Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched with no luck, the orange seal that holds the transmission filter has been a huge pain. I have gotten the majority out but even with the thinnest of screw drivers or hook I still can't get deep enough. The lip that seals the filter in place can it come out and be placed back in? If so what is the name of it?
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
642 Posts
Dp you have a set of picks. I used a right angle pick and it came out no problem

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you don't have a right angle pick handy, try taking a cheap thin flat blade and about 3/16" of the very tip to 90 degrees. I use one like this to get behind the orange seal; slide it around the back side and slowly work it out from at 3 points but, they do break and come out in pieces if they get hard.

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
If you don't have a right angle pick handy, try taking a cheap thin flat blade and about 3/16" of the very tip to 90 degrees. I use one like this to get behind the orange seal; slide it around the back side and slowly work it out from at 3 points but, they do break and come out in pieces if they get hard.
Exactly watt he said... Good luck

Allcruisen :imp :usa

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have a set of picks, it just seems like I cant get in there enough, is there such a thing as being to rough? I'm not saying I'm hammering at it but is ok to pry without fear of damage to the inner metal seal?

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
I do have a set of picks, it just seems like I cant get in there enough, is there such a thing as being to rough? I'm not saying I'm hammering at it but is ok to pry without fear of damage to the inner metal seal?
The seal itself is rubber (or some similar material) coated metal. It's alot tougher than you would think and its kind of a press fit. As long as you don't scratch or nick the metal sealing surface use whatever method you want to get that sucker out.Personally I would try to bend one edge inward with a screwdriver, (don't scratch the sealing surface) That will remove its structural integrity and you should be able to pull it out.
That said Mine came out with a hook pick fairly easily.
3rd from the left

·
Registered
'91 5.0 E4OD, 6" long-arm lift, shackle-flip, 35" Procomp M/Ts, 4.56 gears & lockers
406 Posts
I also used a pick. It was a little tough to get out, and I may have nicked the surrounding metal getting it out, but keep working at it with a small right-angle pick and it'll come out.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I also used a pick. It was a little tough to get out, and I may have nicked the surrounding metal getting it out, but keep working at it with a small right-angle pick and it'll come out.
Get a flat-head screwdriver you don't care about, a bench vice, a blow torch and a hammer make a good "stuff removal tool." Works better than pics for the tough stuff.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
trans seal

So I went back out to work on it some more, there is a very thin ring left, but a lot of broken of pieces mixed with tranny fluid. Some of the metal like seal looks as if some of the orange seal had fused itself on there. I'm assuming the stain look is ok, and what I'm getting as is as long as I gently pry, I wont damage it. My last question is how do I know if the filter is in once I am at the point? I'm guessing it suctioned in there, what can happen if I get it wrong, just as further knowledge. Im concerned about the little broken pieces.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts