Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Bronco XLT, 5.0L, automatic, 3.55 gears
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1991 Bronco 5.0. I'm testing my shift solenoid pack by checking resistance across the pins. I'm supposed to have 20-30 ohms of resistance at the solenoids but only have 18. To me this is a failed test but none of the testing instructions I've seen tell what it means if the results fall outside of that range, even by a few ohms. Has anyone else performed this test with similar results? Solenoids 1,2, TCC, and Coast Clutch all had 18.6 ohms. The EPC showed 4.4 which is within the acceptable range. Fluid Temp sensor resistance was around 78k which is acceptable based on the current temperature. Here is the diagram I used for testing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm just going to assume this means a failed solenoid pack and will order one Monday. I've read Sonnax makes good transmission parts but need to be ordered from a transmission parts supplier. I haven't found anything in stock so it'll need to be ordered regardless.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm just going to assume this means a failed solenoid pack and will order one Monday. I've read Sonnax makes good transmission parts but need to be ordered from a transmission parts supplier. I haven't found anything in stock so it'll need to be ordered regardless.
Thanks for posting this I'm going to be checking mine tomorrow im getting code 94 which has to do with the TCC. I'd be inclined to agree with you that an out of range resistance = bad pack.

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,602 Posts
What symptoms are you experiencing? 2 ohm difference may be the calibration (or lack of) of your meter.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What symptoms are you experiencing? 2 ohm difference may be the calibration (or lack of) of your meter.
My notes are at home but I was getting either codes 622 or 626 (don't remember which) and 629. Also the truck would stall in reverse, no immediately but once I tried to give it throttle. It appeared to be worse after a little bit of driving. Once warm, I have to alternate between reverse and neutral to keep it running while backing up. I bought the bronco knowing it had issues. I'll check a known resistance to see what my meter reads.

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,602 Posts
I would lean more towards a bad connection between the solenoid pack and the computer. Many times the solenoid connector gets compromised with dirt/grease/moisture.

Reactions: miesk5 and Jah4m

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would lean more towards a bad connection between the solenoid pack and the computer. Many times the solenoid connector gets compromised with dirt/grease/moisture.
I'll check again but the harness plug and pins looked clean and appeared to have a good connection. I didn't find any obvious breaks in the wiring. I didn't check the connection before removing the solenoids so in theory it could have been loose but it felt like a solid connection when I removed the shift solenoid pack. The broken connector tab gives me the impression it has been out before. I checked voltage but that's about all I was able to verify at the plug.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,602 Posts
I have a hard time believing a 2 ohm under reading is causing your transmission codes. As always I could be wrong but would hate to see you spend money then have the same issue(s).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a hard time believing a 2 ohm under reading is causing your transmission codes. As always I could be wrong but would hate to see you spend money then have the same issue(s).
Me too, that's why I asked. I've got the wiring diagrams and plan to check continuity of each wire on the transmission plug before replacing the solenoid pack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts