Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I have a '93 Bronco XLT that I have pulled the original e.f.i. 302 and e4od trans. and replaced it with a carburated '71 429 and '78 C6 (both rebuilt) my dilemma is that the C6 NSS only has two wires comming out of it and the wire harness for the e4od has like eight (i think) I have found the wires that go to the back up lights and the starter reley on the e4od harness and have tried a couple things to make it work by using jumper wires from the harness to the C6 but not getting anywhere, I would like for everything to work as it is suppose to without adding an extra switch on the dash for the back up lights, has anyone done this before? Or am I the only fool here.
Also, shift linkage needs to be modified too, keeping in mind I would like to retain the stock column shifter, I'm pretty sure I could fab something up, but was wondering if anyone has a plan or drawing for this to save me some time. Any help with these last two problems would be greatly appreiciated.

P.S. I will post some pics of the beast soon.

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
The wires for my NSS were the same color going from AOD to C6. Since yours is newer it is possible they changed the color though.

All the NSS does is allow a signal to pass through it when in drive and not when in gear. So if you take a lead with some alligator clips and use trial and error you should be able to locate the two wires fairly quickly, especially if you have someone to turn the key when you are under trying different wires. When the thing starts from the ignition you have it found. Then just hook them to the two wires on your trans and you should be Go to Go

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks BJ19 and B.B.B. for the input I'm gonna try and find a different NSS that will work, thinking that is my best bet... Now, how about the shift cable bracket issue, anyone? The cable is attached to a piece of flat steel with two holes in it to bolt to the previous e4od, the C-6 bolt holes are off-set, I have made a spacer to use original cable bracket but bolt holes are off by half a hole (not a big deal) but not sure how to attach end of cable to the shift shaft, I am presently using a shift shaft from a '87 Bronco small block C-6.

also, E4OD is not the same as AOD

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
not sure how to attach end of cable to the shift shaft, I am presently using a shift shaft from a '87 Bronco small block C-6.
I'm guessing the C6 cable and the E4OD cable are different. Perhaps they are different at the trans end, but the same at the steering column end? IF so... it may be easier to swap out the cable than to gerry rig an attachment for it.

bigbrownbear,
E4OD is an Electronically controlled 4 speed Over Drive transmission. In the newer transmissions, the NSS is digital and goes by a number of names such as Digital Transmission Range Sensor, MLPS, MLP, MSLP, (Manual Shift Lever Position Sensor). As one moves the shift lever to a different position, the MLP moves to a different resistance value, and sends that info to the PCM so the PCM knows whether the driver wants Park, Reverse, Neutral, D1-2-3. The PCM then commands the trans shift solinoids to move.

Here are picutures of one that is dissassembled from a windstar. If it is not identicle for an E4OD, it is similar.

http://www.fordforumsonline.com/forum/engine-drivetrain/6023-98-windstar-p0302-p0303-missfire-codes-bad-fuel-trims-3.html#post38003

Davin429,
There is a pdf attachment in that thread that has the pin-outs for the eight wire NSS/MLP I don't think that you need it at this point, and the colors may be different for your harness, but Ford does often follow the same color patterns in different vehicles for the same components.

http://www.fordforumsonline.com/forum/engine-drivetrain/6023-98-windstar-p0302-p0303-missfire-codes-bad-fuel-trims-3.html#post38003

·
Super Moderator
23,106 Posts
yo, Good stuff guys!

Also,
E4OD to C6 EEC Swap Info in a 95; "..."...I can make the electrical work Just the cost of the computer, $50-$200 depending on your shoping skills. 1994-95 5.0L Mustang (manual trans) F4ZF-12A650-EA T4M0, A1 CARDONE Part # 785918 ,STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # EM10101..."
Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49677&page=3

E4OD to C6 Swap Info a 95 (all pics are gone, info begins on page 4; see Raf's bronkzilla.com site or Link here); go to page 2 or 3 and see Fireguys info on the EEC comp swap
Source: by Rafael E (Bronkzilla, stressed) at http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49677&page=4

E4OD to C6 Swap Issues in a 95 (all pics are gone; Source: by Rafael E (Bronkzilla, stressed) at http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63390

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BJ19>>> I'm guessing the C6 cable and the E4OD cable are different. Perhaps they are different at the trans end, but the same at the steering column end? IF so... it may be easier to swap out the cable than to gerry rig an attachment for it.

miesk5, I don't need the computer anymore accept to make the digital odometer and speedo. to work, so I'm not looking for a different computer if that's what you were talking about.

I think the 80's have shift cable attached to the column actuator in the engine compartment close to the fire wall, where 90's (or whenever they made the switch) cable comes through the fire wall and is attached to the actuator on the steering column assy. under the dash, I had thought about doing that but have no idea where to start as far as what year cable to try/modify and if it doesn't work it could get costly, but thank you everyone for all the input Y'all been a huge help. Oh yeah, by the way...Some of those NSS aren't cheap :shocked

Thinking it's time for :beer :beer :beer maybe one more :beer

·
Super Moderator
23,106 Posts
BJ19>>> miesk5, I don't need the computer anymore accept to make the digital odometer and speedo. to work, so I'm not looking for a different computer if that's what you were talking about.
yo; the VSS to PSOM (digital odometer and speedo) will be ok w/out the PCM change
ckt is from
from VSS to connector at firewall, at 4WABS Module TO at PSOM and then onto the PCM..from PSOM to Cruise (if installed) and to tranny E4OD
see diagrams in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=240

also;
also not checked for your year yet;
4WABS Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) Wiring Diagram Errors in 94 & 96 EVTMs; "...Below is one of the ABS pages from the 96 Bronco EVTM. Notice the pin numbers on the 4WABS Hydraulic Unit. Now notice the pin numbers on the same 4WABS Hydraulic Unit from the 94 EVTM. The ABS Hydraulic Unit connector is also different in the 96 EVTM. The same connector in the 94 EVTM. My best guess is that it took a couple of years before Ford got around to correcting the EVTM. I believe that they got it right in the 96 manual (finally)..."
Source: by Mikey350 at http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201244&highlight=4wabs

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, thanks again guys lots of great links I think I got this problem licked (so to speak lol)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts