Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I would start a new thread since it is a new issue. I am probably going to be swapping out the E4OD in the 93 (lots of miles) for the AOD in my wrecked vehicle. The 93 is going to keep the EFI and I know I will probably have to find en equivalent PCM that was made for the AOD, but the question is: The AOD has the non-cable setup and the E4OD linkage is all cable. Will I be able to change out the linkage shaft from the AOD into the E4OD as I did with 2 AOD's 2 years ago in order to keep the cable setup?

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
you can keep your current computer. the AOD doesnt talk to it one bit. the AOD is a cable setup so i am not sure where you are getting that from. that AOD is also a weaker tranny but you probably already now that.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the AOD has just been rebuilt and the E4OD has many miles. I was thiking I would need a non-E4OD pcm for the engine. really, I just need to know if the cable linkage will bolt right up or was it different between the 2 trans.

·
Registered
92 Posts
agree on weakness and comp question plus why not just get a e4od off craigs you'll thank your self in the long run its about the only auto i have been happy with

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The AOD is a cable setup so i am not sure where you are getting that from.
The AOD is from an 88 and does NOT have cable linkage.

agree on weakness and comp question plus why not just get a e4od off craigs you'll thank your self in the long run its about the only auto i have been happy with
Because I have an AOD with little mileage and an E4OD with over 150,00 miles and it has problems.

·
Heavy and slow fun
1,152 Posts
You sure its an AOD? It could be a C6. AOD's have a TV cable which must be hooked up.
Your current ECM will be looking for signals from that E4OD and wont be happy without them.You will have to get a 5 speed ECM same year or an earlier ecm.

·
Registered
140 Posts
09/23/2005:

Is the "weaker" comment a matter of opinion or what?
Do some searches on this forum an others...the AOD is probably one of the weakest transmissions Ford has ever made. It is great passenger car transmission, but dont ask much more of it than that.

(I have been through 4 of them)

·
7,830 Posts
if the AOD is rebuilt sell it and find yourself i a good E4OD.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just need to know if the cable linkage shaft (selector) will bolt right up or was it different between the 2 trans.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I just need to know if the cable linkage shaft (selector) will bolt right up or was it different between the 2 trans.
I don't know, but I seriously doubt that they're the same. Since you already have both, go take a look at them and see what each one looks like. Oh, and for the record, this is a dumb swap. Strength wise the E40d is way stronger.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the opinions, but maybe if I were in a position where I had a rebuilt E4OD and a worn AOD, maybe the opinions wouldn't be here clouding the original question. No offense, but I didn't ask what everyone's opinions on the strength of the 2 trans were. I asked if anyone knows if the shafts would interchange. And for the record, I believe this is the same kind of thing that caused me to not come back here for a long time. If my thread is not what anyone is interested in seeing, then why bother to comment, let te thread die. So far, there has been one person addressing the question I asked but didn't know the answer - which is ok. But everyone telling me how to build or repair my truck to their approval is not really what I am interested in.

·
7,830 Posts
no we are trying to save you a big hassle and more work then necessary. also if you had a good e4od and a bad AOD you still wouldnt be doing the swap. you working with 2 different trannys, one using a tv cable and the other relying on the computer to operate properly. if you have both there why are you asking us if the linkage will work or not, go out and look and see. if they are the same than perhaps that part of the install will work. the reason no one an answer this is because nobody has done this swap before and we are giving you opinions of why you shouldnt be either. the e4od tranny is one of the most common out there and can be found in multiple vehicles that would work for you. i am a work smarter not harder and trying to MAKE something work usually ends in a big FAIL.

sorry if this rubs you the wrong way but most who have given there opinions have been around broncos for many many years including myself. but again do as you wish. your already committed to us that AOD so just start the swap and work out the kinks as you go.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, after some research (at the "prompting" I received from members here, i decided to sell the AOD and go with an E4OD. I have one with very low miles and basically stole it. I also bought a Baumann trans controller as I am keeping my carb setup and need to know if anyone has a pinout diagram for the PCM. I have looked high & low and cannot find one. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Whats your email addy. I'll send you a pcm pinout diagram.\

Actually come to think of it, Fireguy's website has one too.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thats not the PCM connector. Thats one of the disconnects to the engine firewall.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You know what?? You're right...DUH!! I didn't have that big connector on my 88 or at least it wasn't as visible. I see the correct one now. Thanks a million!!! And thanks for the email.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You have mail. Its the diagram i have from my shop manual.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts