Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found out I need a new torque converter and I am debating how much money I want to put into the E4OD. My Father in Law works as a mechanic at the local Ford dealer so I am getting cost on parts and labor which certainly helps. I am looking at $600 for the torque converter - $450 for converter and new pump and $150 for the Trans. Guys labor. He has offered to put in a shift kit and is in the process of gathering free parts to replace the drum and clutches to a diesel set up. I think he said the stock one has 3 – 4 clutches and the diesel has 5 – 6 clutches or something like that. So, the plan is
Torque converter and pump $450
Mild Shift kit $35
Labor $150
Misc parts and seals $200 – 300
This is hoping that there isn’t anything else wrong once he gets in there, he doesn’t seems to think there will be any issues.
The question, am missing any parts or upgrades I should do while I am in there? The labor cost is staying the same so if I can add any other upgrades I will. According to the Trans. Guy, the E4OD will be more than enough even once I do my SAS and plan on running 38 – 40’s and do some abuse. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, while it is down for the week I am going to do the sag swap and add a PS, engine oil and trans coolers with filters.

·
Registered
319 Posts
That seems really cheap to me even if its a hook up. I bet it goes from 1000.00
to 2500.00 once he pulls the tranny. You dont want to looking for a cheap tranny rebuild hopefully you will come out alright. Have you looked at the e4od
that tci offers they are 2200 bucks but you get a good tranny and a warranty when mine goes i will be going that route.

·
Currently FSB divorced
956 Posts
Instead of a shift kit get the updated valve body- Learned through experience. I cannot find the part number I had it off of the lightning site but can't find it. Definetly the drum (make sure it's steel not aluminum) and clutches as that is a week spot of these damn things as well as the pump, be sure to check the fluid before you pull out of the lot! Just because he is a Friend sometimes that makes people lazy again speaking from experience:thumbup-Bob

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Where does the $60.00 B&M Super cooler and

$30.00 Summit brand remote filter kit fit in ?

Sixlitre

·
Currently FSB divorced
956 Posts

Sixlitre
As the rebuild is happening!!:thumbup. That is probably the "best" thing you can do for your tranny's life that is cost efficient.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will be putting in the coolers and filters while it is down for 1 - 2 weeks. I was also able to talk the boss lady into letting me do some misc. engine/tranny upgrades, I played the "it's going to be down anyway we might as well get it all done at once so you don't have to drive my sorry butt to and from the office" can't believe she agreed so quickly SWEET! It's taken me 15 years to figure her out, I just hope it doesn't take that long to figure out my Bronco.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
I just hope it doesn't take that long to figure out my Bronco.
You mean that it's a never ending money pit ?:toothless

Sixlitre

·
Registered
382 Posts

Sixlitre

Um, that was part of the plan too---just thought that with all the E4OD writeups stressing the cooler/filter I thought it was a given:toothless

Anyways, I'm in the middle of searching E4OD problems right now because I didn't get to my transmission mods soon enough:banghead After work the other night mine wouldn't shift into drive (1-2 fine) the first couple of times it tried too--acted like the torque convertor or the bands were slipping (-20 something outside). If I don't find what I'm looking for I'll make a new thread.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Navs and Expys (FSB replacement) used similar trans to the E4OD didnt they?
No on the diesel converter though, diesel /=/ gas.

·
Super Moderator
26,333 Posts
yo!
I have some TSBs & aftermarket Links on parts upgrades/changes from your year to 96+; take a look at em and discuss cost and appl. w/the mechanic;
http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=63

The aftermarket suppliers are well-known and have good reps.
Also;
"If it becomes necessary to overhaul your E4OD transmission, you should perform as many updates as possible if it is a pre-1995 unit. E4OD component updates include, as an example, the following items:

Improved (thicker) converter clutch piston (circa 1994), prevents the formation of cracks which relieve fluid pressure from the apply side of the clutch, causing it to slip and even bluing the outside surface of the torque converter in extreme cases. Ensure that your new converter contains an updated OEM or "LuK" brand heavy-duty clutch. This can be difficult, as many torque converter suppliers and remanufacturers may not use this new style of clutch.

Higher displacement front pump (for 1995) provides more fluid capacity for faster engagement of reverse and greater lube flow.

New (for 1994) 4-pinion overdrive planet and input shaft assemblies replace older 3 and 4 pinion units which tend to develop cracks in the carrier under heavy loads.

Center support update kit (for units built from 1989 through part of 1994) replaces wear-prone bushing with a ball bearing and contains a new overdrive stub shaft.

Stronger overdrive clutch cylinder snap ring which will not dislodge.

Revised sun gear and rear case bushings (circa 1992 model year) provide longer wear life and better lubrication.

Four pinion planet carriers (first used in 1992 model year)

New forward clutch friction plates with hardened internal splines cure "chatter" and "no-drive" conditions in E4OD..."

V1.1 © Copyright 1994, 1995, 1998 by Karl Baumann. All rights reserved"
GL!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts