Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to try e85 in my 92 bronco and was just wondering if anyone on here has done this. The only reason I'm running e85 is just to see if she'll run on it.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
We were going to run a carb that would do E85 on the 85' that we are putting together. It takes more E85 as compared to gasoline to make power.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Going to run like crap without tunning for additional fuel, and your fuel system will likely not be large enough to support providing enough fuel for a proper tune. I'm guessing injectors and probably the pump will be too small.

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
i don't know if this applies here or not, but in my mazda (turbo charged 4 banger, direct injection) people run e85 mixed up to 15% for better performance. however, they also suffer from what we call black death. it's a tar buildup in the high pressure fuel pump (we have two pumps) that cause it to seize. you have to disassemble and clean the pump every so often.

i don't know how or if that would buildup would occur in the broncos or not. but it's something to consider.

·
Registered
7 Posts
as a boater we also don't run e85 on our outboards, the alcohol gums up the lines pretty good. I am not sure, but I believe the newer cars that have been made to run e85 have lines and pump that can deal with this gas. Also, if you let it sit even for a week it will separate.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I'm sure it'll need a tune. Right now I just want to see if it will run on it. When I convert to maf from sd I plan to have it tuned. As far as the bronco sitting around it only sits parked for about 3 days in a row because it's not my daily. I plan on converting my other two trucks to e85 as soon as I figure out what all I need.

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
as a boater we also don't run e85 on our outboards, the alcohol gums up the lines pretty good. I am not sure, but I believe the newer cars that have been made to run e85 have lines and pump that can deal with this gas. Also, if you let it sit even for a week it will separate.
you know, thinking about this even more, the ethanol in the pump gas these days is what has spurred the market for ethanol free fuel for gas powered lawn tools like line trimmers.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-TruFuel-4-Cycle-Ethanol-free-Fuel-6527238/203571144

"Ethanol-free formula eliminates risk of engine seizure or costly repairs due to ethanol related moisture attraction and phase separation, commonly found in station gasoline"

·
Registered
415 Posts
ya know Jet A is just highly refined kerosene . . . . it will run as well on that as it will on E85 . . . . make sure your AAA is up to date

·
Registered
7 Posts
you know, thinking about this even more, the ethanol in the pump gas these days is what has spurred the market for ethanol free fuel for gas powered lawn tools like line trimmers.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-TruFuel-4-Cycle-Ethanol-free-Fuel-6527238/203571144

"Ethanol-free formula eliminates risk of engine seizure or costly repairs due to ethanol related moisture attraction and phase separation, commonly found in station gasoline"
yes, we also have ethanol free fuel for recreational vehicles. it is a few cents more than regular e90. any ethanol creates havoc on older engines, be it 2 cycle or regular.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't plan on running jet fuel cause I don't have a Diesel engine in the bronco. The e85 is made to be burned in gas motors. Oh AAA is paid up lol I wouldn't try it with out it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been reading stuff all over the place that says e85 is fine to stuff that says it won't work. That's why I was hoping to find some people here that has tried it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Your stuff - just repost in 6 months or so and update all on how the experiment went.

I would only use if no other fuel available and then would add a fuel additive.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My guess as to whether or not your bronco will run off E85? My bet is it will run fine off E85 as long as you don't accelerate hard.

I run two race go karts converted from LO206 gas motors to run methanol. I had to drill out the jets on the carb to get sufficient flow, but the methanol tends to gum up everything and shoves water (byproduct of burning methanol/ethanol) into the oil so I have to drain the fuel and oil after every race and replace fuel filters often. The methanol also dissolves many types of plastic and rubber.

Seeing as how your 92 bronco is OBD 1, the computer will probably be able to adjust to the additional fuel needed to run the e85 based on the information it receives from various sensors, and you won't notice much difference in power unless you get up in the rpm where you'll start to starve the engine of fuel. It will probably run fine if you use it on a daily basis, until your fuel pump gums up or your injector seals start to leak. Also keep in mind that ethanol is a surfactant so it strips the oil off your cylinder wall and causes more engine wear than normal gasoline.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The bronco never sees high rpm's. It gets drove above 4days a week on my off days so it won't sit very long between fill ups. If it works then great if not oh well. I'll post how it turns up good or bad.

·
Registered
415 Posts
should be interesting to say the least but i suspect mileage will be even worse then it is now (if ya can believe that :D), sure its cheaper but you use SO much more of it that it negates any savings. But please do report your findings inquiring minds want to know :cool:

In my world, the marine world, we play hell with ethanol additives in our fuel. I totally re built my fuel systems to adapt to the occasional street gas but for the most part i run 91 otc straight marine fuel with zero e.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm with you Steve83. I can't think of any good reason to run E85, unless I had a burning desire to destroy my fuel system's rubber parts and corrode the rest.

On a seriously modded application, with forced induction, I would consider an E85 conversion utilizing an aftermarket fuel system. That's it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Your engine will run lean as shit and you will likely damage your fuel system. Running lean will tear shit up. E85 requires flex fuel or e85 tune. You can't even run e85 in new cars unless they're designed for it.

If you do it, post pictures of what you break.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts