Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Bronco XLT, E4OD Trans, Manual Locking Hubs
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started off with only having reverse and every other gear would kill the engine unless I idle the motor up to around 1200 rpms and put it in first then i could go forward, i posted on another thread and Miesk5 gave me some info to try, I replaced the transmission shift solenoid which did not help so I put the old one back in and now I have no gears what so ever. I thought maybe I had damaged the old one when I re-installed so I replaced it again and now have the same issue of no gears. When I drop the shifter it does nothing, however it will not start if I put the Bronco in gear (not sure that this matters). I feel like maybe this is an electrical issue on the plug that goes to the solenoid ? Does anyone know how one could test the plug itself? Any advice is greatly appreciated Thanks

·
Super Moderator
25,328 Posts
I started off with only having reverse and every other gear would kill the engine unless I idle the motor up to around 1200 rpms and put it in first then i could go forward, i posted on another thread and Miesk5 gave me some info to try, I replaced the transmission shift solenoid which did not help so I put the old one back in and now I have no gears what so ever. I thought maybe I had damaged the old one when I re-installed so I replaced it again and now have the same issue of no gears. When I drop the shifter it does nothing, however it will not start if I put the Bronco in gear (not sure that this matters). I feel like maybe this is an electrical issue on the plug that goes to the solenoid ? Does anyone know how one could test the plug itself? Any advice is greatly appreciated Thanks
Yo Kaston,
Did you have an opportunity to complete DTC 629 Test?
It indicates the CCO or SS3/4-4/3 did not change state when requested by the PCM.
Possible causes:
Damaged solenoid/assembly.
Open or shorted harness (internal/external).
Damaged PCM.
Note: Do not use a STAR Tester for this step. Use a VOM or DVOM., etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the engine die like letting go of a clutch in a manual trans too fast?
When it would actually switch gears that is how would die except for reverse

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yo Kaston,
Did you have an opportunity to complete DTC 629 Test?
It indicates the CCO or SS3/4-4/3 did not change state when requested by the PCM.
Possible causes:
Damaged solenoid/assembly.
Open or shorted harness (internal/external).
Damaged PCM.
Note: Do not use a STAR Tester for this step. Use a VOM or DVOM., etc.
I actually did not finish doing that test, hopefully it will quit raining long enough that I can try all of your recommendations

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,006 Posts
When it would actually switch gears that is how would die except for reverse
Every truck that I've seen like that was a computer problem locking the torque converter. A PCM change fixed them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I was able to get my gears back by adding more transmission fluid ( had a moment of stupidity during my aggravation with the Bronco and forgot I had more to add) but I still have the issue of dying in everything but reverse. I need to complete the test that were recommended but in the mean time I took the PCM out of the Bronco because I knew that I would be able to do it quickly and get the numbers off of it, when I was taking the seal off it water was coming out and the bracket that the PCM sits in that is actually in the cab was starting to rust. Is this normal for there to be water in that area?
I did take the PCM apart and could not see any signs of corrosion or water on the inside of the unit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can someone tell me where I might purchase a F5TF- JB WAY 1 EEC? Every where I have been able to find one has been out of stock.

Also the Calibration decal on the door says F5AE-6EO61-MTH, should these numbers match?

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts