Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 bronco with a stock 302 pushing the e4od. I ran into some issues about a week ago. As I would accelerate it would not want to shift out of first gear. It would wind up to 3700-4700 before it would shift. I could get it to shift at the normal rpm, but only if I let off on the throttle, and then it would shift 2, 3, almost immediately out of 1st. It has no codes in the obd1, has fresh fluid srevived to the appropriate level, and a brand new tps. Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions are more than welcome.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,094 Posts
Did this start before or after the TPS change?

The symptoms you're having are usually either the TPS, or your speedo isn't working.

What brand TPS did you install?

·
Registered
5 Posts
E4OD
I have begun a similar issue with my 1995 Bronco 5.0. It shifts the same way and then the OD light flashes. I changed the VSS with no results. I have an EEC-IV reader and received a pass code then EGR low voltage and VSS. Re-set all plugs EGR, MAF etc. ran codes again received pass codes, EGR gone still have VSS, Did KOER cylinder check all pass codes then followed by code 88. It says its choke relay out of range , dual plug input control failure and shift solenoid 3/4 - 4/3. Going to pull MLPS plug and solenoid plug and clean to see if that does anything. Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
Check the plug on the passenger side of tranny that plugs into the solenoid pack. They get wet and corroded. It won't cost anything but time and it could solve the issue possibly. I had to remove the access panel to get to mine so I could clean it up. I also had a better vantage point to see it by doing that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I changed the tps after the issue started and it didn't seem to make a bit of difference. Also I dont remember what brand it was but it was the more expensive version from O'Reilly's

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After further examination I had the inputs to shift tested. All signals came back good, only there was no shift when it was commanded it go into second.. Only then did I think to shift it into 2 manually. With the manual shift at the right rpm it works 4.0. What I thought was the subsequent 2, 3 shift after winding up in 1st I'm thinking is straight into 3rd and then torque converter lockout. thus the clutches are bad on 2 and a rebuild is in order. How does that check out?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jmoor112 in my research I came across your issue and people solving it with changing the speedometer/odometer control module (may go by more than one name) behind the cluster. just a thought

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll look at the speedometer/odometer module I believe mine is connected with the 4WABS module. At this point Im quite frustrated. Im looking for a powertrain control / emissions diagnosis manual. Ive examined all connections, cleaned and reconnected. I tryed disconnecting the 4WABS and my OD light didn't flash yet I could feel it shift first to second no further. I even tryed jumping out the 4WABS as stated in another thread just wasn't sure if I was to reconnect it after jumping it :-/ drove it anyway having the same issue OD light flashing, high rpm hard shifting. I have all the manuals excluding the diagnosis manual. Can't swing bringing it to the shop. I had a transmission service about a year ago there was a thread stating it could have clogged the solenoid (might be draining the fluid to see). Anyone with a way to proceed I would truly appreciate it :whiteflag
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for your information. I actually have a connector that was referenced as a brake fluid sensor at the master cylinder that I had to disconnect because it leaked brake fluid and began to smoke excessively (electrical fire like. My hood is also bent there were it appears someone tryied to pry it open before my ownership). It is located at the master cylinder in my 95. The connector and sensor is burnt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you
Recall Date: JAN 27, 2005
Recall Title: SPEED CONTROL SYSTEM MODIFICATION
NHTSA Recall Number: 05V017000
Ford Recall Number: 05S28
Recall Description: ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES AND PICKUP TRUCKS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN.
Risk to Safety: THIS CONDITION COULD LEAD TO A FIRE. FIRES HAVE OCCURRED WHILE THE VEHICLES WERE PARKED WITH THE IGNITION 'OFF.'
Remedy Program: AS AN INTERIM REPAIR, OWNERS WILL BE INSTRUCTED TO RETURN THEIR VEHICLES TO THEIR DEALERS TO HAVE THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH DISCONNECTED. AS SOON AS REPLACEMENT PARTS ARE AVAILABLE (EARLY APRIL 2005), OWNERS WILL BE INSTRUCTED TO RETURN TO THE DEALERS FOR INSTALLATION OF A NEW SWITCH FREE OF CHARGE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FORD AT 1-866-436-7332. (NOTE: ALSO SEE RECALLS 05V388 AND 06V286)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts