Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My transmission is having a few issues, but rather than repair my existing e4od with 235k, I'm thinking of swapping in a 4r100. It is my understanding they are basically the same trans. Just the 4r100 are stronger from the factory. I've come across some decent deals on lower mileage 4r100. Would my current ECU work if I found a 4r100 from a 5.4 super duty or f150? I figured if its a straightforward swap I would go for it. I tried finding threads about it but not having much luck but sure their here somewhere. Thanks for any help.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
98% sure that would be a no

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,596 Posts
I do not know of any application where the 4R100 has the correct bolt pattern to bolt up to a SBF engine. There may be a few around in the bigger trucks for a BBF though.

·
Super Moderator
26,992 Posts
yo
Ryan did an AOD to 4R70W Swap in an 86
Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72237

Ryan also wrote in another thread; "...4R70W is my future plan. It was stock in the 5.0L exploder. 1998-up are the extra premo good internals

As for the wiring and computer; your 1996 Bronco is Mass Air & OBD-II.
in 1996 all 5.8L came with E4OD for manual, but the 5.0L got both the E4OD and 4R70W.
So you can use a 5.0L/4R70W computer and harness.

These guys are the 4R70W kings: http://www.becontrols.com/
You can use a manual transmission computer, and their tranny computer if you want to spend some case.
Baumann has seen the 98-up 4R70W in 8 second Mustangs, so it can be a good tranny
It's a great tranny, but not the best option for towing. Look into the E4OD ungrades for heavey loads. the E4OD has better clutch lock up ablilties with big loads.

I wouldn't take out an E4OD for a 4R70W. You will need a new crossmember and driveshafts. You cna have the E4OD built pretty well these days. Most of the problems are from before 97, and bad rebuilders.

I have an AOD and don't tow anything. the 4R70W will bolt in mine with/out new driveshafts.

1300 for a BRAND NEW 4R70W:
http://www.becontrols.com/newtrans.htm
$425 for the computer

Or you can get a tranny from a rolled expoder for even less money..."

==

I'd stay wE4OD

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not interested in the 4r70w as from what I've heard the the e4od is a stouter unit. I kinow the 4r100s are the toughest & I figured it might be possible since I do have OBD2. If I could just have my current ECU tuned & run the 4r100 I would consider it. If I can't use my bellhousing on a 4r100 & its gonna be a lot more trouble than its worth ill just keep looking for another e4od. The main reason I was considering it was that I found a gas 4r100 for a good deal & was gonna pick it up if it would work. Thanks for the replies though guys & if anyone has done this please let me know.

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,596 Posts
IIf I can't use my bellhousing on a 4r100 & its gonna be a lot more trouble than its worth ill just keep looking for another e4od. The main reason I was considering it was that I found a gas 4r100 for a good deal & was gonna pick it up if it would work. Thanks for the replies though guys & if anyone has done this please let me know.
These transmissions have integral bell housings. Meaning that the bell housing is part of the transmission case. You cant take one off and put another one on like on some manual transmissions. It would be nice though if you could. I think that the best bet for you is to get a well built E4OD with 4R100 internals and some aftermarket beef ups.

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I feel like an idiot. I had a Disneyland moment. Lol. I tried to click on that link to that transmission & it said I don't have access to that page?? I'll be looking for a fresh e4od soon.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
I feel like an idiot. I had a Disneyland moment. Lol. I tried to click on that link to that transmission & it said I don't have access to that page?? I'll be looking for a fresh e4od soon.
That is because you don't have enough post to view the for sale section here. (silly rule I think, but I am just one person)

tim

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah. I figured that out after I replied here earlier & tried finding it in the for sale section. I could understand not being able to post items for sale until you have a certain # of post, but to not be able to view items for sale seems like that would just hurt the members that are trying to sell stuff. I just don't understand that I guess...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts