Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just hit the road for the beach yesterday, cruising at 75, and I looked up in my mirror and saw the smoke cloud I was leaving behind. I managed to coast off the next exit and made it to a c-store parking lot. It left a trail of tranny fluid behind, and a pretty big puddle where we stopped. I didn't crawl under to see where it was coming out of. I just had it towed to a trans shop near home, had my bro come pick up my wife and kids, and we continued the trip in her car.

Any ideas? These do not have an external cooler, correct? -so no external lines to pop. Are there any seals likely to do this? The trans shop will look at it early next week.

At least we didn't get far, we were 30 miles into a 160 mile trip.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
If the trans is overheating the front pump seal will pooder fluid out. Get a big friggin auxillary trans cooler and use it AFTER the factory cooler has "done its job"...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I read through your trans threads there Stang. Good info.

So, pump seal means tranny comes out. Anything else to check for while it's out?

·
Registered
150 Posts
had the same exact thing happen to me on the highway.. was the pump seal.. and of course did rear main while i was in there as well.. not a bad job to do provided u have a lift i was fortunate enof to have one ...

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
Thanks guys. I read through your trans threads there Stang. Good info.

So, pump seal means tranny comes out. Anything else to check for while it's out?
No matter what the charge is, make them give you a new rear main seal! I can't say that enough, many places will just use the old one and that is totally boneheaded. Ford replaced my first bronco's tranny, and didn't replace the rear main and it leaked until i sold it. They wouldn't fix it because according to them it wasn't leaking bad enough, i know I should have taken them to small claims,. Plus, every bronco I've had has had a rear main leaking a bit. It is just a weak spot on these bronco's, pay the shop and extra 50 and make sure they change it. Everytime a tranny comes out that seal should be replaced.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Sounds like one of those jobs I just don't want to screw with, I'll let the shop handle it. I'll definately have them do the rear main seal while it's out.

I do have a 16' (2) axle trailer that I drag around with the Bronco alot. I probably drag the trailer more often than not when driving it, at least lately. I did not have the trailer when this seal blew. I do intend to haul my car to the track with it. I'd probably be around 4000 total pounds. Sounds like I should go ahead and get a trans cooler on it.

How much weight are these BKO's good for towing? I know it depend on the setup- trailer brakes, etc. I've done a lot of towing in the past, see my sig- I used to drag a Bobcat around everyday- 12 to 15k lbs, depending on whatelse I needed.

I am still a Bronco noob though, bought it a few months ago. So far I've only hauled a couple 4-wheelers, furniture, loads of mulch... The heaviest load was a couple pallets of stone once, 2 tons plus the trailer weight, just a few miles though.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called the shop today, and they asked me to stop by, said they had seen a couple things they wanted to run by me. When I got there I was a a bit shocked that my trans was completely in pieces. I had only authorized them to swap the seals, install a cooler, and replace it for about $1200. They assured me that they would charge no extra for the tear down, but would suggest I change a few of the parts-

The clutch disks showed some blackening, but were completely intact. There was a lock ring that showed some wear, the pump inside the front housing had some wear by a feeler guage.... But overall the internals were in pretty good shape. They told me they'd put it back together for the same $1200 price, or charge just parts at no more than 100-200 bucks to do this extra stuff.

So for $13-1400, I'll have new clutches, seals, pump housing, cooler, rear main seal. Sounds to me like a refreshed, but not rebuilt trans. I know nothing about trannys though. What else would you do for a rebuild? Does this sound ok?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally got it back today. They replaced the clutches and the other internal stuff, and replaced the rear main seal, but they didn't install the tranny cooler. They insisted I don't need it. :banghead

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
I finally got it back today. They replaced the clutches and the other internal stuff, and replaced the rear main seal, but they didn't install the tranny cooler. They insisted I don't need it. :banghead
They are wrong. Get yourself (if you havent) a large auxillary cooler and either bypass the radiator cooler and run the auxillary only, or run the auxillary after the radiator. Do it. Do it soon. Then, dont ever use that transmission shop again.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Whole crap, I think you got ripped off at $1200. I was quoted on my rear main at about $700.. Goto to know it's all running good now though.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whole crap, I think you got ripped off at $1200. I was quoted on my rear main at about $700.. Goto to know it's all running good now though.

I'm ok with it, they charged 685 for the remove, replace and rebuild labor, right in line with your 700 quote. They tore the trans down, I saw it it pieces, and did change all the wear parts in the trans- clutches, torque converter, pump, pump housing, etc... for 1391 total. The hard parts, gears, etc were within specs. I think I got a pretty decent deal for a rebuilt tranny installed.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, maybe it wasn't such a good deal. I just got back from a drive with the trailer and it's stuck in limp mode. It's starting off in 2nd gear I think, and won't go into reverse. :banghead

Back to the shop it goes.

Edit: It's pretty hot here today, about 92. The trailer was empty on the way back when this started. The engine temp guage was steady on the higher side of normal, but not close to overheating. No check engine lights or anything. I'll let it cool down a bit and see if it goes back to normal.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an update if anyone cares- the shop says it was the torque converter. They say they replaced it with a new one that was defective, and it caused the fluid to overheat and trashed a couple parts in the trans again. They rebuilt it again, said they will send the bill to the parts supplier/manufacturer.

That's their story anyway. I did stop by mid-week and saw they had it disassembled again. I tried to break it on my way home. So far so good, only 5 miles to the house though.

Still no trans cooler. We discussed it again, but I wasn't going to argue the point on that and make them do it if they don't agree. I look to get that done soon though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts