Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently broke a u-joint, or maybe even the CV in the front driveshaft in my 1988 Bronc'. I was wondering what's the easiest way to remove the front driveshaft. The rear is easy because there is no cross member in the way, but in the front theres the T-case or Tranny crossmember in the way of the top of the D-shaft. Is it easier to work around the crossmember or just take it off? Need to get this fixed today. If it's not a u-joint I am just planning on taking the D-shaft out till next week when i can have a new one made. If you guys are confused on what Crossmember I am talking about I can get some pictures to help. Thanks!

-Tom

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So.. just work around the crossmember? shit thats a tight spot to get a wrench!

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Thats how it comes out. Unlock the hubs and with the T-case in 2 wheel drive rotate the shaft around untill you have access to half the bolts, then either lock the hubs or put the T-case in 4wheel drive and remove the bolts. Then turn teh shaft around and do the others.

Be sure when you get it out to wrap the u-joint in tape to keep the caps from falling off.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, already got it off and everything is good to go. Going wheeling today so hopefully i wont break the new joints.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Be glad you didnt break axle shafts.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New joints held up good. I almost rolled the bronc' though, on a wicked hill climb at Table Mesa Rd. Had both front tires out of the air at one point!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts