Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 94 fsb eb, 351, e4od tranny. the tranny feels like its jumping in and out of gear while driving. it does this in all gears, taking off from a stop and cruising at all different speeds. i have searched other threads and other sites but no deffinite answers. ive heard its the tps, vss, and another filter. i saw that thread on here and i forgot what he called it but it was an oil filter hooked up to the tranny. whats the deal with that? i hope i dont have to buy a new trans or get mine rebuilt. any tips will help. thanks.:rockon

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
check your trans fluid first. if it is good run a cooler on it and see if that helps. the other filter you are reffering to is a remote trans filter. it spins on like an oil filter.

ken

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive changed the fluid and filter twice and it will stop for about a week or so and start back up, it does this just about everyday. whats the significance of the remote filter? does it take the place of the factory one or is it just an extra filter? and what exactly is the mlp sensor? i did some searchng and turned up about nothin.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The MLPS is more than just a neutral saftey switch, it controls shifting of the trans. also, I had to replace the MLPS on my 94 Bronco because it was doing the same thing shifting in and out of gears while driving. I bought mine from Ford because they have an upgrade to use the 95 MLPS on the earlier e4d's.
Mine has shifted fine ever since.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The MLPS (Manual Lever Position Sensor) is a resistor grid.
It sensors the position your shifter is in, and signals it to the computer.

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
broncos&bombs said:
ive changed the fluid and filter twice and it will stop for about a week or so and start back up, it does this just about everyday. whats the significance of the remote filter? does it take the place of the factory one or is it just an extra filter? and what exactly is the mlp sensor? i did some searchng and turned up about nothin.

What is the purpose in the remote filter? Well to filter the trans fluid and keep it clean. I put one onn mine and changed it every week for a month now i do it every oil change and it is clean as hell.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Does he have a lift with big tires and stock gears? That would cause the tranny to do that too.

I'd just flush the tranny and change fluid on it. I did that and it helped alot.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imlikeojnow said:
What is the purpose in the remote filter? Well to filter the trans fluid and keep it clean. I put one onn mine and changed it every week for a month now i do it every oil change and it is clean as hell.
ok i figured that it filters the fluid, but is it just used to filter the fluid just that much more?

for buckin bronco93: 2 in lift coils with add-a-leafs and skyjacker shocks, everything else is stock.

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
broncos&bombs said:
ok i figured that it filters the fluid, but is it just used to filter the fluid just that much more?

for buckin bronco93: 2 in lift coils with add-a-leafs and skyjacker shocks, everything else is stock.

it filters the fluid so that bad fluid that doesnt come out of the radiator and get into the radiator.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
bronco lover said:
Pull the codes
Check for codes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
the egr sensor is a type of preassure diferential devivce like a map/boost sensor. This is how it measures "egr flow" this is then computed in the ecm along with the map sensor to calculate for engine "load" which will effect shift charachteristics. if the egr "flow" isnt sensed or it is flowing fine with the sensor not able to "sense" the flow the ecm will see this "extra air" and compute for a higher demand thus altering shift characteristics. you are probably feeling the torque converter locking and unlocking as a result. this explanes the reason that when you change the fluid that it goes away is that you are superheating the fluid because the t/c isn't remaining locked.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts