Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After tons of reading I've learned that the diesel E4ODs have a stand alone transmission controller. Ive never driven a early ford diesel before but I imagine that their rpm range is the same as almost any other diesel and therefore the transmission would have the correct shift points for my 4bt as well. Please correct me if my logic is wrong.

Would i be able to take that controller and hook it up to my gas E4OD to run behind my 4bt cummins?
Im pretty good at figuring stuff out and my brother can wire like no other so splicing and all that fun stuff doesnt intimidate us.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
my 91 E350 has a stand alone computer. Its mounted under the heater core. Bad location if the heater core leaks. The wiring harness might be a problem but with all the schematics available, it should be possible.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks wood. would you be able to post a picture of it because i got no clue what it looks like. I will probably pull the controller and every wire leading from it and see what it connects to and what not.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Already have checked out Baumann. I have read mixed reviews on their unit but for less than half the price of other units its my primary backup plan for right now

·
Registered
540 Posts
I tried a Baumann on another conversion, didn't like it. Went with a Powertrain Control Solution unit in my Bronco, absolutely love it! And yes, you need speed and tps pids. You can also use tach, but not really needed. JS.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I need a little ime but I will post a pic of the controller and plug. Its not something I ever took a pic of.

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
I am interested too. This might would prove easier than swapping all the factory wiring into mine and having to maintain a speed density computer. To those that have done the swap how easy is it? How well does it funcion? To the poster that didn't like the Bauman---why not?

thanks
tim

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what i have read about baumann it doesnt allow for as much control and doesnt provide the same quality shifts of the higher priced units. If you get a aftermarket controller you still need a wiring harness (they are kind enough to provide one for around $150) and some sensors.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Correct, the Baumann didn't allow as much control as the PCS. I can plug a lap top into the PCS and make any change you want, down to adjusting line pressure. I can also data log, which is handy! I used the factory harness and plugs, just spliced into the PCS harness. You will have to add a throttle position sensor though, and yes PCS sell them. JS.

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Correct, the Baumann didn't allow as much control as the PCS. I can plug a lap top into the PCS and make any change you want, down to adjusting line pressure. I can also data log, which is handy! I used the factory harness and plugs, just spliced into the PCS harness. You will have to add a throttle position sensor though, and yes PCS sell them. JS.
How much did you pay for the PCS, if you don't mind me asking.

tim

·
Registered
540 Posts
Not fair to say, I used to own a wholesale parts distribution warehouse and get some pretty good deals. If you shop around I think you could get one for around $650 maybe less. Sounds high, but worth every penny. JS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts