Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All: 1995 Bronco, EB, 220K Miles: paperwork in the glovebox shows a Transmission rebuild by Transmission shop somewhere (including solenoid pack) in 2008 when she was at 140k miles.

My issue is that she occasionally won't downshift by herself when slowing to a stop. Tends to happen more often when cold than after she warms up, and tends to happen more if she's gotten all the way up into 3rd or OD than if she's only gotten into 2nd.

If I don't either manually shift into Neutral or downshift manually into 1st, she'll stall. Upshifting never seems to be a problem, pretty smooth from 2-3 and into OD. Also having the OD On/Off doesn't seem to make a difference to the failure to downshift/stall when slowing.

Based on the other threads I have read, this could be a Solenoid Pack/speed detection issue, does that seem probable?

I don't have a Code Reader, ordered one and it hasn't arrived yet, but I will post Codes when I get it.

In the meantime, any ideas, anybody been down this road before?

Cheers & thanks, blokes. - Justin

·
Super Moderator
26,007 Posts
yo Justin,
This is by Ford for a 96 Bronco; is similar your 95;

"Shift Concerns: No 4-3 Shift (Automatic)
•Possible ComponentReference/Action

223 — ELECTRICAL ROUTINE
Powertrain Control System
•Electrical inputs/outputs, vehicle wiring harnesses, powertrain control module, throttle position sensor, vehicle speed sensor, shift solenoid 2
•Run On-Board Diagnostics. this is the scan tool test for Codes; Service as required. Clear codes, road test and rerun On-Board Diagnostics.

323 — HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL ROUTINE
Main Controls (Valve Body)
•Bolts not tightened to specification
Retighten bolts to specification.
•Gaskets damaged, misaligned
Inspect for damage and replace.
•Shift solenoid 2 malfunction
Refer to Electrical Routine No. 223.
•BS2, 3-4 shift valve damaged, missing, misassembled, stuck
Inspect for damage. Service as required.

Shift Concerns: No 3-2 Shift (Automatic)
Possible Component
Reference/Action

224 — ELECTRICAL ROUTINE
•Electrical inputs/outputs, vehicle wiring harnesses, powertrain control module, throttle position sensor, vehicle speed sensor, shift solenoid 1
Run On-Board Diagnostics. Clear codes, road test and rerun On-Board Diagnostics.

324 — HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL ROUTINE
Main Controls

•Gaskets damaged, misaligned
Inspect for damage and replace.

•Shift solenoid 1 malfunction
Refer to Electrical Routine No. 224.

•3-2 shift valve, stuck, damaged
Inspect for damage. Service as required.

Shift Concerns: No 2-1 Shift (Automatic)
Possible Component
Reference/Action

225 — ELECTRICAL ROUTINE
•Electrical inputs/outputs, vehicle wiring harnesses, powertrain control module, throttle position sensor, vehicle speed sensor, shift solenoid 2
Run On-Board Diagnostics. Clear codes, road test and rerun On-Board Diagnostics.

325 — HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL ROUTINE
Main Controls

•Gaskets, separator plate damaged, misaligned
•nspect for damage and replace.

•Shift solenoid 2 malfunction
Refer to Electrical Routine No. 225.

•D2 shift valve damaged, stuck
Inspect for damage. Service as required."

Some Possible Codes;
622 Shift solenoid #2 circuit failure

619 3 – 4 shift error

Post codes here; also can Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19; and then return the scan tool
http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-code-reader/?pid=74587&mode=threaded
A helper is good to assist in reading Codes; best is to take a cell fone vid and replay it.
Some basics;
Visual Check
1.Inspect the air cleaner and inlet ducting.
2.Check all engine vacuum hoses for damage, leaks, cracks, blockage, proper routing, etc.
3.Check EEC system wiring harness for proper connections, bent or broken pins, corrosion, loose wires, proper routing, etc.
4.Check the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), sensors and actuators for physical damage; IAC, TPS I see was replaced, etc.5.Check the engine coolant for proper level and mixture.
6.Check the transmission fluid level and quality. See E4OD Fluid Condition Check Below)
7.Make all necessary repairs before continuing
8. Check headlights

The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test.
Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears including Reverse.

Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic); or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch.

Turn off all accessories; radio, lights, A/C, heater, blower, fans, etc. (close driver's door)

Then turn off engine and wait 10 seconds.

Do KOEO test First

Post Code(s) here according to:
KOEO
&
KOER

1 - 2 of 2 Posts