Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My E4OD Is shifting rather hard.

Have searched this and have gotten some good info but have a few questions.

Is there a speed sensor located on the tranny? If so where? Shifts get harder as you go. (1-2 shift is normal shifting into od is really hard)

Speedo is normal no bouncing and there are no codes also this only happens sporadically.

1992 E40D/302

Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
Have you checked the trans fluid? whats the color of it? There is a sensor in the rear diff called a rear abs sensor aka vss sensor. But if the speedo is not bouncing around, I would check the fluid of the tranny first and maybe change the fluid and filter first. If thats not the problem, atleast you can say there is fresh fluid and new filter in it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the fluid and filter going to change it as soon as I get the column shifter fixed.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
What code did you get from the EEC? You should have gotten at least code 111 for system pass, otherwise, you did the test wrong. These EECs don't just give 'no codes'.

It's probably your MLPS on it's way out. Mine did the same thing... almost shift-kit like shifts, and otherwise ran fine. Few months later and it started giving me the drive to neutral and back symptom... changed it, and it's been fine since.

·
Registered
83 Posts
What does it mean if your speedo is bouncing around. Mine does this and I've never known why:banghead

·
Registered
129 Posts
What is the MLPS, where is it at and what does it do? My Bronco does what you described and I have never been able to figure out why.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
What does it mean if your speedo is bouncing around. Mine does this and I've never known why:banghead
Could be a couple of things... how bad does it bounce? If it's bad, it's probably a bad tone ring in your 8.8, or a bad ABS sensor on the top of the differential. It may even just be covered in small metal filings and just need to be cleaned.

What is the MLPS, where is it at and what does it do? My Bronco does what you described and I have never been able to figure out why.
Your 87 does not have a MLPS... You have either an AOD or a C6, neither of which are electronically controlled transmissions (hint: you should fill out your bronco info with useful information... the year is a start, and we obviously already know it's a bronco.). Searching would tell you what a MLPS is.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What code did you get from the EEC? You should have gotten at least code 111 for system pass, otherwise, you did the test wrong.QUOTE]

I used a scan tool

·
Registered
83 Posts
The bouncing is very intermittent, I'll be crusing down the freeway and it will drop to 0 then jump back up to whatever speed I'm driving. A slower speeds it bounces alot more.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
I used a scan tool
Okay... still should have gotten code 111 if it passed. But yeah, MLPS.

The bouncing is very intermittent, I'll be crusing down the freeway and it will drop to 0 then jump back up to whatever speed I'm driving. A slower speeds it bounces alot more.
Take a good look at the tone ring in your rear and check for missing teeth/chips. Pull the sensor out and clean it off if it's got schmeg on it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From all the searching and reading it sounds like the mlps. Is there a "how to" thread on here?

Thanks guys I appreciate it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it as easy as it looks in the Haynes manuel? (they just show a pic and tell you how to adjust it. Looks like 2 or 3 bolts and unplug the connector.

·
Super Moderator
26,313 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing and found wire right at rear abs sensor was broken right as it entered the connector. E40D's also had alot of EPC (ELECTRONIC PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID) problems which could also cause to shift incorrectly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts