Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice rainy day in Portsmouth. I was sitting on the back porch this morning sipping on a cup of coffee when this beauty flies through the yard and lands on the dock.

First saw him over a year ago when the mom and dad were flying him up and down the river. Yeah I know..... its just a Bald Eagle some might be saying, but if you knew how over developed this area was and how polluted these waters used to be...........

Anyhow.... what a magnificent bird! Nice to see proof of their comeback.

Now I just hope he finds a mate and stays local.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Nice!!! I have some video that I took just up the road this summer of one diving into the river and coming out with a trout in its mouth. Ill have to see if I can find it and post it up. Very beautiful birds.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Thats pretty amazing. Ive never seen one in the wild. Aren't those things are endangered species?

·
Registered
980 Posts
That's a cool picture. I have been duck hunting in the same spot on the Rappahannock for years. I have been seeing more and more Bald Eagles every year. Its good to see them.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Back in my Seattle days, I volunteered with the Forest Service to do Bald Eagle population counts. We would go up on the river before the sun came up and hide out and watch them come down the river looking or food. We would count them, note the location etc etc... it was a really cool experience. Found a couple of nests and watched some of the young birds grow up......

I believe they Bald Eagle is not longer on the endagered species list but of course is still a protected species.

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What does it mean, they were flying him up and down the river?

Cool pics BTW.
Eagles are very territorial and have about a 3sq. mile area they call their their own.

When we first saw him last year, he still had his juvenile feathers. The mom and dad will take them out teach them to fly and fish then abandon them in an area outside of their own.

We also have a nesting pair over on the Museum grounds on the other side of the James River that have been there for about 7 or so years now. I see them just about everyday. This might be their offspring?

Over the years the Bald Eagle population in this area (on the James River) has made an incredible comeback. Aside from the nesting pair at the (Mariners') Museum, I've seen two others locally, one on the Nansemond River near Ferry Point Road and another I watch from the high banks of the James River at Drewry's Bluff near Richmond.

Hopefully this guy finds a mate and moves in locally?

·
No prepuce on my -
1,167 Posts
Sweet. Saw one carrying off a road kill coon once up north. They are a big bird in person up close.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Very cool, I haven't seen a bald eagle in a long time. I've seen their nests every once in a while going through passes and what not though.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Wow! I can't believe some of you saying that you've never seen one in the wild. We see them every summer up here on the lake and down where I used to live along the Mississippi they were around all year. It's awesome to see them congregate in the winter. You might have as many as 20-30 in the same tree. They'de also land on the ice around an open spot of water and just wait. We actually saw two last month heading for the river, and a couple others flying in various places. This last summer we watched one while we were fishing trying to get a duck that was swimming on the lake. Another time this summer we saw on drop probably a 5-6 lb fish out of it's talons from about 60 ft. up back into the lake.

And yes they are off the endangered species list but are very much protected. Get caught with a bald eagle feather and get ready to sell your house to pay the fine or do a long time in jail.

·
Registered
832 Posts
cool. i havent seen a bald eagle since i was at yellowstone a couple years back. gorgeous birds

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I saw two last may in the UP, I couldn't tell if they were trying to mate or kill each other. I took the most amazing photos, then i dropped my $500 camera in the tahquamenon(sp?) river:banghead:banghead:cry:cry:cry:doh0715::doh0715:

Beautiful birds, just watching them fly and catch fish was a sight i will never forget.

·
Registered
44 Posts
thats freakin awsome

·
Registered
868 Posts
Cool bird...we have a pretty good sized nesting population here in central Texas....although I have never seen one.....and If my backyard looked like yours....I would never leave the house.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
very cool, a bit north of me at the kinzua resevior, or at lake erie, once the lake freezes over some people feed the bald eagles with roadkills, or whatever's in season.

i really love those birds, very cool to watch. i havent decided weather or not feeding them is really a good thing. theyre completely self reliant all the rest of the year. and they only allow a small amount of food to be put out at either location. its pretty cool to see a bunch of them together though...

·
Registered
29 Posts
We have several around my house up here. We had a nuisance mini pincher running around the neighborhood, until he became eagle food. Good at getting rid of those problems.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts