Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Man of endless projects
9,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my E4OD slippes realy bad in 1st and 2nd cause a tranny cooler line broke and leaked out all its fluid and burned it out when trailriding. I ordered a tranny rebuild kit and a transgo shiftkit cause my friends dad said he would rebuild it for me for 100$ if i pull it. however since he hasnt rebuild a tranny in 15 years, im kinda sketched of him doing it. i would take it somewhere but i have 300$ worth of parts and most places wont let me use them. even tho i dont like the idea of my friends dad doing it yet hes more experienced than me, im htinking i might wana take a shot at it, gotta start learning somewhere afterall. should i try it or jsut let my friends dad do it? if i do it, im gonna get a rebuild manual plus if anybodys got some helpfull info, that would help also

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,270 Posts
There is probably a manual with all the latest additions in it already when I purchased one years back I had to buy a separate manual with ask the upgrades just keep in mind it is 100% beneficial to buy mag base and presicion depth gage to check tolerances and more important keep them in specified ranges otherwise you'll end up with $300 worth of scrap hard parts.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I did my own but the biggest impediment is the special tools you need. I fabbed my own, if you can do a little fab work, then you can do that too and save a bunch of money. If your friend's dad has experience inside automatic transmissions that would be good. There's nothing inside there that won't be familiar to him. If he's got the E4OD-specific tools that would be even better.

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts

·
Man of endless projects
9,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know i dont have specific tools and i doubt he does either. i odnt know how to fab anything. what special tools does it ask for? ill tyr and ge ta tranny book tonight jsut to see what it asks. im also trying to look for a tranny guy that will do it under the table cause any warrenty will be void by the following friday night anways

·
Man of endless projects
9,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"im also trying to look for a tranny guy that will do it under the table" Sweeet-
you saying thats the best option? ive gone to a few and they refused the offer. still have a few others to try tho.

had this problem with my rear differential already this year where i supplied the parts which voided the warrenty on those parts but there instaliation failed afte a few months cause they didnt use locktight on some bolts. took afew days for them to decide we go 50-50 on the costs however ithen lsot my limited slip and now its open.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The manuals def. help. If you have some decent mechanical experience, you can do it no problem. They're not bad at all. As far as the special tools, you can always improvise :) I've done 2 so far, and got by with using small gauge wire, a piece of angle iron, and a bottle jack, LOL.

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
Man, I used to know a transmission guy that did work on the side, but I cant find his contact info anywhere. I found him on craigslist. He had an ad on there for rebuilding transmissions. Maybe you can find someone like that. Theres so many out of work auto repair guys, you could find one willing to work for cheap to help you.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
Kingfish999, I was saying that the quote sounds reALLy gay !!! When it comes to the E40D, I would not let anyone touch the transmission who wasn't a pro at it. These aint the old c-4's and c-6's......

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,270 Posts
Man there sure are a bunch of parts in these things most of the special tools are for getting the seals in. The back half shares a lot of the gear train with a C-6 different ratio of course it just has a bunch more packed in there with it. I always make sure I have plenty of counter space to work with and for the love of god make sure it's a clean area vaseline is a great assy lube, cardboard from old refrigerator boxes and such makes a good surface to work from. If you are not mechanically inclined and don't have a well equipped shop I would not even try it a auto trans assembled the wrong way and with out careful eye for detail will end up in failure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
well since ya ordered ya parts already i would have told ya to get diesel parts and a updated diesel valve body cause they fit in there. mine shifts hard enough to snap necks but it does shift smooth when your just putting around. and youll have more tehn enough of a built trans to handle more tehn enough power for a engine. built big block or anything

·
Currently FSB divorced
956 Posts
I remember way back when, I had mine rebuilt i got to see all the pieces, i have to say very intimidating. I give ya props for wanting to try! I paid the $2300 but never had another issue for ten years i owned it!

·
Registered
580 Posts
The E4OD isnt a begiiner tranny IMO. There is one special tool needed , but it can be fabbed if you get a good look at the real one as well as understand what it does. The pump can be removed with the input shaft instead of a slide hammer. Do a google search on how to air test it. A good manual will have the air test procedure. If it is slipping the problem is more than likely a hydraulic issue. It could be in the valve body and wouldnt even require pulling the tranny.

·
Super Moderator
26,988 Posts
yo,
For an idea on the tools needed, see this; both manuals usually go for $35.00
Description & Operation, Identification Tag, Parts Break-Out Diagram w/Nomenclature, Seals, Rings & Gaskets Locator, MLPS/Transmission Range (TR) Sensor & Lamp Operation, Transmission Shift Patterns, Main Components & Functions, Electronic Control System, Diagnosis & Testing, In-Vehicle Service, R&R, Cleaning & Inspection, Specifications, & Special Service Tools/Equipment; "...Covers assembly, dis-assembly, diagnosis, troubleshooting, and electronic controls & operation..." 5.18 MB pdf; suggest you download & save
Source: by Automatic Transmission Service Group (ATSG)

Update Handbook; "...covers engineering changes that have occured from 1989 to 1995, parts affected by the change, interchangability & part numbers. Includes: Valve body and checkball changes thru 1996; 1989-1995 valve body checkball location; 1996 valve body checkball locations; early 1989 case checkball locations; late 1989 case checkball locations; 1990-1995 case checkball locations; 1996 case checkball locations; spacer plates and identification; main valve body differences and identification; lower valve body differences and identification; case differences and identification; output shaft changes; overdrive section failure; 4th clutch snap ring change; low roller clutch inner race change; cooler line fitting changes; low roller clutch assembly change; overdrive sprag changes; ball bearing center support change; overdrive carrier and input shaft change; cast iron overdrive carrier; direct clutch housing change; solenoid pack change for 1995 models; front pump change for 1995 models; intermediate servo piston change; sun gear differences; 1989-1995 valve body; 1996 valve body (exploded view); new design pump cover and stator shaft (blocked cooler); reverse clutch lip seals for 1996; larger design low roller clutch change; new design forward ring gear hub and planetary; ew design overdrive clutch piston and housing; cooler by-pass valve added to some 1997 models; lube orifice cup plug added to 1997 models; new design front pump for 1997-1998 models; new design 6 pinion forward and rear planetary arriers; new design sun shell; ntermediate diode freewheel failure; increased overdrive clutch capacity..." 11MB pdf

Rebuild, High Performance
Source: by RacerX at http://web.archive.org/web/20100903192852/http://www.thedieselgarage.com/projects/e4od/index.htm
almost all pics are gone

more info in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=63
incl (go there for Hot Links to each);
FORD BRONCO -> TRANSMISSION, TRANSFER CASE, DRIVE SHAFT -> Automatic -> E4OD

Rebuild
Source: by Traveler (Centurion) at fourdoorbronco.com

Rebuild in a 92
Source: by yoomooman (eddy) at SuperMotors.net

Rebuild Overview
Source: by Dexter R at Orange County Transmissions via offroad.automotive.com

Rebuild pics & info in a 95
Source: by Ian L (stangmata, stangmata50l, Bronco) at SuperMotors.net

Rebuild Tips

·
Man of endless projects
9,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thats a hell of a manual. looks veri intimidating but the steps look more or less simple. but ya id rather not try. ill take apart my old C6 just to seer how it is before i start on a E4OD

1 - 19 of 19 Posts