Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if I’ll have trouble passing smog in California if I swap A ZF5 into a 1990 351w with E4OD? Assuming I need an ECU from an f250 with manual transmission.

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs.
318 Posts
Yes and no. If the smog tech doesn't know, you'll be fine, however the gear ratios may trigger a fault. You cannot change transmissions in CA without a BAR inspection, UNLESS that transmission was offered behind your engine in your year and model vehicle. Check out asktheref.com

I've done more smog research than anyone else I've met. Feel free to ask more questions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes and no. If the smog tech doesn't know, you'll be fine, however the gear ratios may trigger a fault. You cannot change transmissions in CA without a BAR inspection, UNLESS that transmission was offered behind your engine in your year and model vehicle. Check out asktheref.com

I've done more smog research than anyone else I've met. Feel free to ask more questions.
So I’ll need to get a BAR inspection to use the ZF in a 351w since the bronco is a 1/2 ton and the ZF was only offered in the f250 and f350 which are 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Is the BAR inspection easy or does it take time and money?
It requires making the install as OEM as reasonably possible, (having the oem wiring harness and ecu feedback is most likely needed) then setting up an inspection/meeting. The cost is reasonable, I believe a few hundred, and if you fail they will explain how to make it pass and you can reschedule either for free or less $ from what I recall.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It requires making the install as OEM as reasonably possible, (having the oem wiring harness and ecu feedback is most likely needed) then setting up an inspection/meeting. The cost is reasonable, I believe a few hundred, and if you fail they will explain how to make it pass and you can reschedule either for free or less $ from what I recall.
Good to know. I’ll look into contacting them as well. So It would be good to grab the donor parts all from the same CA truck or does that not matter.
Is there an ECU that’s tuned to CA emissions?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Good to know. I’ll look into contacting them as well. So It would be good to grab the donor parts all from the same CA truck or does that not matter.
Is there an ECU that’s tuned to CA emissions?
I would grab the extras from the same donor if possible. A similar year 351W /ZF5 F250 would probably be a good choice? Generally speaking, they don't like older parts going on newer vehicles, so it your bronco is a 1993, tell them the parts are from a 1993 or newer. Although, they may not allow the upgrade due to the GVWR difference, call and check before committing, and verify which M5OD gears are used during the smog check, if the ratios are close, they may not even notice it was swapped. You could always go up or down a size on tires or gear ratios to get the rpm right as well. Sometimes the gray area is easier.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,318 Posts
Cant help with the cali stuff...

But you'll need the EEC from a manual 5speed truck (or c6 automatic). That can be from an F150 or manual bronco too.

The zf only has one sensor that needs wired, which is the reverse light switch.

Donor crossmember and front driveshaft can come from any 87-96/7 4x4 with a 5 speed and SBF or 300. F350 shaft is different but can work. The big block and diesel stuff is slightly different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts