Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had some previous posting but not one that was really pointed towards my tranny problems

so had to drive home to sacramento last week (1.5 hours) and not once did my tranny temp gauge get above 165.

today (friday) driving back walnut creek (1.5 hours) my tranny didnt get above 151, but ran great the whole way, sticking myself to a 55mph speed limit... went to hang out with a buddy at a diner and driving there everything was great

on my way back home from the diner though is where problems really started occuring: sticking in first and slamming into second... sometimes it happens and i can deal with that, however it was happening multiple times tonight, so when it would get stuck in first I'd let off the gas and the rpms would drop like normal, i'd wait a second or two and give it gas again and it was as if the tranny was in neutral then would have a harsh shift into 2nd.

on the final stop sign before my parents house going into first i could've sworn i heard it grinding to get into first, hard to tell any other noise since the straight pipe, but i swear i heard it grinding

anyone have any insight to where i should start? i looked at the dipstick to the trannsmission and fluid looked good and didnt look like it had any metal particles in it, but then again it was dark and its only the dipstick i was looking at and not the pan

since 3/4 seem to work fine I'm somewhat thinking the solenoid pack is going bad

I'm also highly considering doing a manual swap because of all this... but it would have to be done on a tight budget

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and i'll be pulling codes tomorrow as well

·
Registered
580 Posts
Could be a shift solenoid. Could be a valve body issue as well. If anything the code will be a slip code. If it is an electrical problem the scanner should say so . If it doesnt then its a mechanical problem. If its mechanical pull the pan and see what the inside of the pan has to offer as far as debris and pieces of friction clutches go. If it had been running hot that would make me think TC. Pieces of the TC will be in the pan as well.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be a shift solenoid. Could be a valve body issue as well. If anything the code will be a slip code. If it is an electrical problem the scanner should say so . If it doesnt then its a mechanical problem. If its mechanical pull the pan and see what the inside of the pan has to offer as far as debris and pieces of friction clutches go. If it had been running hot that would make me think TC. Pieces of the TC will be in the pan as well.
had the trans temp gauge on for a good 2 months now and not once has it ever gotten hotter than 175, so i dont think its a problem that would've been caused by too much heat, but i'll check everything electrically that i can first before pulling the pan

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you been thru stangmata's E4OD Diagnosis Thread yet? That's a pretty good place to start.
yup, just found it actually, had to switch browsers because firefox apparently doesn't allow the search bar to function on my laptop and my iphone... is just an iphone, so it never works right

but i'll be going through a lot of that tomorrow hopefully... although i also just found lifehazards zf swap thread and it really makes me itch for the manual...

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulled code 452: Computer detected an error in the VSS or PSOM signal during the last 80 warm-up cycles.

Check that VSS (also ref to as the ABS Sensor, DSS, etc.) Connector for corrosion/damage. wire strand corrosion (it happens back there) HIGH RESISTANCE. If good, then ck Continuity back thru to the ABS Control Module...Did you do this, as you wrote "... have tested the ABS by jumping the wires in the harness, and I am still having the same problems while the jumper wires are hooked up..."? And exactly how Steve describes it below?

Also; "Rear axle sensor should read 800-1400 Ohms across the pins, and more than 10 Ohms from the metal shell to either pin "
by Steve83 - see below

Speed Input Signal Test in 93-96; "...NOTE: Only wiring harness end of connector is to be probed. * Connect Rotunda Digital Volt-Ohmmeter 014-00407 or equivalent to Pin 4 (speed in ) and Pin 5 (speed in -). * Does the voltage increase smoothly and continuously from 0 to approximately 3.5 volts as vehicle speed increases from 0 to 48 km/h (0 to 30 mph)? OR: If available, a frequency counter may be connected to Pin 4 (Speed in ) and Pin 5 (Speed in -). Does the displayed frequency of the signal increase smoothly and continuously from 0 to approximately 667 Hz at approximately 48 km/h (30 mph)? OR: * If neither a voltmeter nor frequency counter is available, vehicle speed control may be used as a good indicator. If it works normally, then the speedometer module is at least receiving a speed input signal and the wiring and sensor can be assumed to be good. Rear axle sensor should read 800-1400 Ohms across the pins, and more than 10 Ohms from the metal shell to either pin. To bypass the 4WABS module & feed the ABS signal directly to the PSOM, jumper LG/Bk to LG/Y, and R/Pk to O/LB..."
Source: by Steve83

---
If PSOM is working corr. ALL the time; then ck

DTC 452 Erratic Harsh Shift; Short Circuits, Common Locations TSB 95-02-11 on 94-95 Bronco & Trucks
Source: by Ford via Steve83

And;
connectors 202 & 185
See CKT 679 GY/BK to PCM from PSOM in Steve's wiring diagram (above)
have to find where connector 202 & 185 are Jem270 has a diagram showing it on driver's side, eng compartment area, in a 92 which should be similar

------Would a bad Seedo cause this?
Not since it is operating correctly; but a bad connection @ PSOM Connector And/ or in the 679 harness there to the PCM (and it branches to the Cruise Control CKT)

Source: Meisk5

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
had to take the rig out for family stuff and i decided to check the fluid again once we got home, temperature on the gauge read 151 and the fluid was frothy and also read that it was not full, however its still in between the two fill recommendation dots

I think there may also be a small drip leak in the tranny cooler line, was noticing that it was a little wet where the steel line meets the rubber going to the aux tranny cooler

as you can see, frothy

however i dont think frothy would result in a vss code would it?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Pulled code 452: Computer detected an error in the VSS or PSOM signal during the last 80 warm-up cycles.

Check that VSS (also ref to as the ABS Sensor, DSS, etc.) Connector for corrosion/damage. wire strand corrosion (it happens back there) HIGH RESISTANCE. If good, then ck Continuity back thru to the ABS Control Module...Did you do this, as you wrote "... have tested the ABS by jumping the wires in the harness, and I am still having the same problems while the jumper wires are hooked up..."? And exactly how Steve describes it below?

Also; "Rear axle sensor should read 800-1400 Ohms across the pins, and more than 10 Ohms from the metal shell to either pin "
by Steve83 - see below

Speed Input Signal Test in 93-96; "...NOTE: Only wiring harness end of connector is to be probed. * Connect Rotunda Digital Volt-Ohmmeter 014-00407 or equivalent to Pin 4 (speed in ) and Pin 5 (speed in -). * Does the voltage increase smoothly and continuously from 0 to approximately 3.5 volts as vehicle speed increases from 0 to 48 km/h (0 to 30 mph)? OR: If available, a frequency counter may be connected to Pin 4 (Speed in ) and Pin 5 (Speed in -). Does the displayed frequency of the signal increase smoothly and continuously from 0 to approximately 667 Hz at approximately 48 km/h (30 mph)? OR: * If neither a voltmeter nor frequency counter is available, vehicle speed control may be used as a good indicator. If it works normally, then the speedometer module is at least receiving a speed input signal and the wiring and sensor can be assumed to be good. Rear axle sensor should read 800-1400 Ohms across the pins, and more than 10 Ohms from the metal shell to either pin. To bypass the 4WABS module & feed the ABS signal directly to the PSOM, jumper LG/Bk to LG/Y, and R/Pk to O/LB..."
Source: by Steve83

---
If PSOM is working corr. ALL the time; then ck

DTC 452 Erratic Harsh Shift; Short Circuits, Common Locations TSB 95-02-11 on 94-95 Bronco & Trucks
Source: by Ford via Steve83

And;
connectors 202 & 185
See CKT 679 GY/BK to PCM from PSOM in Steve's wiring diagram (above)
have to find where connector 202 & 185 are Jem270 has a diagram showing it on driver's side, eng compartment area, in a 92 which should be similar

------Would a bad Seedo cause this?
Not since it is operating correctly; but a bad connection @ PSOM Connector And/ or in the 679 harness there to the PCM (and it branches to the Cruise Control CKT)

Source: Meisk5
91 and earlier BKO's have 2 digit error codes, so are you using a OBD-1 reader or just counting flashing lights? Also, the 90 uses the VSS mounting in the transfer case next to the the speedo cable, and not the RABS senser in the rear.

Also, there are known problems with the Sol pack jack on the passengers side of the trans. I've seen where the heat has melted the insulation on the wire harness and shorted out the wiring.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
91 and earlier BKO's have 2 digit error codes, so are you using a OBD-1 reader or just counting flashing lights? Also, the 90 uses the VSS mounting in the transfer case next to the the speedo cable, and not the RABS senser in the rear.

Also, there are known problems with the Sol pack jack on the passengers side of the trans. I've seen where the heat has melted the insulation on the wire harness and shorted out the wiring.
i've got a code reader... that has a light the flashes at me and beeps every flash too, so i might as well be counting check engine light flashes... and i swear to you it was code 452, no mistaking it... now i did just go and look at the ECU a few weeks ago and it says remanufactured on the side... i officially have no clue if its the right one for my truck anymore, that race company did all kinds of crap with it that i wish i could ask them about

i know the vss is on the tcase, thats why im doubtful the frothy fluid has anything to do with it, and that i could be looking at two seperate problems

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Drooped the. Needless to say... Heartbreaking. Couldn't bring myself to take a picture. Looks like some took a shit in my tranny

1 - 11 of 11 Posts