Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to do this swap (E4OD-ZF). However, I don't have a donor truck, it's all wrecking yard for me.
I have a couple questions that I haven't been able to anwser yet.
I have visited the local parts store to get an Idea of the cost and in doing so found a couple issues.

Flywheel and clutch size: they (SHUCKS) say that the F-150/Bronco came with either a 10.5" or a 11" clutch and the F-250 (4.9-5.8) came with a 11.5" only?
Basicly: Which would work?? I have only been able to find 2 different part numbers for flywheels. I THINK that the 10.5" and 11" share the same flywheel and the 11.5 uses it's own?? whatcha think??
Obviously I would like the larger clutch.

Master cylinder: SUCKS I mean Shucks (local store) said that f-250 and bronco used different master cylinders. Online Shucks say that they use the same.

Are they the same??? Anyone know??

I will be driving a couple hours to the wrecker who has the tranny and I would like to get the other parts from that truck as well!!

I thought that the Bronco only used 1 drive line?? Through searching here I found a couple people posted that there are different ones out there. I found the TRANNY thread and someone there said that they were working on getting a compatability list together?? Is there a list??

Does someone know if my E4OD driveline will work with the ZF or not??

All help appreciated!!

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
Flywheel and clutch size: they (SHUCKS) say that the F-150/Bronco came with either a 10.5" or a 11" clutch and the F-250 (4.9-5.8) came with a 11.5" only?
Basicly: Which would work?? I have only been able to find 2 different part numbers for flywheels. I THINK that the 10.5" and 11" share the same flywheel and the 11.5 uses it's own?? whatcha think??
Obviously I would like the larger clutch.
I suggest the 11" it'll last longer and hold up to more power. I paid $80 for the flywheel at vatozone and another $250 for a clutch

Master cylinder: SUCKS I mean Shucks (local store) said that f-250 and bronco used different master cylinders. Online Shucks say that they use the same.

Are they the same??? Anyone know??
The slaves are the same. Order this kit, you get a slave, a braided stainless clutch line and a master cylinder.

http://bcbroncos.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=813

I will be driving a couple hours to the wrecker who has the tranny and I would like to get the other parts from that truck as well!!

I thought that the Bronco only used 1 drive line?? Through searching here I found a couple people posted that there are different ones out there. I found the TRANNY thread and someone there said that they were working on getting a compatability list together?? Is there a list??

Does someone know if my E4OD driveline will work with the ZF or not??

All help appreciated!!
The Front driveshaft that you have will be too long so grab that and you'll need a 2" longer rear drive shaft as well. Could get one from a 5.0/M5OD Bronco but I doubt you'll find one. You need the 92-96 pedals and steering column mount and they are different than the 87-91. You need a transmission crossmember that would be on the donor truck too.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!!

I looked at a 94 F150 today which had allready been robbed blind!!
It did have the pedals and brackets. I left them there, He wanted 50$ for them. Is that fair??
You said Steering column???
I didn't notice that they are connected. Are you refering to the large cast piece???? I know that I need the piece that the pedal axels ride in but I'm not clear on the steering column?? Please explain, are there clearance issues??

I'm going to assume that I woud be able to use the front drive line from the donor truck as well??

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
The pedal assembly holds in the steering column so you need the 92-96 specific part. When you unbolt it from the donor truck just take all the parts. You need the front driveshaft from that donor truck but I doubt it's there. I paid $75 for pedals and a master cylinder. Then I bought a new master cylinder with the BCBronco kit. $50 seems fair to me

·
Registered
40 Posts
i have a set of pedals brand new in the box for $100 plus ship if your interested. then you wouldnt have to worry bout worn out busings from a used set of pedals. i can send you pics if you want.
thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
When I did the swap in my 90 I used the front drive line from anF-150 with a 4.9L and M5OD and it worked good. The rear I sent to a drive line shop in Bellingham.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
444 I want the pedals, so long as their 92-96??

·
Registered
162 Posts
Dont forget the computer, and the wiring harness that runs from the front fender to the tranny. I just did the swap in my 97 f-350, its easy.

·
Registered
162 Posts
O and grab the floor pan out of the donor truck. Saves you on guessing on wear to cut the hole in your carpet.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey danyrm,

Did the wiring harness fror the manual plug into the same plug the auto tranny harness comes from???

Havent had the time to start yet, looking like the 1st week of April.

Have a stack of shinny new parts in the garadge though!!!

I looked and couldn't find any definite answer, will the front drive shaft from a 80-86 bronco, which has a 4 spd work with the ZF???

I have a complete 81 to rape and pillage!!

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
Dont forget the computer, and the wiring harness that runs from the front fender to the tranny. I just did the swap in my 97 f-350, its easy.
You dont need the harness or the computer. All you need to do is jump the neutral safety switch and it'll work fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts