Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and couldn't come up with a scenario like this--if I missed one I'm sorry:toothless

I got in Buford (that's my 91 Bronco's name in case you're wondering) Friday night after work and coaxed him to start (-20 something outside) without being plugged in. I waited about 20-30 sec after the oil pressure came up to take off. I got out of the parking lot and around a couple corners before I got to a long enough straight for it to go into 3rd gear. The 1-2 shift was good, but the 2-3 shift didn't happen--it just hung there and let the RPMs go up. I let off then gave it some more gas, I was slow enough for it to go into 2nd. Then it did the same thing on the 2-3 shift. I had to wait for about 20 seconds while the SPs opened the gate and I left base. It didn't do it anymore after that--worked fine.

The problem is that the transmission whines all the time now, especially sitting in Park or Neutral and while slowing down. I checked the fluid tonight when I got home and it's in the cross-hatch area, red, and smells like transmission fluid should. There is no Check Engine light, but I'll hook up and try to pull codes tomorrow.

Without having any codes does anyone have any ideas? Is there any good way to tell if it might be a convertor or pump?

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,865 Posts
so the wine is there even after you let the engine/tranny warm up properly before driving? you checked the tranny fluid while the engine was running right?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so the wine is there even after you let the engine/tranny warm up properly before driving? you checked the tranny fluid while the engine was running right?
Yep, and yep. I let it warm up for about 10-15 minutes in neutral last night before I left work. I parked on the level part of my driveway and checked the fluid right away after I got home. The whine is kind of like when a power steering pump gets low on fluid.

·
Registered
217 Posts
From the scenario that you described...it sounds like when you went to take off, the pump ran dry. Fluid was too cold and viscous for the pump to pull it from the pan fast enough, until it got a little bit of heat in it. -20 isn't very kind to parts that aren't warm. Drain the fluid and install an external filter. I just about bet the current fluid has a couple of sprinkles of metal in it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's +4 here now, I pulled the codes, and took it out for a drive. The only code I got for the tranny was 26 which is the Transmission Oil Temp. sensor voltage was out of self-test specs.

On the drive I noticed that it made the noise a little bit when I first started out. It got better by the time I got back home.

I hope I didn't hurt anything too bad (pumps aren't cheap). I'll see how things go for the next couple of days, but I think I'll plan on getting the Factory Tech valve body http://www.factorytechtransmissions.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6, change the filter, install an external filter and cooler, and finally switch it over to Amsoil. I've got the Amsoil right now, I was just waiting until I decided what I was going to do with the other stuff before I put it in----I guess maybe I should have switched it over before last Friday:toothless

·
Registered
100 Posts
We have a tractor that we use for feeding cattle and plowing snow in the winter, and when you use it in cold weather the pumps whine like crazy until it gets warm. Last winter the fluid level got really low, and the pump whined like crazy. I parked it asap, and put topped up the fluid, but the pump still whined alot more than it used to. It got better after a few days, but its still noisier than it was before that happened. A couple of months later the tranny died in it... SOOOO expensive to fix.. Of course Im sure tractors and e4ods are very different, but maybe the same sort of thing happened to your tranny?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know this is old (not as old as the last thread I updated though....), but I thought I would close it out with what I did to resolve the problem for those who search for similar problems.

I dropped the pan and much to my surprise the magnet only had the normal "fuzz" on it and the fluid didn't have any chunks in it from what I could see. I did get that FactoryTech valve body and it made a big difference in how Buford shifts, especially under WOT. In normal driving the shifts are much firmer as well without being too harsh.

I might be a little jaded because I am an AMSOIL dealer, but I noticed a huge improvement there as well. In the years since I've done this we have dipped below -30F on quite a few nights and there is almost no delay from when I put it into gear and the transmission getting into gear. When I'm on dayshift it's plugged in at the house, but it doesn't get plugged in at work when I'm on overnight shifts.

As for pump whine, it's been over three years and it's been gone since I did this :thumbup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts