Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well Im a newbie when it comes to FSB's i just upgraded from a bronco 2 but anyways my 1994 Bronco 351W with an e40d every once in a while will shift really hard and at a higher rpm than usual most of the time 1st-2nd, but my speedo doesn't behave erratically, my odometer works just fine, u-joints are new, transmission fluid is at the correct level and the transmission was fully rebuilt at a local shop by a guy who specializes in e4od's about 40k miles ago, so from my understanding this leaves a sensor to blame? could it be the the speed sensor in the rear differential causing this weird behavior? or something else? all help is greatly appreciated :banghead

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
If your speedo is working fine, and doesn't seem erratic, it's probably not a VSS problem.

I'd pull codes, and see if you get a code for your MLPS... and consider replacing it anyway.

I've seen people rebuild E4ODs because a transmission shop diagnosed a failing transmission only to find out later that the brand new one did the exact same thing as the old one, and the MLPS was bad.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
The best place to get the MLPS is at the dealership, because they come with the full kit if your E4OD uses the old style MLPS connector, and all the instructions to convert it.

Plus, with the goofy ways a MLPS can screw up the transmission, I'd only buy a Motorcraft one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks again but i think i fixed it

well i think i might have fixed it, i cleaned every connection that had anything to do with the transmission, checked all wires for shorts, and coated them in dielectric grease, i also put a new battery that had a few extra cranking amps compared to the required, new battery terminals and cleaned the connections on them too. hasn't shifted hard since maybe it was just a connection issue, but i will probably be replacing the mlps (once i get some more cash) anyways judging by the weird things they can cause just to be on the safe side :beer thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
May have been just a bad connection and you fixed it with the clean up. :thumbup

I'd leave it alone until you notice a problem resurface.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[email protected]#&

:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead\
well i thought i fixed it but it just decided that cleaning wasn't good enough and started banging through the gears again to day on the way home after going for a cruise, i pulled over and turned it off and cranked and took off but it did the same old crap and i tried to use my cruise but it wouldn't work!!! speedo and odometer were fine. when i got home i crawled under it and disconnected the plug for mlps and plugged it back in went for a drive and it quit shifting hard :wtf maybe the connector has gone bad??

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Might have. I know sometime around 94, they redesigned the plug for the MLPS.

When I got a new one for my E4OD (which had been rebuilt in 94, so I have no idea what was replaced) I had to re-plug my harness for the newer MLPS. Hasn't given me trouble since, and I think I did that last year now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well thanks for helpin me out man :thumbup im just dumbfounded but i'll do some testing around and probably get all new sensors next paycheck just to get it over with but i did notice that the connector does have clips to hold it down but the mlps doesnt have anything for them to attach to so idk i'll eventually get this headache sorted out

·
Registered
1 Posts
Similar Problem:

TEAM:

I'm having the same symptoms with my beloved soft top, '94 XLT E4OD. I'd like to try your process, buy a new part and be done with it (hopefully), however, I got a bit lost. Did you solve this problem by replacing the harness, or replacing the mechanism that the harness connects to, or the sensor? What IS the MLPS anyway? The mechanical part, or a sensor?

The dealership says they discontinued the harness back in 2005, and I can't find anything online that matches "MLPS" as a replacement part. Any ideas or guidance?

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Try searching for MLPS, that'll give you some information on it

The new MLPS replacements they sell at the dealerships come with a new MLPS, the new connector and grommets, and the instructions on how to swap the new plug on your existing harness.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the same problem a few months ago, I picked one up at Autozone for $38 bucks, problem solved. It even come with both style of plugs. Not the best quality but the price is right.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If it's not the MLPS check TPS as it can cause this too. However the high RPM hard shift should happen at every shift not just 1-2.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
MLPS will throw a code but not light up the CEL. Read your codes to ensure it's the MLPS before throwing parts at it.
With that though, my MLPS was starting to give me the funky 'shift kit' hard shifts and delayed TC lockup about a thousand miles before I finally got a code for the MLPS.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,686 Posts
With that though, my MLPS was starting to give me the funky 'shift kit' hard shifts and delayed TC lockup about a thousand miles before I finally got a code for the MLPS.
mine threw a code for it after the third time i drove it when the MLPS was faulty. Probably within 100 miles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well its fixed (by a miracle)

i just cleaned everything again an put more dielectric grease on it and put some sensor safe rtv around the edges of the connectors then i cleared the codes no problems in the past 500 miles so i guess it's fixed finally and no new codes so lemme cross my fingers and say a prayer lol :thumbup:beer

1 - 17 of 17 Posts