the trans today, so I guess I can do a post flush internal filter change.

I am also planning a remote/external filter installation.

WJR

·
Registered
165 Posts
:shocked DON'T LET THEM TOUCH YOUR RIG! If it's already at the shop, GO GET IT OUT OF THERE!! If they aren't going to change E4OD filters then I'm pretty sure they aren't going to do a proper tranny flush. They will probably just crack the pan open and let it drain for a few minutes, fill'er back up and call'er done. NOW GO GET YOUR RIG OUTA THERE!!!

WJR said:
I am also planning a remote/external filter installation.

WJR
Please tell me you aren't going to let these cat's do the install?

Solid.
:beer

·
Super Moderator
26,081 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
solidpvc said:
Please tell me you aren't going to let these cat's do the install?

Solid.
No I am not. I am going to try to do it myself with more questions for Sixlitre.

WJR

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
I hope I didn't generate any ambiguity when I said that it's a "sponge-like synthetic material." When I said that, I meant the actual media and not the external shell of the filter, which Streetgang was gracious enough to post a picture of. If you cut apart your old filter, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Absolutely put an external filter on! These are recommended by Ford in a TSB somewhere, and actually keep the crud from circulating through the transmission. The best ones have magnets AND a good filter media.

The factory filter will only keep groundhogs and squirrels from entering the front pump, but anything smaller will get through.

·
Registered
165 Posts
WJR said:
No I am not. I am going to try to do it myself with more questions for Sixlitre.

WJR

:thumbup Good deal, post some pics when you gett'er done. If you don't mind me asking, which remote filter setup are you going to use?

Solid.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
Good decision doing it yourself. You will save a lot of money and there is no sense in paying somebody to flush it then go home and drop the pan to change the filter and have to replace several more quarts that just got replaced. BTW when you get a flush they don't drop the pan at all or replace the gasket. They hook up a machine to the trans lines at the radiator and reclaim the dirty fluid with the engine running and allow the trans to suck in new fluid. Not worth the 70 - 80 bucks they charge though IMO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts