Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
penis
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after everything with my torque converter issue I decided to get prices:
Shop A (specific a transmission shop) $500 for replacement of the torque converter 1100 for a complete rebuild of the tranny
Shop B (universal shop that does everything) $600 for a converter 1300 for a complete rebuild (Guy was actually recommended to me by a buddy who works at Ford they would use all OEM parts from ford)
This is an E4OD tranny. I am aiming for a rebuild first shop is 6 monthes 6000 miles second is 6 monthes unlimited miles

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Are you talking about removing/replacing the tranny yourself, and just having them rebuild it in their shop?

Or are you gonna let them do all the heavy lifting as well?...........

·
penis
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends probably go see my parents a couple times a month around 170 miles one way, if I get my kid thats 140 miles round trip depends on my work schedual thou, driving to and from work is around 20 miles a day 4-6 times a week.

·
penis
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OH before I forget I owe Miesk and SIG a big thanks in informing me about the E4OD tranny and all the info I needed on it.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
$1600---$1800-ish sounds a bit cheap to me. Over here in Hell-A, a full rebuild with r&r'ing starts at about $2300.00..........

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
$1600---$1800-ish sounds a bit cheap to me.
I was thinking the same thing, to be honest. I mean, I wouldn't ever let anyone else touch my truck, let alone stick their hands in its most important components. But if I had to get a transmission rebuild, I'd expect somewhere near the $2000 mark, and a MUCH better warranty. Six months seems like nothing, IMO.

If *I* were building it for someone else, I'd give 'em two years or 48,000 miles. Yes, I'm that damn good. :imp

EDIT: Whatever you do, don't let them put racing components into it, or try to add more steels/frictions to the clutch packs. Rarely have I seen a shop really know what they were doing when attempting such a modification.

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,515 Posts
Sounds like option 2 is the better way to go, if he does use OEM parts. Ask if he has much experience with the E4OD's and so on. The guy who rebuilt mine has a lot of experience with them. Those prices are awesome too, mine ran me $2,615.

·
penis
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like option 2 is the better way to go, if he does use OEM parts. Ask if he has much experience with the E4OD's and so on. The guy who rebuilt mine has a lot of experience with them. Those prices are awesome too, mine ran me $2,615.
According to my local ford dealer this is owned by a former tranny tech from ford. Only difference the shop has been in service for over 20 years recently bought by a former ford tranny tech when the local ford dealer let one of there techs go during the whole automotive fiasco Ford said they were going to close some dealerships in the area. I will call him tomorrow probably stop by and go into more detail with the owner. He did seem to know what he was talking about he asked my about DTC codes, said if the tranny was failing I should have muiltiple but he also said to pull the pan and check inside the converter and look for discoloration but he said as long as he is in there no reason to go into the tranny and get it rebuilt which would include new seals clutch packs valve body and converter. Hey sig you want to rebuild my tranny

·
Registered
668 Posts
i had mine e4od and torque converter rebuilt for 1200 with a 1 year warranty and shipped to my house. i dropped it with my dad though. i would suggest dropping the tranny yourself to save alot of money

·
Registered
232 Posts
$1600---$1800-ish sounds a bit cheap to me. Over here in Hell-A, a full rebuild with r&r'ing starts at about $2300.00..........
I got out the door for 1850 with all hard parts upgraded, small shop in Bellflower, this was in May of '09. The shop was starving and they cut on the R&R labor to get the job. It's lasted about 25k of freeway driving and 405 commuting, so far. Year warranty just popped, so I figure it will poop the bed, but we shall see.

·
Super Moderator
25,843 Posts
yo,
For a higher price; Remanufactured Transmissions & Engines - Motorcraft® Brand, 1995 5.0 Bronco
List Price: $4,089.69
Retail Price: $3,104.45
Jobber Price: $1,858.95
Core Deposit: $1,000.00

Woody's Price: $2,370.16

Remanufactured Transmissions & Engines - Motorcraft® Brand, Broncos & all Ford vehicles 19.38 MB pdf
Source: by fordinstallersupport.com @ http://www.fordinstallersupport.com/files/catalogs/ptm200.pdf
or

Remanufactured Transmissions & Engines - Dual Brand, Broncos & all Ford vehicles 35.29 MB pdf
Source: by fordinstallersupport.com @ http://www.fordinstallersupport.com/files/catalogs/ptf200.pdf
get some estimates from tthe Distributors & Ford; Ford has a good guarantee and the Qual is up there. And the Ford reman trannys/engines do not need to be installed by a Ford Dealer

Look at this Excerpt;
"...Ford and Motorcraft Remanufactured Transmissions and Gas Engines
Ford Motor Company, The American Road, Dearborn, MI 48121 (“Ford”) provides the following Limited Warranty on Ford and Motorcraft Remanufactured
Transmissions and Gas Engines to Ford, Lincoln and Mercury Dealers (each being a “Dealer”) or general Installers (each being an “Installer”). This Limited Warranty provides that Ford will credit the Dealer or Installer for repairing or replacing, at Ford’s option, any Ford or Motorcraft Remanufactured Transmission or Gas Engine sold by Ford that is found to be defective in factory-supplied material or workmanship subject to the following terms, conditions and limitations:
Retail Customers: To obtain warranty service, please return your vehicle to any Ford, Lincoln or Mercury Dealership or return to the Installer who
originally installed the Ford or Motorcraft Engine or Transmission Assembly in your vehicle. Please have your original dated receipt for installation date verification.
Complete Gas Engine Long Block Assemblies (6006/6V012) and Transmission Assemblies (7000/7V000/7003)
• 36 months or 36,000 miles from warranty start date, whichever occurs first. Ford will cover 100% of all parts and labor at approved warranty reimbursement rates
• If installed by a Dealer, reasonable towing charges (up to 35 miles or to the nearest Dealer) are covered only if the vehicle is not covered under
another towing insurance coverage Short Blocks (6009/6V009), Cylinder Heads (6049/6V049) and Crankshaft Kits (6303/6V303) for Gas Engines
• 12 months or 12,000 miles from warranty start date, whichever occurs first. Ford will cover 100% of all parts and labor at approved warranty reimbursement rates
• If installed by a Dealer, reasonable towing charges (up to 35 miles or to the nearest Dealer) are covered only if the vehicle is not covered under
another towing insurance coverage
Warranty Start Date
• Ford and Motorcraft Remanufactured Transmissions and Gas Engines installed by the Dealer or Installer—warranty begins on the date of installation
• Ford and Motorcraft Remanufactured Transmissions and Gas Engines sold by Dealer or Installer over-the-counter or to a retail purchaser—
on the date of sale
Limitations to the Warranty
The following limitation applies to the products covered by this Limited Warranty
• Towing charges are not reimbursable for Ford and Motorcraft Remanufactured Transmissions and Gas Engines sold
over-the-counter by a Dealer or Installer..."

read more incl the;
"No-Risk" Core Return policy means accurate quotes for engine and transmissions are no problem. 100 percent core credit will be given (regardless of damage or quality of returned core); just follow these guidelines and the return runs
smoothly.
• Returned core is the same part as the assembly purchased
• Core is 100% complete with all parts attached and all fluids drained and is returned in original package..."

·
penis
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am talking about the shop not replacing the whole tranny.... They would pull the factory tranny replace the guts, converter, pump, valve body. I think I may have been misleading on what I said. Which I would rather go with a decent rebuild from a decent shop.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i feel ya, right before i got rid of my 93 f150 push button sissy mobile the e40d was getting sketchy took it to ford refered local trans shop and they wanted 2800 to rebuild and upgrade to one ton parts. so now im a manual man and happy bout it!

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
Ouch, I know a guy that does any trannys around 900 bucks, and they do GOOD. My girlfriend's dad has all his work trucks serviced there, and these work trucks are abused hard.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I dunno that seems right on par, expecially with prices around here..

We just had my fiancee's truck's transmission rebuilt.. Dealer wanted 3600, then we did some shopping, found a transmission shop, that did the r/r for 1600 plus towing there, and 5 year 100k mile warranty..

That was about 7 months ago, and the truck is STILLr unning very very strong

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
I dunno that seems right on par, expecially with prices around here..

We just had my fiancee's truck's transmission rebuilt.. Dealer wanted 3600, then we did some shopping, found a transmission shop, that did the r/r for 1600 plus towing there, and 5 year 100k mile warranty..

That was about 7 months ago, and the truck is STILLr unning very very strong
around were?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts