Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Man of endless projects
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i replaced the tranny filter and fliud flush in my 96 E4OD. now the tranny slips badly in 2nd and alittle in others. the tranny is 180k miles and has never been rebuild, never even had the filter changed, and since ive owned it its seen some hell. i figuered its still driving alright for now so ill keep driving till i can get money for rebuild. i can get a rebuild kit for around 250$ on Summit. however i want to also make the tranny alittle stronger without spending over 400-500 (or cheaper if possible). is there any kits like this around? all i see are kits 1500+ to make for extreme trannys. or should i jsut get the rebuild and a transgo shiftkit and leave it at that? o and im gonna take it to get it rebuilt, theres no way i can do it but i dont like paying 200% more for parts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ahhh the old argument of "to flush or not to flush" the trans fluid... I for one have always believed if you are going to flush a trans you should do so at regular intervals from new, otherwise just leave it alone and don't touch it. Heard a lot of stories like this one. I am sure there are some guys on here that can help you out with rebuild tips but I typically steer clear of transmission work.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I hate threads like this.. I got mine at 65k and am now at about 72k. I don't know if it was ever changed before but I have to assume no to be safe. I guess it's early enough in the life in terms of mileage to be ok but if it's been 15 years with the same fluid that is a concern.

·
Man of endless projects
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i ogt this truck at 168k and i didnt know if the PO ever changed the filter or flushed it or not so i never did when i got it for that reason. however firday night i crushed my pan and it leaked out pretty bad to where i wouldnt shift in gear anymore. so i had a friend drive me to a walmart (it was 3-4am nothing else open) and got me some cheap multipurpose ATF and some RTV to fix the leak temporarily and it got me home with some slipage. yesturday i changed the filter and flushed it of that cheap crappy fluid and now all but 2nd gear are fine it seems. idk if i burned it up when it ran out or if its from the flush but this is what its done.

because the tranny has so many miles, i dont mind rebiulding it soo much but i do have to gather money for abit to do it. jsut figuered while im geting it rebuilt, if there some other kits that will make it better than a stock rebuild but not kill my wallet, that would be far worth it to me. im gonna put some tranny friction aditive to it to help make this last longer hopefully and drive it sparingly

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Ahhh the old argument of "to flush or not to flush" the trans fluid... I for one have always believed if you are going to flush a trans you should do so at regular intervals from new, otherwise just leave it alone and don't touch it.
I do the same. I dislike auto's

·
Registered
61 Posts
Before you go jumping into rebuilding your transmission might want to check your fluid and make sure you used the right fluid. Using to thin or to thick fluid can make it slip.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
he posted this thread last yr sportsman. I think the problem has been delt with,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts