Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swapped my parts truck E4OD into the Bronco after my pump seal blew out on my original trans. New trans seemed to be working fine around town, but my shift indicator was way off and I could get it down into 1st gear. Adjusted the MLPS this past weekend but it didn't seem to make any difference. Drove the truck down to work today, about 100 miles, and it seemed to run fine.

Went out at lunch today and when I came back it clunked into reverse and slipped backing up. Had to rev the engine to get it to move and it was clearly popping in and out of gear. After work, I tried reverse upon startup and it was fine, but after a 30 min drive it was hesitating again. Also seemed to slip a little in OD when accelerating from a stop.

When I got home I adjusted the shift indicator after looking up on here how to do it, saved again by FSB! Didn't realize how easy that would be! :doh0715:

Then I adjusted the MLPS back to the original position from where I moved it this past weekend and took the truck for a cruise. Again, was fine at first and then slipped once it was warm. Is it possible that the shift cable needs to be adjusted? I looked up the procedure this weekend and didn't understand the following instruction:

4. Pull down the lock tab on the shift cable body.

What lock tab? I've been under the truck multiple times and have no idea where the lock tab is? Found this diagram searching and still don't get it.

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/434182

Can someone shed some light? Is it even possible that an out of adjustment cable would cause the trans to slip badly in reverse? I searched, but all I found were the instructions in the link below from the Chiltons manual, but there's no pics.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98564&highlight=e4od+cable

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
26,718 Posts

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
On the ride to work this morning trans was slipping bad accelerating from a start as soon as I fired it up. Once it was warm when I got to work, there was no reverse unless I revved the engine and then it slammed into reverse. Seems like 1st gear may actually be there too, but only when you rev the engine and then it slams in and out of gear like reverse. Also had an intermittent check engine light that would come on as it was slipping when accelerating from a stop and then would shut off once I was moving at a steady speed. Won't be able to pull the codes until tomorrow though.

I'm thinking and hoping that this is due to a loose trans filter? If the trans filter came loose would it cause slipping and minimal or no reverse/1st gear? I noticed yesterday when the problem with reverse first started that there were bubbles in the fluid, but didn't think too much about it. Now I've searched some more and it seems to be a strong indicator of a loose filter. Will I kill the trans driving it 100 miles home tonight with a loose filter? Once home I'd have a garage to change the fluid in, otherwise I'd be lying on my back in my buddy's driveway in the snow.

Obviously should have mentioned the bubbles in my original post! :banghead

Regarding the Cable adjustment, there was no specific pick in that post, but I think I now get it. Basically you free the cable from the hole it goes through in transmission cable bracket, adjust the shift lever on the trans to drive and then pop the cable back into place?

·
Super Moderator
26,718 Posts

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
There are also filter retainer clips available, if you don't want to add the magnet. Same function, pretty much.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys.

Drove it home last night and it was perfect on the high way. OD and D worked fine, but clearly there were no lower gears and reverse is toast. Once I got home reverse was worse, only moved by revving the engine and then it shuddered in and out. Neutral wouldn't allow the truck to roll, but it also didn't engage any gears. I'm betting its toast!

Would a bad MLPS or TPS cause any of this?

·
Super Moderator
26,718 Posts
yo!
MLPS can cause a bunch of probs incl; "...Some of the problems the MLPS can cause are wrong- gear starts, TCC hunting, no 4th gear, engine stalling, high or erratic line pressure and the problem that this article is about – a sudden neutral condition...:" read rest of this by Pete L at transonline.comby Pete L at transonline.com

You can tr shoot it; check a few Troubleshooting Links in my site;
& Water Intrusion of MLP/TR Sensor TSB 95-2-12 by Ford for 89-94
01/30/95
; how does it look? ck connectors

did you ck fluid level? is fluid discolored or toasty smelling?

btw, did you get to scan for codes?; read all of this; SELF TEST - & DTCs; COMPREHENSIVE by Steve 83 TPS should throw a few codes, such as 122 : Throttle Position (TP) sensor circuit low voltage, etc.
GL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts