Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I have officially started gathering parts for my leaf SAS. I went to the local U-Pull it and got a Dana 60 with leaf springs. It also came with complete steering linkage for a just 400 bucks. Only thing left now for the front is gathering hangers, shackles, shock mounts, shocks, and brake lines for the swap parts. I do on plan on refreshing this thing so Im just really talking about swap parts as of now. I will post pics later. It was a long day wrestling this thing out of the junkyard by myself. FYI next time I will find a friend. :toothless

·
Banned
1,304 Posts
Today I have officially started gathering parts for my leaf SAS. I went to the local U-Pull it and got a Dana 60 with leaf springs. It also came with complete steering linkage for a just 400 bucks. Only thing left now for the front is gathering hangers, shackles, shock mounts, shocks, and brake lines for the swap parts. I do on plan on refreshing this thing so Im just really talking about swap parts as of now. I will post pics later. It was a long day wrestling this thing out of the junkyard by myself. FYI next time I will find a friend. :toothless
What year?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are some pics of my find after I had cleaned off all the mud.

The axle came out of a 96 F350 with a Powerstroke. I wanted a kingpin but this is well inside my budget considering all I got.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Should have grabbed the rear as well. Don't want to run to differnet lug patterns for to long. The newer axle should hopefully require less money in terms of parts needed for a rebuild. Great intial price for the axle and springs. Time to start wrenching.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well for the rear I have another Dana 60 out of a 78 3/4ton. Super strong and lighter than the 10.25. I got it in a package deal and I couldnt really beat the price.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Well for the rear I have another Dana 60 out of a 78 3/4ton. Super strong and lighter than the 10.25. I got it in a package deal and I couldnt really beat the price.
Super strong Dana 60 rear???? This the same 30 spline Dana 60 rear that all of the early trucks came with?
Nothing too terribly strong about this axle. Unfortunately without some extensive modification it is just not. It does require some work to the spindles to even accommodate a 35 spline axle.
That Sterling would have probably been a more desirable choice.

Not a bad price for the front axle though. Nice find.

Oh, you probably should grab the fixed front spring hanger from the donor truck. This is the hanger just under the cab. It will be where the shackle will hang after you build or buy a front hanger.

Like this one:

You can also use the front shock mounts from the donor as well:

Or the 99 to 04 SD mount will work:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool I appreciate the info on the rear. Its not to late to go back and get a rear axle. They are plentiful in the junkyard I went to. I just jumped on the front early because of the rarity of getting a 60. Alot of guys like to mud race down here so they snag up everything. Plus the rear would be easier to get off next time too. Nice set up btw. Im really a little early for my time line on spending money on this but couldnt pass up a good deal. :rockon

·
B350 built at THE SHOP
2,144 Posts

How much tire do you intend to run? Is the inverted "t" style steering going to be enough? Just asking because this is probably the major difference between the KP axle and the ball joint.
The bal joint does not give you a reasonable option for crossover steering.
Big lifts and inverted "t" style cause some clearance issues with the pass side leaf spring.

·
Banned
1,304 Posts
How much tire do you intend to run? Is the inverted "t" style steering going to be enough? Just asking because this is probably the major difference between the KP axle and the ball joint.
The bal joint does not give you a reasonable option for crossover steering.
Big lifts and inverted "t" style cause some clearance issues with the pass side leaf spring.
the tie rod hit the spring on mine with stock leafs when drooped out.

·
B350 built at THE SHOP
2,144 Posts
the tie rod hit the spring on mine with stock leafs when drooped out.
Thats why a kp axle and crossover steering was an important part of my build:

No problems with this drag link angle.

·
Registered
527 Posts
So am I screwed or is there a solution?

I dont think anyone implied that you were screwed, its just not as easy to consider crossover steering without some modification.
Crossover for a king pin axle is a simple bolt on deal, but not as easy for the ball joint axle.
There are still solutions, but these might include either an expensive replacement knuckle, or machining the existing one and buying a steering arm that will fit.

This is only if you want to run serious lift or have clearance issues using stock leafs.

Above someone asked how much tire you plan on running, and this is a good question.
What are your intentions for this rig? The inverted t steering can be a useful type, or other simple solutions.
Much depends upon how much you intend to lift the vehicle.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Sorry will be running 38" at the biggest with no more than 6" of lift.

Thats not sooo bad. With this amount of tire, you can get away with inverted "T" style steering.
Your turning will be limited and you might have to use a zero rate AAL to lift the spring pack away from the axle. This will add a small amount of lift, but can gain enough clearance to keep the drag link out of the pass side spring.

This is what a set of stock springs looks like with your style steering on a Bronco with a 1 ton conversion:

Some might suggest a drop pitman arm, but I have found that the drop arm gets into the driver side spring at a full lock turn and the drive side compressed.
catch 22 really, but again, small adjustments can be made to accept this style of steering.:thumbup

1 - 20 of 45 Posts