Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 with a 351, E4OD, 4" lift, 124K miles, tow package with Ford oil cooler which pulls my 5000 lds travel trailer. Coming home after Easter it bumped transmission fluid out of the overflow 4 to 5 qu. Why? The torque converter has started to slip, checked the fault code, causing more heat and thus the overflow, ye the temp gauge was up but only just over the mid point. With new fluid and, a new 16" x16" oil cooler the truck runs fine, good shifts and there was no metal in the pan, but the TC still slips. I need a cheap fix for this summer and am thinking of simply changing the torque converter. Has any one done this after a similar problem, if so did the transmission last, any recommendations regarding a replacement TC, given that I hope to rebuild the whole thing next year please don't suggest a $1200 TC.

Thanks

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Just replace the torque converter yourself. It's not too difficult, but it is time-consuming. A remanufactured converter shouldn't run more than about $300. I got one for ~$160 with a warranty, and through a pretty reputable shop in Ohio.

You'd better change it before the slippage literally COOKS the rest of your transmission. When I replaced mine, for the exact same reason, the front of the converter had blued from heat. The fluid was nearly black and smelled horrible; changing the fluid and filter did no good, because a week later and after making a 360-mile trip, it was just as bad again. I'm darn lucky the transmission still works perfectly after that. You're in the same situation now, so take advantage of it!!! Add to that the fact you use it to tow, and it's that much more important.

BTW, add some external filtration of some kind, e.g. an inline disposable filter. A shift kit would help the tranmission last longer as well, but it's not necessary.

Remember to change your front pump seal and stator shaft seal. My TCC failed because of that damn stator shaft seal failing, and it's only a $5 part from Ford. Both are definitely worth replacing while you have the converter off!!!

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
You'll get a code from the EEC in the E4OD. As for other transmissions, I'd think you would just notice that at the point where it normally locks up, it doesn't anymore. The TC in my E4OD locks up at 35mph, and it gets a linear increase with speed and engine speed. If the TC was failing, it would, where it normally has a linear increase in speed/rpm, you'd see the engine speed going faster then the vehicle speed.

·
broncofied
1,475 Posts
Just me i'd check all my pressures first make sure i knew what was going on. A possible solenoid not sending proper fludi flow, and pressure to the clutch could be causing the slip. Not the converter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fault codes take all the fight out of finding the problem and under very heavy loads you can hear TC, sounds a little like turbo whistle. The slip also causes more heat which you may see on the engine temperature gauge if your trans fluid still uses the radiator as a cooler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts