Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my way to work this morning my transmission started to make whirring noises when ever i accelerated.(well, it came from the floor where the front of the transmission is) when i let off the gas the noise went away for the most part. When i would idle how ever, it sounded kinda like a diesel truck. I think its my torque converter, but im not sure. any help would be awesome. I checked the fluid and its good. just as i pulled into the lot here at work, my check engine light came on. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'd have to say pull the codes. From the info you gave it could be a number of things (like the torque converter) but the computer may know the answer. Good luck with it.

On a side note: if it is the tc you could have it flushed and see what the fluid looks like. When mine went it looked like coffee grounds in the fluid, but it was hard to tell for sure by just looking at the dip stick.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im gonna drop it off at aamco transmissions when i get off work and see what they say. I hope its just the tc. Im gonna get a deeper pan and external cooler too, transmission problems seem to be the most expensive, so i want to safeguard myself for the future.

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
96broncoman said:
im gonna drop it off at aamco transmissions when i get off work and see what they say. I hope its just the tc. Im gonna get a deeper pan and external cooler too, transmission problems seem to be the most expensive, so i want to safeguard myself for the future.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH STAY AWAY FROM AAMCO!!! they will charge you an arm and a nutsack. Find a local tranny repair shop. chain shops like aamco tend to rip you off and they use cheap parts.

Just my.02

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
:stupid

NO AAMCO!!! That's where the ASE rejects go! :histerica

I also second pulling codes yourself. It'll eliminate the bull$hit story you get from any transmission shop, "you need a rebuild", and save you a lot...no, a TON of money. I'm willing to bet it's probably a TCC solenoid/hydraulic circuit failure, but the DTC will help a lot.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok...update...
i dropped the truck off at aamco overnight and they looked at it first thing this morning. They called me at around 930 to tell me the torque converter was going out and the pump had to be rebuilt and the engine code was tcc....1469.74 was the quote. I remembered this thread, so i told them i would just pick it up. $39.95 later, i had my truck and i drove it to corey transmission(local shop, recomended by some friends) they looked at my truck for like 2 seconds and pulled the engine code and it is an irregular air flow in the exhaust....some little valve by the transmission in the exhaust was acting up. the noise was the air escaping. they reset the code and its all good. saved my self alot of money...thanks....

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
I LOVE stories like this. Way to go, man. Glad it was cheaper than expected!

Oh, and fark AAMCO. :goodfinge

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, haha, i love the outcome of this story too. i was thinkin about posting something in the section about company reviews, or calling the BBB. haha, im just so happy everything is ok, and im not gonna call the BBB, but i might really post in the company review section...

·
Registered
307 Posts
i love it when things work out like that nice cheep little fixes

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
DakotaBronco84 said:
i love it when things work out like that nice cheep little fixes
So do I but I just wish he would have given a more detailed explanation of the repair.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i didnt do any repair:toothless it was explained to me like some sort of valve or sensor or something in the exhasut was letting air escape and that was the funny noise. They reset the check engine light and it hasnt come back on yet. i am going to wait to see if the light comes again befor i go spending any more money:smokin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts