Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Eddie Bauer 5.0L, AOD, 4x4; 2010 F150 4.6L; 2006 Honda Civic; 1999 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100cc
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
E4OD or AOD, which is better and why? Ready. Go!

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,551 Posts
Think it depends on what your doing with said truck.
Example, AOD behind a carb engine is easier to get working then an E4OD. The AOD also does not need the electronic controls like the E4OD.
The E4OD in stock trim is stronger, and I think may have better ratio's for a truck (though I am not 100% on that)
They both are some money to make to be able to handle real power, though Ford never stuck a AOD behind a 460 in a truck either.

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
E4OD. Its essentially an electronic c6 with overdrive. Keep it cool and the fluid clean and it's a durable, reliable transmission. The AOD is weak in stock form. It has a massive amount of valve body components and is finicky as hell. It doesn't require a computer but that's about the only advantage.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Bronco Custom, 5.0L EFI AOD Manual Hubs
100 Posts
I like this topic, I have an AOD in my Bronco and i am rebuilding the engine and adding some HP. The tranny did not have any issue when i parked it (well, it had to be parked) and has not ran for 12 years. I am also upgrading the TC to a higher stall speed from Monster Transmissions. 1900-2300 range. We will see how it goes. (y)

·
Man of endless projects
9,599 Posts
AOD only came behind 302 in trucks. a couple of cars used them behind 351w. the AODE/4R70W were also only in 302 but not offered in broncos.
E4OD was used in diesels and big blocks as well as small blocks

an AOD can be built strong, mostly using 4R70 parts. E4OD can also be made stronger by using 4R100 parts. many people swap the 302 for 351 and run them jsut fine on AODs. i have heard of 460 being adapted to a built AODs. but AODs in stock form are not very strong. E4OD also have different strength internals depening on the engine it was paired with

of course the AOD is non-electronic where the E4OD is electronic. the 4R70/AODE would be the electronic version of the AOD. the E4OD cost more to build and is known to be problematic if not rebuilt correctly. but alot of that is also due to misdiagnosing the underlying problem with the vehicle

E4OD has wide ratio gearset where AOD has standard ratio gearset. this mean the E4OD has a lower 1st and 2nd gear but the OD ratio is less drastic this means you have more toque accellerating with an E4OD but the highway rpms will be some higher and less load on engine. the AOD can be rebuilt using a wide ratio gearset from a 4R70W.

i personally am not a fan of AODs. they are not great for offroading which i am big into and in stock form not strong. i do like the 4R70W which is the much upgraded and electronic version of it and have it in my F250. i have had relativley good luck with E4ODs in my trucks. for borth trans, only issues were my own fault or due to front pump leaks.

·
Premium Member
5,023 Posts
E4od will always be a stronger transmission as you can build it with 4r100 internals and aftermarket goodies. For duability sake my v10 Super duty has 520k on the original 4r100.

AOD imo lasts longer than it's 4r70w counterpart. I had terrible luck with 4r70w's in my 5.0 explorer. PO rebuilt at 191k. I lost the front seal holding fluid at 285k. Replaced seal and it exploded itself at 291k (100k on rebuild). Found a junkyard unit from a wreck with 180k. It slips half the time with 2500 miles on the install. Pita imo..love the engine in that truck hate the transmission. Engine still has the original water pump on it and no gaskets have ever been touched.
meanwhile no problems other than cold slipping (freezing weather early AM) in my 30+ yr old AOD with 237k miles.

·
Man of endless projects
9,599 Posts
as with all transmissions, the later they are the better because they get revisions to fix issues. for example the early 4R70W with JMod is suppose to be good up to 350hp, where a 98+ 4R70W with JMod can handle much more (some say 500+ HP)

Ford transmission's in general have issues with front pump seals, especially when they get hot. seen a number of memes about it even. i killed an E4OD offroading without realizing seal was leaking. had my 4R70W start leaking really bad when i got it hot offroading and ended up getting it rebuilt. ive killed C6 a couple times due to seal leaking. other than that the only E4OD issues i had was due to getting an Punisher VB of the wrong year (killed reverse), and for idling underwater for 8 hours (killed 2nd gear) so those you could blame on me. as for 4R70W, i ran 1 without enough fluid (welded clutches together), forgot to repin solenoid pack for correct year (smoked trans during engine breakin).

but we all have that one trans we never have luck with. mine was the C6 that everybody swears by but never fails to fail for me. i gave up after second rebuild, never lasted longer than 1 event

·
Registered
1988 Eddie Bauer 5.0L, AOD, 4x4; 2010 F150 4.6L; 2006 Honda Civic; 1999 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100cc
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, lots of great responses and input. Thanks guys. I'm new to this game and still learning a lot.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have similar input to what was already said.
I was never very impressed with the AOD in my 88 f150, not a bad transmission but a little clunky and inconsistent with shift points.
The 4r70w is a huge upgrade to the AOD, I've been around lots of 4r70w including many with 200k (several f150s) or more that shift great still. I have a 4r70w in my 95 Mercury cougar that I did the JMod and accumulator springs/piston upgrade on. It has 113k on it and is one of the most fun automatics I've driven. The car is also tuned which helps shift points. It breaks the rear tires loose on 1-2 shifts with heavy throttle.

I have never owned an e4od but it is the HD transmission of the era. I've driven several 4r100 trucks and it performs similar to the 4r70w but should be stronger.

I think either transmission is a good choice but if going AOD have it rebuilt with 4r70w internals or go 4r70w with a standalone controller. AOD/4r70w are usually much cheaper to build.

Reactions: GetBent4x4

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
I had an AOD in my 90 that was rebuilt by a drunk/high idiot. I ended up rebuilding it myself because it smoked the clutches. I immediately had issues with it not wanting to shift out of first. I cleaned up the valve body some more and it would only shift out of first when warm. I polished all the valves and it finally would shift properly but never would engage overdrive no matter what I did. That's how I know they're so finicky. When trying to diagnose the overdrive issue I read about so many little things that will cause it if they aren't absolutely perfect. And the valve body operates sequentially, so if it has an issue with the valves for one gear you won't get that gear or any of the others after it.

·
Man of endless projects
9,599 Posts
only AOD i had was what my 90 F250 originally had. the truck originally my friends who overheated it badly and then gave it to her grandma with warped cylinder heads and running like trash in general. i fixed the engine up good enough to test drive it and turned out engine had bad oil pressure and the AOD was only had 2 gears. other than a couple test drives i never used AOD much. thats when the grandma gave me the truck and i swapped in the Explorer 5.0, 4R70W and EFI.

the 4R70W can be made to have a full manual valve body with no computer control if that is something you are into. i believe OD and converter lockup are switch operated tho. that is something the E4OD cannot do is be converted to full manual control.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again for all the input.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
only AOD i had was what my 90 F250 originally had. the truck originally my friends who overheated it badly and then gave it to her grandma with warped cylinder heads and running like trash in general. i fixed the engine up good enough to test drive it and turned out engine had bad oil pressure and the AOD was only had 2 gears. other than a couple test drives i never used AOD much. thats when the grandma gave me the truck and i swapped in the Explorer 5.0, 4R70W and EFI.

the 4R70W can be made to have a full manual valve body with no computer control if that is something you are into. i believe OD and converter lockup are switch operated tho. that is something the E4OD cannot do is be converted to full manual control.
No, I'm just trying to learn about all the different trans options of the day.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had an AOD in my 90 that was rebuilt by a drunk/high idiot. I ended up rebuilding it myself because it smoked the clutches. I immediately had issues with it not wanting to shift out of first. I cleaned up the valve body some more and it would only shift out of first when warm. I polished all the valves and it finally would shift properly but never would engage overdrive no matter what I did. That's how I know they're so finicky. When trying to diagnose the overdrive issue I read about so many little things that will cause it if they aren't absolutely perfect. And the valve body operates sequentially, so if it has an issue with the valves for one gear you won't get that gear or any of the others after it.
Is the AOD tough to take apart and work on? I'm just getting to know my bronco and if the Trans is in similar condition to all the other components in going to need to work on it at some point in the near future.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AOD only came behind 302 in trucks. a couple of cars used them behind 351w. the AODE/4R70W were also only in 302 but not offered in broncos.
E4OD was used in diesels and big blocks as well as small blocks

an AOD can be built strong, mostly using 4R70 parts. E4OD can also be made stronger by using 4R100 parts. many people swap the 302 for 351 and run them jsut fine on AODs. i have heard of 460 being adapted to a built AODs. but AODs in stock form are not very strong. E4OD also have different strength internals depening on the engine it was paired with

of course the AOD is non-electronic where the E4OD is electronic. the 4R70/AODE would be the electronic version of the AOD. the E4OD cost more to build and is known to be problematic if not rebuilt correctly. but alot of that is also due to misdiagnosing the underlying problem with the vehicle

E4OD has wide ratio gearset where AOD has standard ratio gearset. this mean the E4OD has a lower 1st and 2nd gear but the OD ratio is less drastic this means you have more toque accellerating with an E4OD but the highway rpms will be some higher and less load on engine. the AOD can be rebuilt using a wide ratio gearset from a 4R70W.

i personally am not a fan of AODs. they are not great for offroading which i am big into and in stock form not strong. i do like the 4R70W which is the much upgraded and electronic version of it and have it in my F250. i have had relativley good luck with E4ODs in my trucks. for borth trans, only issues were my own fault or due to front pump leaks.
If I were to swap another transmission in place of my AOD, would I need to move the cross member and get new drive shafts?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
If I were to swap another transmission in place of my AOD, would I need to move the cross member and get new drive shafts?
Depends on what you go with... if you convert to manual transmission then yes, if you go to a c6, the. Yes... if you go to a different OD Auto transmission then no.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Is the AOD tough to take apart and work on? I'm just getting to know my bronco and if the Trans is in similar condition to all the other components in going to need to work on it at some point in the near future.
Too bad your in Dallas, I just took out my AOD and will be selling it shortly.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts