Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for feedback from anyone who's used either the Monster Transmissions (Ford E4ODMega Monster Complete Transmission Rebuild Kit) or the Transmission Bench ( Deluxe Super Kit 96 - 05 & the TransGo Reprogramming Kit HP-2). This is to rebuild my 96 E4OD with approx 176K. The engine was already rebuilt (approx 1500 miles on rebuild). I'm doing a restoration anyway have been working slowly on the interior. I've had it parked in my garage for a few weeks now and it started leaking the last time I moved it. Now I've got a good puddle on the ground mats I put under it after I realized it was leaking. I figured since I'll have to pull the transmission to address any leaking seals I may as well rebuild the transmission. It'll be the first time I've ever rebuilt a transmission but it doesn't look too difficult. I like a good challenge either way.

·
Registered
1983 Bronco. 460 with EFI/C6-6” lift riding on 3/4 axles
13 Posts
It is definitely doable if you have the time. It will definitely take you longer than a transmission shop. I highly recommend getting a good manual on the transmission first and read up on the process. That will give you and idea of what your jumping into and what tools you will need.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is definitely doable if you have the time. It will definitely take you longer than a transmission shop. I highly recommend getting a good manual on the transmission first and read up on the process. That will give you and idea of what your jumping into and what tools you will need.
Yes...I definitely have the time. I'm not in a hurry and actually enjoy working on my own vehicles. I found a video series on YouTube by the "Transmission Bench" folks that walks you through the complete disassembly/rebuild with their kit. To include building a temporary transmission caddy to hold it while doing the rebuild. They also sell the manual for about $30 if I remember right.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Do yourself a favor - if you go through with it - get a tub of Transmission assembly lube. I refuse to rebuild automatics anymore - that and gears are the only thing I won't do myself anymore. It's definitely doable. I just hate the taste / smell of ATF and if this is your first rebuild, odds are you will be under it again after install (valve body / etc). Good luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do yourself a favor - if you go through with it - get a tub of Transmission assembly lube. I refuse to rebuild automatics anymore - that and gears are the only thing I won't do myself anymore. It's definitely doable. I just hate the taste / smell of ATF and if this is your first rebuild, odds are you will be under it again after install (valve body / etc). Good luck.
Thanks for the advice on the assembly lube. I'll definitely add that to my list of must-haves....showing my ignorance here but what do you mean by (valve body / etc)? Leaks post rebuild?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Adjustments etc. I've never done a E4OD - but I've done a few 700R4's, Turbo 350/400 and a string of 200R4's (Which soured my on slushbox rebuilds). I can't remember not having to drop the pan after rebuild and make an adjustment / change or tweak. Maybe it's just me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Adjustments etc. I've never done a E4OD - but I've done a few 700R4's, Turbo 350/400 and a string of 200R4's (Which soured my on slushbox rebuilds). I can't remember not having to drop the pan after rebuild and make an adjustment / change or tweak. Maybe it's just me.
Thank you for the advice. I will definitely take my time...hopefully I don't have to get back under it once I'm done...fingers crossed.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks for the advice on the assembly lube. I'll definitely add that to my list of must-haves....showing my ignorance here but what do you mean by (valve body / etc)? Leaks post rebuild?
Valve body (basically a shift kit) is a great, inexpensive upgrade for the E4OD. It makes a huge difference. One of my favorite upgrades.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Valve body (basically a shift kit) is a great, inexpensive upgrade for the E4OD. It makes a huge difference. One of my favorite upgrades.
Gotcha...that's actually one of the upgrades that come the Transmission Bench rebuild kit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts