Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was given some advice from a mechanic who works at a Ford dealership in my area. Most of us probably know that the E40Ds don't have the greatest durabilty record...

He said that by removing the stock 5/16 " transmission lines and upgrading to a 3/8" line along with a trans cooler with 3/8" fittings, that it might help extend the life of the E40Ds.

My E40D already has 138,000 miles with a rebuild 3000 miles ago, might be too late for it, but...I'm going to give it a shot anyway.

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
I dont know if changing the lines will make all that great a difference, It might...But i cant see anything subsantial.

The cooler is a must tho, The bigger the better. The most beneficial place to mount it would be in front of the radiator, where the is a good amount of airflow.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Dont know if that would help the tranny or not but my E40D has been Strong. Its been through 170,000 miles and 2 motors. It has been used hard also, Pulled Heavy campers and all kinds of trailers, Wheelin, you name it. just had it serviced and it is still rather tight and shift smooth. :thumbup

G

·
I have heard the same thing. There is also a Check valve you can remove to increase flow to the cooler, but the pump loses prime when you shut the truck off, so you have to wait a minute before you take off again.

A inline tranny filter is a must also.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
94 XLT BRONCO said:
Dont know if that would help the tranny or not but my E40D has been Strong. Its been through 170,000 miles and 2 motors. It has been used hard also, Pulled Heavy campers and all kinds of trailers, Wheelin, you name it. just had it serviced and it is still rather tight and shift smooth. :thumbup
Me too. But 140k not 170.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a respectable track record to me. The previous owner rebuilt it at about 134,000. So...if it's been rebuilt right what kind of life expectancy do you think it would have?
If you don't wheel alot, but mostly tow like myself...it can work one pretty hard.

Viffer...

G

·
Tranny temp gauge is the most important thing you can have.
Never let the temp go over 230 period, and not over 200 for very long, and the tranny will outlast the rest of the truck.

If you used a reputable rebuilder the rebuilt will last longer than the original.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have just over 192,000 on mine and never had a problem. I got my bronco used with 146,000 on it and I was told that it had never been rebuild or replaced and had only been serviced at regular intervals. It's retired from the California Highway Patrol and was used up in northern CA, so I'm sure it hasn't had an easy life.

G

·
There is a lot of truth in both claims, maybe you gasser guys don't have the problems we Diesels do.
Daily I carry more weight, and put more torque to the ground then you guys do.
I also build peak torque at 1,800 rpms which is below the rpms needed to acheive peak pump pressure. Without peak pressure, the E4OD is more likely to slip and create heat, and I can pull some big loads uphill at less than peak pressure.

Hang out with some Diesel guys using the E4OD, and you will become paranoid very quickly.

·
Registered
225 Posts
at my last rebuild i upgraded my e4od with a bunch of 4r100 parts and a trans-go shift reprogramer. it is MUCH tougher than it has ever been before.
we snowplow with a fleet of diesel superdutys (some with chips) and the 4r100's are holding up much better than the old C6's ever did. and a chipped powerstroke puts out a little more power than an old 6.9 IDI :beer

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Vfrf2

Yes going to bigger 3/8" lines is a good idea, and a bigger cooler of the kind that has fluid in the fins and is 1 1/2" thick.

The real difference for me and my lowly, but still expensive, AOD was adding a remote filter housing.

I bolted it to the inside passenger frame rail just under the charcoal canister and what a difference !!!!!

Better shifting immediately and after a month or two (I change the remote filter every month, same time I change the motor oil and filter) the tranny fluid was so clean you'd swear it was new.

I still change the internal filter yearly, but the remote filter keeps everything super clean and has improved shifting immensely.

Cheap as heck, get them at Summit, they even have a kit that includes a temperature gauge, like someone else already mentioned.

It just interupts the lines/hoses going to the cooler.

Sixlitre

1 - 13 of 13 Posts